LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

The OFFICIAL Scott Tolzien Time Traveling Delorean of TRIUMPH!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners420:
I can't believe how many guys freaked out and proclaimed him the slam dunk #2 after the Vikings game.

if we did not freak out we would have to live a normal life here in the zone and that is unacceptable
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it seems there is a far out faction on one side saying scott sucks,, it seems there is a far out side on the other side who says he is the best quarterback on the roster. can someone who is objective and just wants what is best for the team tell me if they think he or josh johnson will make the third spot , thus meaning the other would get cut. If there is a thread for this I am sorry but i am just trying to get to the bottom line now that Ck has been given the second string job by JH
Originally posted by cciowa:
it seems there is a far out faction on one side saying scott sucks,, it seems there is a far out side on the other side who says he is the best quarterback on the roster. can someone who is objective and just wants what is best for the team tell me if they think he or josh johnson will make the third spot , thus meaning the other would get cut. If there is a thread for this I am sorry but i am just trying to get to the bottom line now that Ck has been given the second string job by JH

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/166854-scott-tolzien-josh-johnson-position/

It slipped down a couple pages, because there is more to fight about here. For the record, I voted Tolzien.
Tolzien needs to be playing for that backup role and not the 3rd string role. With him and Kap being young QB's trying to prove themselves, there is no reason to keep both. When the 53 is set, JJ will be the 3rd QB and ST will be cut. Him being on the team does no good for them since Kap has proven to be the QB of the future to this point. With time, JJ can get refreshed with this system and give you more as a 3rd than ST. This doesn't mean I think JJ is all that special, but IMO makes the most sense for balancing out this position with youth and experience. Teams always fall on the side of experience instead of youth especially when you have your young future QB already established like Kap is so far. If ST isn't the back up, he will be cut.
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Tolzien needs to be playing for that backup role and not the 3rd string role. With him and Kap being young QB's trying to prove themselves, there is no reason to keep both. When the 53 is set, JJ will be the 3rd QB and ST will be cut. Him being on the team does no good for them since Kap has proven to be the QB of the future to this point. With time, JJ can get refreshed with this system and give you more as a 3rd than ST. This doesn't mean I think JJ is all that special, but IMO makes the most sense for balancing out this position with youth and experience. Teams always fall on the side of experience instead of youth especially when you have your young future QB already established like Kap is so far. If ST isn't the back up, he will be cut.

Um what? Are you saying we should cut Tolzien because he's too good?
Originally posted by natrone06:

One more time, if he cant beat Kap then there is no reason to keep him here when you have a better more experienced option in JJ, who only because of only being in this offense a few months, is behind but with time is your best option at 3 over ST.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
One more time, if he cant beat Kap then there is no reason to keep him here when you have a better more experienced option in JJ, who only because of only being in this offense a few months, is behind but with time is your best option at 3 over ST.
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me. now if this happens we will have a meltdown here on the zone which will make the alex smith vs peyton manning fiasco look like a restrained tea time luncheon
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me. now if this happens we will have a meltdown here on the zone which will make the alex smith vs peyton manning fiasco look like a restrained tea time luncheon

Tolzien is playing for third but is still a project. He doesnt look like a project but imagine if he is properly developed. JJ is no different than Kaep and I don't see any reason to have him unless jH only wants an athletic emergency guy to at least be able to run around if it comes to that.

I'm really sorry I missed the early parts of this thread. You guys are nuts.

Originally posted by natrone06:

They both have not played a full single regular season game to be judged fairly. We know we cannot predict a players projection solely on practice, so it's really pointless to speak with such certainty. For the record, I really like all our QB's.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I'm really sorry I missed the early parts of this thread. You guys are nuts.

Without a doubt, it was the Golden Age of the Zone. Unfortunately, like a monarch emerging from chrysalis or the flash of heat lightning capturing the night sky, that degree of pristine majesty was never meant to last indefinitely in a flawed world.
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
They both have not played a full single regular season game to be judged fairly. We know we cannot predict a players projection solely on practice, so it's really pointless to speak with such certainty. For the record, I really like all our QB's.

I think it is fair to say from his college career that Tolzien benefits from game-planning more than most, due to his cerebral approach and exhaustive preparation for the game. It would be interesting to see if there was a noticable difference b'w his preseason performance and his performance in a regular season game, given that the coaches would focus more on strategy than talent evaluation.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:

Scott Tolzein sux! He's the only qb on the roster who has yet to lead the team to ANY points. Kaepernick got the number two spot and JJ should get the third. JJ at least takes shots down the field and doesn't always go to the easy dump off like Tolzein. Tolzein doesn't even throw it down field, he just throws 10-15 yards. The only reason Tolzein had those yards is because his receivers broke tackles and made others miss. JJ threw at least 20 yard passes in both games. You can say he over threw in the last game but they weren't overthrown by that much considering that those passes were at least 40 yards down field. The wackness which is Tolzein overthrew receivers 10-15 yards downfield. And before you say he didn't get that much of a chance in the second preseason game, well neither did JJ and he still had the longest pass of that night.

Dude, I understand how you feel right now, but your rage is misdirected.

Scott Tolzien has no control over what a bunch of posters on the zone say or think about him. He didn't ask to be the next Nate Davis. He's just playing his ass off for a spot on this team and he's doing a damn fine job.

I understand that the group-think on here can be frustrating and it makes you want to lash out, but make sure you realize why you feel frustrated. It's not Scott Tolzien who caused it. And he doesnt suck either. For a UDFA in his second year, he's actually doing great. Now, I dont think hes the God others on here make him out to be, but I bet he's a good guy and he may be a 9er for a long time so get used to him.

And if you're on the zone for awhile, get used to feeling frustrated. I'd suggest a stress ball lol
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:

Scott Tolzein sux! He's the only qb on the roster who has yet to lead the team to ANY points. Kaepernick got the number two spot and JJ should get the third. JJ at least takes shots down the field and doesn't always go to the easy dump off like Tolzein. Tolzein doesn't even throw it down field, he just throws 10-15 yards. The only reason Tolzein had those yards is because his receivers broke tackles and made others miss. JJ threw at least 20 yard passes in both games. You can say he over threw in the last game but they weren't overthrown by that much considering that those passes were at least 40 yards down field. The wackness which is Tolzein overthrew receivers 10-15 yards downfield. And before you say he didn't get that much of a chance in the second preseason game, well neither did JJ and he still had the longest pass of that night.
Dude, I understand how you feel right now, but your rage is misdirected.

Scott Tolzien has no control over what a bunch of posters on the zone say or think about him. He didn't ask to be the next Nate Davis. He's just playing his ass off for a spot on this team and he's doing a damn fine job.

I understand that the group-think on here can be frustrating and it makes you want to lash out, but make sure you realize why you feel frustrated. It's not Scott Tolzien who caused it. And he doesnt suck either. For a UDFA in his second year, he's actually doing great. Now, I dont think hes the God others on here make him out to be, but I bet he's a good guy and he may be a 9er for a long time so get used to him.

And if you're on the zone for awhile, get used to feeling frustrated. I'd suggest a stress ball lol

Taking on a condescending tone and superior language seems to be therapudic, too
Share 49ersWebzone