LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Based on ESPN's new total quarterback rating system, Alex Smith is 30th in the league in 2010. Seems 28th place in this analysis is pretty generous. Looks like they gave him the benefit of the doubt when they bumped him up to 28th in the rankings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4699283/introducing-espns-new-qb-rating-system
Originally posted by Shaj:
Based on ESPN's new total quarterback rating system, Alex Smith is 30th in the league in 2010. Seems 28th place in this analysis is pretty generous. Looks like they gave him the benefit of the doubt when they bumped him up to 28th in the rankings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4699283/introducing-espns-new-qb-rating-system

Hey he was better than Favre last year thats something special

They bumped him up to #28 because of his excellent redzone %

Just stir away Shaj, stir away...
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

Stats and ratings are misleading at times.

People only say that when it doesn't fit their argument. The same people saying Alex's stats for the last few years don't mean anything are the same people using Hasslebeck's stats in his win in Seattle against the Saints last year to say he's still CLEARLY a better QB. I am not saying I'm right in my opinion that he's not, but I'm saying it's EXTREMELY arguable that Smith is better than Hasselbeck at this point in their careers.

Furthermore, I see several people say "Look at his numbers from his early years - the stats don't lie." And then they come in here and see his numbers being better than other players like Henne and Hasselbeck and say, "The stats lie."

Hasselbeck deserves great credit for his playoff game, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a horrible year overall. Again, in the end, this little ranking is nothing to fight over really. But it's mighty frustrating seeing such rampant and obvious hypocrisy. So you tell me, which is it? Do the stats lie or are the indicative of the level of play? It's one thing if it was just one year, but Hasselbeck has sucked for three consecutive seasons. Alex has outplayed him statistically in back to back seasons, including a dominating 40-21 performance against Seattle at home where Hasselbeck played miserable and Smith threw for 250+ with 3 TDs, and both teams were still in contention for the NFC West at that point.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Yes, but most teams would still take Favre over Smith. That is what the question comes down to. Line up 30 QB's and I'm sure Smith will be picked near the end.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, but most teams would still take Favre over Smith. That is what the question comes down to. Line up 30 QB's and I'm sure Smith will be picked near the end.

Unless the picker is from the Zone
Originally posted by SJniner7:

or the 49ers Organization gets to choose before 30 other teams....
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

or the 49ers get to choose before 30 other teams....

I find it really hard to believe that if Kolb, Bradford, and Alex Smith lined up, that 49ers fans would NOT pick Smith last.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
May have been true a few years ago, it is debatable now.

Lol its not debatable because Alex Smith remains the worst entrenched starter in the NFL. Hasselbeck won a playoff game last season.

Thanks for your opinion, but Smith played better than Hasselback last year and the stats show it. Maybe the shehawks had a better year than we did, but it wasn't because their QB had a better year.

Memphis, not every team has a good Oline....on top of that, not every team is going to face a bad Dline or defense.

look I don't blame Alex for those sacks where there is miscommunication and someone just burst in before Alex drops back 3 steps.....but when the line does block just enough, he (or Colin) is going to have to some how make a play......even Harbuagh has stated this.
Hey bro, you get no argument from me about that, my concern is that the line doesn't have us playing with a QB not yet on the roster due to bad play. Every team doesn't have a great o line, but ours has been bad for 8 years now.

Lol its not debatable because Alex Smith remains the worst entrenched starter in the NFL. Hasselbeck won a playoff game last season.

Thanks for your opinion, but Smith played better than Hasselback last year and the stats show it. Maybe the shehawks had a better year than we did, but it wasn't because their QB had a better year.

Whoa! Stats do not show he played better. Smith had a couple of good games but his throws were still off and he was absent for periods of time. He would have one good series that padded his stats and then a super safe no INT game with only a few completions. Smith's stats do not show how inconsistent of a QB he is.
2007 Seattle Seahawks 16 562 352 62.6 3,966yds 28tds 12ints 91.4

those are from 4 years ago...he got injured the very next year...but those are damn fine #s

also here are his stats in the playoffs last year.
2010 Seattle Seahawks 2 81 48 59.4 530yds 7tds 1int

Has Alex EVER put up numbers close to these....I mean he has never QB this team to a winning record, let alone help them win a playoff game.

also..
In 2007, Hasselbeck led his team to its fourth consecutive division title [15][16] and fifth consecutive playoff appearance. He had 3,966 passing yards, 28 touchdowns (both career highs), 62.6% completion percentage, and a 91.4 quarterback rating.[9][10] He threw for 229 yards in a 35-14 NFC wild card victory over the Washington Redskins. The third-seeded Seahawks lost in the divisional round to the NFC's #2 seed Green Bay, losing 42–20 in the snow at Lambeau Field [17] despite an early 14–0 lead.

as i said above, his last good year was 2007. In case you missed it, look at the years surrounding 2007. 2005 he was brilliant. 2006, not so much. 2008, 2009, 2010 is evidence of a qb clearly in decline.

he had a good game in the playoffs last year too, of course, so, um, good for him. Not sure what your point is.

Whoa! Stats do not show he played better. Smith had a couple of good games but his throws were still off and he was absent for periods of time. He would have one good series that padded his stats and then a super safe no INT game with only a few completions. Smith's stats do not show how inconsistent of a QB he is.

According to NFL.com listing of 2010 QB statistics Smith was rated 21st and Hassleback was 28th, what part of that do you not understand?

Inconsistency with some good is better than consistently bad, man. So now his good moments just "padded his stats" -- geez, come on. You can say that about anyone, including the players that are in question that are ranked above him. At least give the guy some credit. Why not just keep it simple and say, he played well sometimes but was inconsistent. Because just the way that comes off, it sounds more like you're trying to say, "even when he played well, he sucked."
Share 49ersWebzone