There are 245 users in the forums

Cohn:Alex Smith comes through

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still think Alex Smith on Sunday, not looked like, but played similar to an early 80's Joe Montana. Does what needed to be done, made a few plays on his feet, and didn't eff up.

Just say no.
you have to excuse Joecool....that whole JTO situation was pretty tough, and some around here were still giving him sh1ts for a while after.....he is just trying to make friends.

you'll be back Joecool....you'll be back.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I still think Alex Smith on Sunday, not looked like, but played similar to an early 80's Joe Montana. Does what needed to be done, made a few plays on his feet, and didn't eff up.

Just say no.
you have to excuse Joecool....that whole JTO situation was pretty tough, and some around here were still giving him sh1ts for a while after.....he is just trying to make friends.

I'm taking it one game at a time. If he plays well, I'll say it. But if he f**ks up, I'll say that too. The numbers sucked, but man did he make some very impressive throws when we really needed them. I think that was interesting because he usually chokes those situations away. Happy to see he didn't scramble back and around. I'm sure he missed one or two deep open receivers but that happens to every QB in every game.

Just say no.

I'm taking it one game at a time. If he plays well, I'll say it. But if he f**ks up, I'll say that too. The numbers sucked, but man did he make some very impressive throws when we really needed them. I think that was interesting because he usually chokes those situations away. Happy to see he didn't scramble back and around. I'm sure he missed one or two deep open receivers but that happens to every QB in every game.

well the problem for me is, how he is getting all this praise....and IMO, he could've done MUCH better...and he has soo much weapons. But more importantly, he HAS done much better in the past, against better teams and tougher conditions. So to me its not much of an improvement. Going into this season, I expected much more.

he shouldn't have to be looked after, after this many years of being a pro. But again, I'm happy we won...if the old Alex Smith shows up these next couple of weeks, at least this win might still keep us in the hunt until someone else takes over.

Alex made some tough incredible passes to Vernon and Morgan...but imo, those were not just planned drop back and pass situations. We are going to be forced to show what Alex can do this week. So I think any 9er fan should be excited.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 190836:
I Googled Rubberneck36 and came up with this:

HAHAHA....I've seen Rubberneck in person and he looks just like that.

Just say no.

well the problem for me is, how he is getting all this praise....and IMO, he could've done MUCH better...and he has soo much weapons. But more importantly, he HAS done much better in the past, against better teams and tougher conditions. So to me its not much of an improvement. Going into this season, I expected much more.

he shouldn't have to be looked after, after this many years of being a pro. But again, I'm happy we won...if the old Alex Smith shows up these next couple of weeks, at least this win might still keep us in the hunt until someone else takes over.

Alex made some tough incredible passes to Vernon and Morgan...but imo, those were not just planned drop back and pass situations. We are going to be forced to show what Alex can do this week. So I think any 9er fan should be excited.

We had 8 designed pass plays in the entire first half.

He completed 5 and scrambled for 5 yards on one of them. I agree with you bro trust me but Alex, unfortunately, doesn't call the plays.
Originally posted by Amir:

hahha, I didnt even see he posted that!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Haha Lowel's hating
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Just say no.

We had 8 designed pass plays in the entire first half.

He completed 5 and scrambled for 5 yards on one of them. I agree with you bro trust me but Alex, unfortunately, doesn't call the plays.

Yeah, I'm more upset at Harbaugh's calls at certain times. There will be a point in time when we need to learn to step on and twist the neck for the jugular. Harbaugh limited the offense more than any one player did not in opening up the playbook but resorting to the run when a pass could have been called to put the game away.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Haha Lowel's hating

Googled LAMBDACHI49 and this is the first pic that popped up:

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Haha Lowel's hating

Googled LAMBDACHI49 and this is the first pic that popped up:

Don't feel bad, I googled Memphis9er and this is what came up...

Oh well...

Originally posted by ace130:
Played Beautifull? 124 yds passing 0tds threw what under 15 passes?

Aaron Rogders 300 yds passing 3 tds! Thats Beautifull!!! Aaron had Alex's 124 yds in the first quarter Is Alex still a rookie?

THe only stat we should all care about is WINS!!! as long as alex doesnt fumble or throw ints he is a bawse!!100 yards or 300yards doesnt matter to me only wins!
  • Veteran

Just kidding bro. I am sure you look like this:
The irony here is that a 15/20 120 yard performance from Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc. would be considered garbage. Coming from Alex, the majority of fans consider it a godsend aka Alex has arrived.

Give me a break people. Are you telling me that after 7 years, you still think Alex can outperform the opposition on a need-to basis ?! In other words, had he been facing the Dolphins on Monday night, and the Dolphins decided to have an off-day and put up monster offensive numbers (including 300 yards from Henne), you think Alex could match that intensity ?

He performed "admirably" against the one team lower than us on the totem pole. The defense kept us in it; if Seattle had even half a QB (like Hassleback), this would have been a repeat of last year's opener.

Same old Alex.......short passes on downs where big yardage is required, checkdowns to the closest receiver, etc.

I wonder how long before Braylon Edwards throws a temper tantrum and you folks start labeling him a bust receiver (aka Antonio Bryant) just to protect Alex.
Originally posted by mella31:
The irony here is that a 15/20 120 yard performance from Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc. would be considered garbage. Coming from Alex, the majority of fans consider it a godsend aka Alex has arrived.

Give me a break people. Are you telling me that after 7 years, you still think Alex can outperform the opposition on a need-to basis ?! In other words, had he been facing the Dolphins on Monday night, and the Dolphins decided to have an off-day and put up monster offensive numbers (including 300 yards from Henne), you think Alex could match that intensity ?

He performed "admirably" against the one team lower than us on the totem pole. The defense kept us in it; if Seattle had even half a QB (like Hassleback), this would have been a repeat of last year's opener.

Same old Alex.......short passes on downs where big yardage is required, checkdowns to the closest receiver, etc.

I wonder how long before Braylon Edwards throws a temper tantrum and you folks start labeling him a bust receiver (aka Antonio Bryant) just to protect Alex.
Who are you talking to, PBM?
Originally posted by mella31:
The irony here is that a 15/20 120 yard performance from Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc. would be considered garbage. Coming from Alex, the majority of fans consider it a godsend aka Alex has arrived (1)

He performed "admirably" against the one team lower than us on the totem pole. The defense kept us in it; if Seattle had even half a QB (like Hassleback), this would have been a repeat of last year's opener (2)

Same old Alex.......short passes on downs where big yardage is required, checkdowns to the closest receiver, etc (3)

1) Please find me ONE post where someone said this or implied this.

2) You must not watch games. Last year Alex had 3 TDs against the Seahawks (2nd game) when they had a better roster and "half a QB" like, oh wait, Hasselebeck who threw 3 picks.

3) For the millionth time, the short passes and "chekdownz" were PART....OF...TEH...GAYME..PLANZ...DOOD!.Get it?

Share 49ersWebzone