There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

• Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Patience is for complacent federal govt employees, not the NFL. The Panthers didn't need to be patient with Cam, the Rams didn't need to be patient with Bradford, the Bengals didn't need to be patient with Andy Dalton, the Steelers didn't need to be patient with Big Ben, the Ravens didn't need to be patient with Flacco... should I keep going? Bottom line is, good QBs can play well with mediocre environments and bad QBs need EVERYTHING to be right just to be mediocre or at best slightly above average. Wake up and raise your expectations to what is happening in the rest of the NFL. We are in year SEVEN of a failed experiment, people.

You just do not get it, you fail time and time again to grasp the differences in the situations. Keep thinking in that narrow minded way, I am done trying to reason with you. Your whole line of reasoning is a seven year failure.

Panthers, Rams, and Bengals? What's the difference? And at the time, ATL didn't really have offensive talent and neither did BAL. BAL's best WR was Mason.

Coaching? McCarthy and Turner. Smith should have picked some things up. Oh wait, they restricted him to very little but those other QB's weren't restricted. Why was that?

It's incredible that we are arguing with people who are justifying failure. I always feel like I'm on candid camera when I have this sort of discussion. It's so surreal.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Patience is for complacent federal govt employees, not the NFL. The Panthers didn't need to be patient with Cam, the Rams didn't need to be patient with Bradford, the Bengals didn't need to be patient with Andy Dalton, the Steelers didn't need to be patient with Big Ben, the Ravens didn't need to be patient with Flacco... should I keep going? Bottom line is, good QBs can play well with mediocre environments and bad QBs need EVERYTHING to be right just to be mediocre or at best slightly above average. Wake up and raise your expectations to what is happening in the rest of the NFL. We are in year SEVEN of a failed experiment, people.

You just do not get it, you fail time and time again to grasp the differences in the situations. Keep thinking in that narrow minded way, I am done trying to reason with you. Your whole line of reasoning is a seven year failure.

Panthers, Rams, and Bengals? What's the difference? And at the time, ATL didn't really have offensive talent and neither did BAL. BAL's best WR was Mason.

Coaching? McCarthy and Turner. Smith should have picked some things up. Oh wait, they restricted him to very little but those other QB's weren't restricted. Why was that?

It's incredible that we are arguing with people who are justifying failure. I always feel like I'm on candid camera when I have this sort of discussion. It's so surreal.

You geared up to storm 49ers Headquarters yet?
I don't see why the thinking with Alex is "he needs more around him and you will see".

It should be, "Alex needs to prove everyone wrong perfect situation or not"

The italics is why alexcuses came about. By now, it's on Alex to prove us wrong, not on us to wait and see.
I don't see why the thinking with Alex is "he needs more around him and you will see".

The italics is why alexcuses came about. By now, it's on Alex to prove us wrong, not on us to wait and see.

Well... you could wait and see for him to prove you wrong.

To be fair Alex has played ok so far this season, but I like you have given up on him ever living up to his college talents.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

In two games, he has done well but at the same time he has taken part in what we are all perplexed about: why don't we attack the secondary more.

Teams are still not afraid of us to go deep. They are nearly slapping us in the face to do it.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

In two games, he has done well but at the same time he has taken part in what we are all perplexed about: why don't we attack the secondary more.

Teams are still not afraid of us to go deep. They are nearly slapping us in the face to do it.

Yeah, i agree. I don't know if we will ever see that, to be honest. Smith may have had a chance to become a very good QB, but that possibility passed a while back. He has shown improvement, but not enough. Gotta make them pay for blitzing.
I don't know if it's double standards but I can see how some can make that statement and still have doubts about Alex Smith this season.

Yes he's playing better but I don't see any difference than what I've seen from S. Hill or T. Smith (yes him too considering he had no training camp). The only difference is Alex is still on the team.

It was said “teams figured those guys out” “there was no film on them.” No one took in account we had J. Raye, the OL, etc. but we used those reasons when we started out 0-5 last year. Troy comes in helps to get us 3 wins and even thinking playoffs when “teams figured him out” Alex comes in and gets 3 wins and gets praised for doing no different than Troy.

