LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JustMike:
I don't know if my time on the webzone as a "lurker", then as a poster, has jaded me, but this thread almost seems like its setting up to excuse smiths poor passing numbers by blaming everyone else. Davis was just about being spooned out there by the defender on that play. Could he have made the play? Possibly, do I give him the blame? No. That play should have ended with a little yellow flag on the field.

So now its about Smith's poor passing numbers? I dont think Smith was the problem in the 49ers WINNING yesterday. Geez ...does it ever stop.

From Scout Niners digest...

Alex in control: In his first start in Harbaugh’s West Coast offensive system, much-maligned quarterback Alex Smith did little wrong, running the offense efficiently and taking what the Seattle defense was giving. Smith didn’t make one poor throw the entire game, completing 15 of 20 passes for 124 yards with no interceptions and no sacks. Smith also rushed for 22 yards, including a 1-yard TD run, and finished with a passer rating of 90.4
[ Edited by kezar49er on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I can't find a video of it but if you saw the game, you saw...clear as day. Alex shows great touch by dropping a ball beautifully in between coverage...VD sees the safety coming and tucks his arms in and lets it fall...

Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Dwight Clark...this is the class of tight end that Vernon belongs in but not if he won't take a hit to make the catch.

Alex threw a similarly great ball to Morgan in between two defenders down the sidelines and he went up, exposed his body, and made a perfect catch with his body...

Just sayin...

Dwight Clark, a tight end, that doesn't sound right. I hope you mean Dallas Clark.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Seriously?

Wow. You guys are rough. LOL!!

He led the team in receiving. He made 2 GREAT plays (in particular that back shoulder catch) for his QB and all you guys can think of is the one that got away? You may have also missed the part where the DB was pulling him backward. When I first saw it, I was expecting the yellow flag.

Vernon has been making catches and getting crushed for years. Thats happens alot when you run the Seam route. He is willing to take the hit. I dunno exactly what happened on that play, but when I saw it I thought that he didn't think he had a chance at it.

I mean...really? The O didn't perform well yesterday and your reaction here is to criticise the one guy who did anything because of one suspect play?

Personally, Frank Gore's play concerned me the most. It was rough sledding out there for most of the game, but even when it looked like he had a shot to get that extra yard for the first down or the TD...he was just incapable of making the play. He didn't have that burst or the power to get that extra yard.

I could have just been a bad game for him. I'm not drawing conclusions, but what I saw worried me a bit.
I don't think gore had a chance to get his legs this preseason I'm slightly worried also but I also think with his work ethic he will look at the film and come out a blazing against the cowgirls . What I've been saying all along on here "Patience" were building something here and it won't happen overnight as Bill Murray said in What about Bob "baby steps . then next thing you know we'll be running full throttle
Seriously?

He led the team in receiving. He made 2 GREAT plays (in particular that back shoulder catch) for his QB and all you guys can think of is the one that got away? You may have also missed the part where the DB was pulling him backward. When I first saw it, I was expecting the yellow flag.

Vernon has been making catches and getting crushed for years. Thats happens alot when you run the Seam route. He is willing to take the hit. I dunno exactly what happened on that play, but when I saw it I thought that he didn't think he had a chance at it.

I mean...really? The O didn't perform well yesterday and your reaction here is to criticise the one guy who did anything because of one suspect play?

Personally, Frank Gore's play concerned me the most. It was rough sledding out there for most of the game, but even when it looked like he had a shot to get that extra yard for the first down or the TD...he was just incapable of making the play. He didn't have that burst or the power to get that extra yard.

I could have just been a bad game for him. I'm not drawing conclusions, but what I saw worried me a bit.
I don't think gore had a chance to get his legs this preseason I'm slightly worried also but I also think with his work ethic he will look at the film and come out a blazing against the cowgirls . What I've been saying all along on here "Patience" were building something here and it won't happen overnight as Bill Murray said in What about Bob "baby steps . then next thing you know we'll be running full throttle
He was being held, stop parroting what Lynch and Stockton were saying. They have no f**king clue what they're talking about 90% of the time.
That was a PI call. Dude straight out grabbed his arm.

Refs were s**t this game. That personal foul on Williams...total horse s**t. I wanted to storm the field and kick the refs ass.
Originally posted by montana9er:
Seriously?

I agree about patience. I've been preaching it as well.

I think if they can get to 4-4 at midseason, they have a shot. That would give them 2 months to get the O figured out and most of their divisional games are in the second half.

I expected the game to be ugly, but a W is a W. Thats a divisional W as well.
Originally posted by krizay:
Hopefully we can GIF that one like the Lloyd one. But I doubt that will ever get done.

Still waiting to see this YAC phenom he was dubbed to be! Too fast for ............ too strong for ............

Decent player but still not worth the hype. Though the hype has cooled down to a simmer over the years I must say.

How about Michael Huff?
That was f**king pass interference, dude was grabbing him by the shoulder pads!!!!
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for 4evrfan.
I'll have to watch the clip again, but I don't recall a hold causing him to slow up and shorten his arms. He appeared to do that all on his own we he caught side of that safety bearing down on him. Still like VD, but that's not the first time he's short-armed a pass. However, that IS the first time I've seen him actually slow up on a route to asvoid the hit. The pass looked like it would have been dead on had he continued to hold his speed. Just didn't see where a hold actually prevented that. Granted, us mere mortals would bnot only have slowed up, but also gotten into a full fetal tuck, but pro football players are not mortal and make gazillions not to be. They're expected to at least make an attempt at catches like that.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'll have to watch the clip again, but I don't recall a hold causing him to slow up and shorten his arms. He appeared to do that all on his own we he caught side of that safety bearing down on him. Still like VD, but that's not the first time he's short-armed a pass. However, that IS the first time I've seen him actually slow up on a route to asvoid the hit. The pass looked like it would have been dead on had he continued to hold his speed. Just didn't see where a hold actually prevented that. Granted, us mere mortals would bnot only have slowed up, but also gotten into a full fetal tuck, but pro football players are not mortal and make gazillions not to be. They're expected to at least make an attempt at catches like that.

You have it exactly right. Time to just move on and hope he doesn't puss out again.
This is the main negative for VD, even vs. Crabtree. Crabtree gestures after plays where he misses the catch in a way that suggests that he actually cares. VD doesn't. If Crabtree is oblivious off the field, VD is oblivious on the field. All VD had to do on that play was extend his arms and interference would have been called. But he reacted not only with alligator arms but when the defender behind him got up his back, VD just gave up, like he was giving a kid a horseback ride. VD can still be a great tight end if he "extends" himself.
I watched the clip several times an it really looks as if VD never located the ball until much to late to make a play on it. In addition i feel he was staring directly into the sun based on the shadows on the ground and the direction the ball was coming from. I would love to hear from him on the play because it looks like the sun was part of the problem to me.
Originally posted by Tomdsurf:
I watched the clip several times an it really looks as if VD never located the ball until much to late to make a play on it. In addition i feel he was staring directly into the sun based on the shadows on the ground and the direction the ball was coming from. I would love to hear from him on the play because it looks like the sun was part of the problem to me.

Vernexcuses.
You see way more good plays from him than bad, this was not recurring thing, it was an occurance, I don't think he realized the ball was coming. He is Alex's best friend on the offense, they will be fine.
Share 49ersWebzone