LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm not saying Alex Smith is the better option. I'm saying Hasselbeck isn't a good option EITHER.

Though they both suck, Hasselbeck is a better player than Alex Smith regardless of what the numbers say. That is my point.

This is what I don't get. A QB has a bad year and he's automatically worse than Alex Smith. I don't recall when Alex has ever done anything other than to be viewed as a backup or worse QB in the NFL.

i'm talking solely about Hasselbeck, not comparing him to anybody but:

he hasn't had one bad year. His last good season was 2007. In fact, in 2006 he wasn't very good either. He's been injured--a lot--in the last five years, and tossed up a ton of picks. At his best he was a decent second-tier QB, but his best was quite awhile ago.
He's been bad or been in bad situations? He has proven he can carry a team on his back. Health and crap talent around him are the primary reasons he hasn't played well. We'll see how he does this season.
Though they both suck, Hasselbeck is a better player than Alex Smith regardless of what the numbers say. That is my point.

May have been true a few years ago, it is debatable now.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm not saying Alex Smith is the better option. I'm saying Hasselbeck isn't a good option EITHER.

This is what I don't get. A QB has a bad year and he's automatically worse than Alex Smith. I don't recall when Alex has ever done anything other than to be viewed as a backup or worse QB in the NFL.

i'm talking solely about Hasselbeck, not comparing him to anybody but:

he hasn't had one bad year. His last good season was 2007. In fact, in 2006 he wasn't very good either. He's been injured--a lot--in the last five years, and tossed up a ton of picks. At his best he was a decent second-tier QB, but his best was quite awhile ago.
He's been bad or been in bad situations? He has proven he can carry a team on his back. Health and crap talent around him are the primary reasons he hasn't played well. We'll see how he does this season.

Hasselbexcuses
  • dj43
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

I watched him play four games last year and I saw none of the skills you cite. In fact, in two of those games he was replaced due to ineffectiveness. Miami would love to have an upgrade.

I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

I watched him play four games last year and I saw none of the skills you cite. In fact, in two of those games he was replaced due to ineffectiveness. Miami would love to have an upgrade.

Gee whiz. I understand the disdain towards Alex, but making stuff up is unnecessary. Henne is terrible. Hasselbeck at this stage in his career is terrible. Alex is not good either. I am appalled that people are getting so angry about this topic. Some have suggested Hasselbeck and Henne should be a bit lower due to their recent ineffectiveness, only to be met with shrieks of horror and hostility.

Originally posted by 4T9errr:
The Miami fans that I know sure don't think that Henne is better.

They say they would love to have Alex in Miami and would welcome him with open arms...I don't blame them, Henne is horrible.

This is an enormous support to the notion that Henne should be lower. But nevermind that. There's no reason to fight over a few spots difference in a meaningless ESPN article by Clayton.

I dont have to make things up like a Smith supporter. I just go by what I see and Henne has a good short game and a nice deep ball. In Miami for every guy who dislikes Henne there 2 that like him and wish Sparano didnt play such a vanilla system. Should be a interesting this year for hot seat QBs imo.

Who are you accusing of "making things up?"

Gee whiz. I understand the disdain towards Alex, but making stuff up is unnecessary. Henne is terrible. Hasselbeck at this stage in his career is terrible. Alex is not good either. I am appalled that people are getting so angry about this topic. Some have suggested Hasselbeck and Henne should be a bit lower due to their recent ineffectiveness, only to be met with shrieks of horror and hostility.

They say they would love to have Alex in Miami and would welcome him with open arms...I don't blame them, Henne is horrible.

This is an enormous support to the notion that Henne should be lower. But nevermind that. There's no reason to fight over a few spots difference in a meaningless ESPN article by Clayton.

I dont have to make things up like a Smith supporter. I just go by what I see and Henne has a good short game and a nice deep ball. In Miami for every guy who dislikes Henne there 2 that like him and wish Sparano didnt play such a vanilla system. Should be a interesting this year for hot seat QBs imo.

The infamous strawman is dragged out yet again.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Seems about right to me I would bump him up 3 more spots. Kolb, Henne, and Fitzpatrick should be behind Smith.

problem is, if Kolb, Henne, or Fitzpatrick had our offensive personal...there is a higher chance they would look better than Alex has with us.

basically the 9ers have better weapons than the Cards, Dolphins, and Bills. If Alex went to those teams, I think he would look EVEN more worse than he does with us.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
May have been true a few years ago, it is debatable now.

Lol its not debatable because Alex Smith remains the worst entrenched starter in the NFL. Hasselbeck won a playoff game last season.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
problem is, if Kolb, Henne, or Fitzpatrick had our offensive personal...there is a higher chance they would look better than Alex has with us.

basically the 9ers have better weapons than the Cards, Dolphins, and Bills. If Alex went to those teams, I think he would look EVEN more worse than he does with us.

If they had to play behind our line...yikes!
Originally posted by Afrikan:

If they had to play behind our line...yikes!
Memphis, not every team has a good Oline....on top of that, not every team is going to face a bad Dline or defense.

look I don't blame Alex for those sacks where there is miscommunication and someone just burst in before Alex drops back 3 steps.....but when the line does block just enough, he (or Colin) is going to have to some how make a play......even Harbuagh has stated this.

If I named anyone it would/could be a personal attack and id get another 25%. So just go back thru the Smith threads and ya can see for yourself.

Stats and ratings are misleading at times.
  • dj43

Don't make personal attacks if you are not prepared to cite specific details.

Your latest post makes it pretty clear you have nothing. You will now go on my personal "ignore" list. You aren't worth my time. I'm out...
Originally posted by WildBill:

does anyone really think Hasselbeck has been good the last 5 or six years? since they went to the Super Bowl he has not been good. He is being thought of based on his reputation, not his recent results. Recent results have been poor. He's an intelligent, talented quarterback capable of making big plays, but he can't stay healthy and his production has been inconsistent at best.
Originally posted by WildBill:

does anyone really think Hasselbeck has been good the last 5 or six years? since they went to the Super Bowl he has not been good. He is being thought of based on his reputation, not his recent results. Recent results have been poor. He's an intelligent, talented quarterback capable of making big plays, but he can't stay healthy and his production has been inconsistent at best.
2007 Seattle Seahawks 16 562 352 62.6 3,966yds 28tds 12ints 91.4

those are from 4 years ago...he got injured the very next year...but those are damn fine #s

also here are his stats in the playoffs last year.
2010 Seattle Seahawks 2 81 48 59.4 530yds 7tds 1int

Has Alex EVER put up numbers close to these....I mean he has never QB this team to a winning record, let alone help them win a playoff game.

also..
In 2007, Hasselbeck led his team to its fourth consecutive division title [15][16] and fifth consecutive playoff appearance. He had 3,966 passing yards, 28 touchdowns (both career highs), 62.6% completion percentage, and a 91.4 quarterback rating.[9][10] He threw for 229 yards in a 35-14 NFC wild card victory over the Washington Redskins. The third-seeded Seahawks lost in the divisional round to the NFC's #2 seed Green Bay, losing 42–20 in the snow at Lambeau Field [17] despite an early 14–0 lead.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:01 PM ]

Don't make personal attacks if you are not prepared to cite specific details.

Your latest post makes it pretty clear you have nothing. You will now go on my personal "ignore" list. You aren't worth my time. I'm out...

Dude I could care less about you and your ignore list Its obvious youre feeling guilt about something. About what I dont give a f**k but from your hissy fit you sure do. Good day to you sir
Share 49ersWebzone