I'm willing to give Alex one last time (for the 3rd time) for me to believe in him. I want to see this guy perform on the road. However keep in mind teams are starting to figure him out and the team for that matter. Teams are stopping our run and forcing Alex to beat us because they do not respect the passing game. He has to get first downs in the second half of games to keep opposing QB's (practically the Romo's of NFL) off the field. Yes I know the defense has to do their part as well as the OL and Frank Gore but again did we use those factors when other QBs not named Alex played well or not?
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

To be fair Alex has played ok so far this season, but I like you have given up on him ever living up to his college talents.

He has played better than fair..the question is can he do it for more than 20 plays a game or does he need to be fed situation perfect plays? If Harbaugh thinks that Alex can do this, he should set him free so that teams stop cheating up for the run game. If he can't do it, then he is at best a game manager and hopefully we'll find a gem in the draft or Kaep works out his rookie stuff...cuz we will need a better solution than that. Gore can't carry this offense anymore.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM ]
In two games, ROOKIE Andy Dalton, who went to one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league, ranks No. 8 in the NFL in passer rating (105.7)

What's his excuse, and why is he better than Alex Smith in year 7? We'll find out this Sunday. If Andy was our QB and stunk it up, we'd have every excuse in the book ready for him, but he went to a worse team and is lighting it up so far.

Watching all these QBs come out of college to the worst teams in the league (like Smith did) and just flat out play is getting irritating. No wonder I'm so pissed about this slow learning, inaccurate, hesitant, and non-instinctual player we have at QB for the last 7 years and counting.

Have you actually watched any of the Bengal's games? The have a pretty good offensive unit. The line is giving him time, Benson is running well and AJ Green is playing well for a rookie receiver.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

He has played better than fair..the question is can he do it for more than 20 plays a game or does he need to be fed situation perfect plays? If Harbaugh thinks that Alex can do this, he should set him free so that teams stop cheating up for the run game. If he can't do it, then he is at best a game manager and hopefully we'll find a gem in the draft or Kaep works out his rookie stuff...cuz we will need a better solution than that. Gore can't carry this offense anymore.

Exactly let him loose so we can see if this niners teams can hang with the new playstyle of the nfl.

Exactly let him loose so we can see if this niners teams can hang with the new playstyle of the nfl.

The oline isn't capable of handling the new playstyle, our qbs will not last a whole game if they tried.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I don't know if it's double standards but I can see how some can make that statement and still have doubts about Alex Smith this season.

Yes he's playing better but I don't see any difference than what I've seen from S. Hill or T. Smith (yes him too considering he had no training camp). The only difference is Alex is still on the team.

It was said “teams figured those guys out” “there was no film on them.” No one took in account we had J. Raye, the OL, etc. but we used those reasons when we started out 0-5 last year. Troy comes in helps to get us 3 wins and even thinking playoffs when “teams figured him out” Alex comes in and gets 3 wins and gets praised for doing no different than Troy.

I'm willing to give Alex one last time (for the 3rd time) for me to believe in him. I want to see this guy perform on the road. However keep in mind teams are starting to figure him out and the team for that matter. Teams are stopping our run and forcing Alex to beat us because they do not respect the passing game. He has to get first downs in the second half of games to keep opposing QB's (practically the Romo's of NFL) off the field. Yes I know the defense has to do their part as well as the OL and Frank Gore but again did we use those factors when other QBs not named Alex played well or not?

I think Cosell evaluated Smith accurately. He can execute well when the play design is good but don't expect him to make complicated decisions post snap.

Teams have figure Alex out since 2007 now: run blitz and force his hand. He has yet to consistently take advantage.
odds this reaches 100 pages
Originally posted by gamechanger:

The oline isn't capable of handling the new playstyle, our qbs will not last a whole game if they tried.

I'm okay with lots of Slants and Hot routes. Once the defense gets burned a few times (even by short little passes that racks up yac) they'll stop blitzing as much. Let's face it...the oline isn't doing much for the run game either and it LOOKS like our passing game is the best part of our offense right now.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM ]