LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Cohn:Alex Smith comes through

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope Cohn is wrong about the Niners running a plain offense. I thought we hired Harbaugh to revive the WCO and make our offense a high powered one. The offense that I saw last Sunday was barely good enough to beat the Seahawks, who didn't look as good as last year. IF our offense is not more diverse for the Cowboys next Sunday, well it'll be a very long and sad day for us.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I dislike Cohn. To me, he jumps the gun and nitpicks unnecessarily... he goes on tirades against the fans (which I find to be very unprofessional)... and even challenges coaches.

But for the most part, I think he has a somewhat good bead on the team. He's a bit of a cynic, but I think he's pretty on the mark in his evaluation of the game yesterday.

I'm just surprised he didn't rip Harbaugh's offense apart for being conservative. It's a valid thing to be critical about, but he chose not to go that route.

Part of me agrees with you, I would have loved to see Smith passing more, but the other part of me doesn't. The entire point of the head coach is to map out a gameplan to make sure we win the game. It may not have been a flashy game, but it got the job done nicely. Everyone got mad when we went to kick the field goal, defense got a penalty and we ran it 3 more times. But look at what it did: It chewed up a good amount of time and we still got the points we were originally going to get. Stuff like that makes me really like Harbaugh. He gets the points AND chews up the clock. I'm sure we'll open up the playbook as time goes on, but he did nicely yesterday.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I googled 190836 and this came up

What did he do with Lowell? Where is he keeping him tied up at?
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Part of me agrees with you, I would have loved to see Smith passing more, but the other part of me doesn't. The entire point of the head coach is to map out a gameplan to make sure we win the game. It may not have been a flashy game, but it got the job done nicely. Everyone got mad when we went to kick the field goal, defense got a penalty and we ran it 3 more times. But look at what it did: It chewed up a good amount of time and we still got the points we were originally going to get. Stuff like that makes me really like Harbaugh. He gets the points AND chews up the clock. I'm sure we'll open up the playbook as time goes on, but he did nicely yesterday.

I appreciate the clock being burned like that. It's just that the momentum was starting to shift in Seattle's favor before Ted Ginn broke the game open. IF, and that's a big if, the Seahawks rallied and scored a TD late in the game, then Harbaugh would've been roasted for playing such a conservative gameplan.

When Steve Mariucci was our coach, we lost a couple games because of that conservative style. I remember in one game we were up in the third against the Bears, ran the ball ineffectively, and the Bears were able to force OT. Garcia threw an INT and the Bears won on, I believe, a field goal.

I think it's reasonable for people to think the conservatism was a bit worrisome. We could've put the Seahawks away with a TD. I'm not going to dwell on it though. I truly think the coaching staff is still installing the playbook and learning about the players. I feel we'll see the playbook get more opened up as the season goes on.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I appreciate the clock being burned like that. It's just that the momentum was starting to shift in Seattle's favor before Ted Ginn broke the game open. IF, and that's a big if, the Seahawks rallied and scored a TD late in the game, then Harbaugh would've been roasted for playing such a conservative gameplan.

When Steve Mariucci was our coach, we lost a couple games because of that conservative style. I remember in one game we were up in the third against the Bears, ran the ball ineffectively, and the Bears were able to force OT. Garcia threw an INT and the Bears won on, I believe, a field goal.

I think it's reasonable for people to think the conservatism was a bit worrisome. We could've put the Seahawks away with a TD. I'm not going to dwell on it though. I truly think the coaching staff is still installing the playbook and learning about the players. I feel we'll see the playbook get more opened up as the season goes on.

You are correct, it will get better as the year progresses.
I wasn't too impressed with Alex but he didn't have that many opportunities. We had yardage wise one of the worst offensive games that we have had in a while. I would like to see him have more chanced against the cowboys otherwise we will lose for sure.
  • Veteran
I Googled Rubberneck36 and came up with this:
Originally posted by 190836:

Tom Brady throws on one pass play for almost as much as Alex Smith had for the whole game! Brady has a 99 yard pass play and over 500 yard game. Go to Yahoo Sports and check out Alex Smith's "Game Logs" for his career. A total of (2) 300 yard games and more less than 200 yard games than over 200 yard games.

Alex "The Fetal Boy" Smith

I have to stop posting his crap. he is becoming a homer just like rest of the zoners.

you know you like that!
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
I have to stop posting his crap. he is becoming a homer just like rest of the zoners.

you know you like that!

I am just messing with the kids.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

You are right, that was insensitive. My apologies.
haha

All of a sudden Cohn is a credible, respectable, and objective writer. lol.

"And then Smith stepped up, played beautifully. He really did."

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
haha

All of a sudden Cohn is a credible, respectable, and objective writer. lol.

"And then Smith stepped up, played beautifully. He really did."

Played Beautifull? 124 yds passing 0tds threw what under 15 passes?

Aaron Rogders 300 yds passing 3 tds! Thats Beautifull!!! Aaron had Alex's 124 yds in the first quarter Is Alex still a rookie?
Share 49ersWebzone