LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

20 quarters of football, and 0 passing touchdowns

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Sometimes I wish NT was around during the Walsh years.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
1-0. Bottom line.

Exactly.

Coach Mike Nolan after going 2-0: "I wouldn't think people would care about HOW we win games, just as long as we win the damn game."

Ok. Enjoy our early season fun.

Singletary was 2-0 and then 3-1 his first year and he believed the forward pass was a fad like the motorized car. He too believed winning "ugly" was a good way to run things.

Beating a UFL team like the Seahawks means little. You can't beat a real NFL team without being able to complete passes to the endzone.

The Seahawks are in the NFL.

They are?
I think the biggest difference between winning ugly under Nolan/Singletary and winning ugly under Harbaugh is that the former thought that you could win every game like that. "Winning Ugly" as a seasonal offensive strategy verses "winning ugly" as a single-game strategy.

I'd be confident in guessing that the team will be in the film room today looking at any missed opportunities from yesterday's game, both in the run game and in the passing game, using a mistake free game(no sacks, no turnovers) as a first step towards a better offense.

Looking forward to next week.
woah hold the phone

preseason counts?

damnit last year we shouldve made the playoffs we had the most wins
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Singletary was 2-0 and then 3-1 his first year and he believed the forward pass was a fad like the motorized car. He too believed winning "ugly" was a good way to run things.

Beating a UFL team like the Seahawks means little. You can't beat a real NFL team without being able to complete passes to the endzone.

The Seahawk CB is from the CFL . . . much better quality than the UFL.
Maybe. Maybe not. Against the Cowboys, Harbaugh will have to open up the passing game to beat the blitz and take advantage of all the injuries in their secondary. We will know soon enough.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Maybe. Maybe not. Against the Cowboys, Harbaugh will have to open up the passing game to beat the blitz and take advantage of all the injuries in their secondary. We will know soon enough.

Plus, hopefully they feel like they're playing with house money after winning a division game that we should have won. Going into a game most expect us to lose they should open it up and let it fly.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
woah hold the phone

preseason counts?

damnit last year we shouldve made the playoffs we had the most wins

this
In 1996, Steve Young didn't throw a TD until week 3, and that's when he had a surrounding cast of Jerry Rice, a young Terrell Owens, and Brent Jones.

I wouldn't worry about passing TDs. Winning is the most important. Scoring touchdowns in the red-zones is crucial to winning. If we were in the red-zone 50 times and never threw a pass, but ran the ball every time and scored a high percentage of the time... passing TDs don't matter.

But the facts of week 1 are these:
- We had several red-zone opportunities.
- We scored a TD only once... on an Alex Smith keeper.
- We won the game.

Given the circumstances, we should be happy with the W. But going forward, we need to improve on red-zone efficiency. Let's see what happens.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

The passing game is a major concern for me.
I know everyone is kinda piling on you right now, but after rewatching that play if Smith throws the ball over the top, Thomas lights him up like a Christmas tree or make a play on the ball. There was very little room to put the ball over the top. Now, I'm only talking about that one play, everything else I don't really care to get into, but that one play I think Alex made the right decision and threw it to his back shoulder. Plus if VD had a step on the defender like you say than a throw to his back shoulder would have been probably picked off.

The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

Alex looked their way but they were covered early! If he stares them down and the db's make a pick cause of a late throw you'd have a cow, saying same old Alex. Look man, in the WCO, a qb has many reads and has to go thru them all in order for the system to work. You don't just lock onto a guy and hope he comes open! You make a read and if its not there you move onto the 2nd and so on until you find an open target, whick is exactely what Alex did. He didn't take a sack and take us out of field goal range or throw into tight coverage, he made the correct reads given the progression. If you don't understand how the WCO operates then thats okay but bone up on the thing a little first before always blaming a guy for doing what the system requires.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
And here I thought we only played 4 quarters.

This x 1000!
Originally posted by rk1642:
Alex looked their way but they were covered early! If he stares them down and the db's make a pick cause of a late throw you'd have a cow, saying same old Alex. Look man, in the WCO, a qb has many reads and has to go thru them all in order for the system to work. You don't just lock onto a guy and hope he comes open! You make a read and if its not there you move onto the 2nd and so on until you find an open target, whick is exactely what Alex did. He didn't take a sack and take us out of field goal range or throw into tight coverage, he made the correct reads given the progression. If you don't understand how the WCO operates then thats okay but bone up on the thing a little first before always blaming a guy for doing what the system requires.

I'm pretty sure this is what he said:

"The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver"
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
if OP is going to include the preseason, then the Niners are leading the league in rushing after 20 qtrs.
Share 49ersWebzone