Not a member? Register Now!

20 quarters of football, and 0 passing touchdowns

Reason to be concerned?
No. Too early.
1-0. Bottom line.
5 games without a passing touchdown.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Nah..I will not make my judgement on the passing game until we actually see them TRY to actually open things in up in the pass game.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Nah..I will not make my judgement on the passing game until we actually see them TRY to actually open things in up in the pass game.

This
lol
The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

The passing game is a major concern for me.
Reason to be concerned?

Not a reason to be concerned about Alex Smith so much. But yes, a reason to be concerned. We dismissed these things with Nolan, who used to famously say, "It doesn't matter HOW we win, just as long as we win." I hope no one agrees with that. Because 1-0 doesn't mean a thing if you don't make the playoffs. Whether or not you make the playoffs depends upon how well you PLAY. How well you PLAY is what matters. Our offense can't be s**t. It must be better than it was today if we are to have a chance this season.
If we try and beat the Cowboys with Andy Lee, Ted Ginn and defense, we are in for a rude awakening.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
1-0. Bottom line.

Exactly.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

Where did you think he was intending to throw the ball? The ball was a tight spiral, he was obviously throwing to the back shoulder.
Our passing game was not that bad, we just didn't USE it all at today. We decided to run into a wall today, and because of Ted Ginn, "it worked".
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Reason to be concerned?

Not a reason to be concerned about Alex Smith so much. But yes, a reason to be concerned. We dismissed these things with Nolan, who used to famously say, "It doesn't matter HOW we win, just as long as we win." I hope no one agrees with that. Because 1-0 doesn't mean a thing if you don't make the playoffs. Whether or not you make the playoffs depends upon how well you PLAY. How well you PLAY is what matters. Our offense can't be s**t. It must be better than it was today if we are to have a chance this season.
If we try and beat the Cowboys with Andy Lee, Ted Ginn and defense, we are in for a rude awakening.

You can't get to the playoffs unless you win your first game. That is now done. Now we have to improve for the second win.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Reason to be concerned?

Do you really think Harbaugh believes he can beat Dallas without a functioning Offense?

Of course he doesn't. Harbaugh just didn't feel it was necessary to risk opening up he offense and have the players fail at something they just recently learned. So instead, he chose to keep it very simple ( i agree, questionable gameplan), rely on the D and ST. Those two came up big for us, the D with the turnovers and sacks and the special teams with those 2 Ginn returns and Akers perfect kicking. Add in a couple of plays made by Smith in the run game on his own, and a few nice pass plays, and you have yourself a win against a weak team. This was the gameplan. This was what Harbaugh thought would be enough to win us the game in these unfortunate circumstances due to the lockout, but it worked. Don't expect us to do the same s**t next week. I'm sure Harbs/Roman/Fangio don't think he Cowboys are the same team as the Seahawks.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
1-0. Bottom line.

Exactly.

Coach Mike Nolan after going 2-0: "I wouldn't think people would care about HOW we win games, just as long as we win the damn game."

Ok. Enjoy our early season fun.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

accidental backshoulder throw??? HE put the ball where it needed to be so the defender couldn't make a play on it. As for the open receivers in the endzone I'm assuming you're referring to Crabtree? You do realize that the ball was damn near out of Alex's hand before Crabtree was even open right? AS for being a playmaker, he made plays when they were needed. Look at the TD run, the multiple times he scrambled when the pocket collapsed, the pass to VD over 2 defenders, the pass to morgan splitting 2 defenders.......get it yet? He was asked to manage the game today and make plays when they were needed. He did what was asked of him.