LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't find a video of it but if you saw the game, you saw...clear as day. Alex shows great touch by dropping a ball beautifully in between coverage...VD sees the safety coming and tucks his arms in and lets it fall...

Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Dwight Clark...this is the class of tight end that Vernon belongs in but not if he won't take a hit to make the catch.

Alex threw a similarly great ball to Morgan in between two defenders down the sidelines and he went up, exposed his body, and made a perfect catch with his body...

Just sayin...
Yeah Smith had nice touch on that pass.
The ball should be thrown more to the outside. Smith needs to recognized and throw it earlier.
vernon has been alligator arming passes for years, this is nothing new
The difference between Davis and the other TE's you listed is that the other guys are natural pass catchers and it came easily to them, whereas Vernon can just run fast.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The ball should be thrown more to the outside. Smith needs to recognized and throw it earlier.

If Rivers or Ryan throws that ball in the same spot and their tight ends go up and get it, everyone talks about how great they are...

Every good QB has a receiver that makes those plays. Jackson, Floyd and Gates have helped make Rivers an elite QB for the last few years by making huge plays
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The difference between Davis and the other TE's you listed is that the other guys are natural pass catchers and it came easily to them, whereas Vernon can just run fast.

Fair enough...
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Fair enough...

If you add "run block" "pass block" and "run people over after the catch" then yeah, Vernon can "just run fast."

He's not a natural pass catcher, never has been, but saying Vernon is "just fast" entirely misses why Vernon is a top 5 TE.
not worried even one bit about VD.
Saw that. Didn't really see all the angles on where the ball was, so I'm not 100% sure if it was catch-able( I'll defer to others who could watch it on something other than a laptop on how catch-able it was). Still, I would have liked to see a little more effort to go up for the ball, but I've seen much worse.

I'm with Syber on this one, I'm not worried about Vernon.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Yea...was upset that Vernon didn't try more to make a play on the ball. Was a passing interference too had Vernon made any effort to catch the ball. He had a nice catch in second half, where Alex threw to his back shoulder.
I was disappointed that VD didn't even attempt to go after it. Maybe it was too far from him but it looked like it was worth going after to me. Not sure what his mindset was.

LB
The only angle I caught was head on so I had no depth perception if that ball was anywhere near catchable.
I'm pretty sure this wasn't a straight up case of alligator arms. He got a piggy-back ride from the DB on the play, and you could see one of his arms getting grabbed.
  • Veteran
I would have some respect for VD if were you!
Share 49ersWebzone