LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 123 users in the forums

Box score: alex 9/15 and it sounded like a repeat of last yr. Then I saw the game on NFL..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Alex made some good throws, and he did look good overall, but he also had his trademark boneheaded INT, and he had zero TDs. To quote Bill Walsh (re: Steve Deberg, and highly applicable to our own Alex Smith), "he's just good enough to get you beat". Rookie Andy Dalton played better than Alex in his last pre-season game. And of course we have a sizeable list of NFL rookie QBs since 2005 who played better in their first year than Alex has anytime in 7 years.

Every year we read in the pre-season how good Alex's accuracy has been, what a leader he has been in the locker room and also on the field, how he's staying after/before hours, how studious he is, how he's been throwing some beautiful bee line bombs, and how this is going to be his breakout year.

Yes, many people seem to enjoy regurgitating the same old crap, including you guys.

Nothing matters until the games are real, game plans are real, and the PLAY CALLING is real. Somehow, I don't see us strictly running up the gut when the regular season starts. Besides that, many fans' expectations for this season seem pretty lofty. Everybody is tired of losing, but the improvement we all want to see will take time.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:48 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Alex made some good throws, and he did look good overall, but he also had his trademark boneheaded INT, and he had zero TDs. To quote Bill Walsh (re: Steve Deberg, and highly applicable to our own Alex Smith), "he's just good enough to get you beat". Rookie Andy Dalton played better than Alex in his last pre-season game. And of course we have a sizeable list of NFL rookie QBs since 2005 who played better in their first year than Alex has anytime in 7 years.

Every year we read in the pre-season how good Alex's accuracy has been, what a leader he has been in the locker room and also on the field, how he's staying after/before hours, how studious he is, how he's been throwing some beautiful bee line bombs, and how this is going to be his breakout year.

Yes, many people seem to enjoy regurgitating the same old crap, including you guys.

Nothing matters until the games are real, game plans are real, and the PLAY CALLING is real. Somehow, I don't see us strictly running up the gut when the regular season starts. Besides that, many fans' expectations for this season seem pretty lofty. Everybody is tired of losing, but the improvement we all want to see will take time.

yeah, we need to give Alex a few more years to assess him properly.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

yeah, we need to give Alex a few more years to assess him properly.

No, we need to give Harbaugh enough time to get Kap up to speed. Nice try though, Shaj.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
dtg, this was not an alex thread as you figured out, this was a commentary on a really fine team who for the first time in 8 yrs doesn't have a dumb dumb as a HC. Also as noted before, and I have said this back in post mooch days, HC HAS to be an OC, or you lose the good ones, and keep the bad ones. That be us. Harbaugh and I think baalke are for real, and last saturday was what i have been waiting for the last 8 yrs. As for alex, well 8 yrs later he finally got his QB/OC/HC...and the kid deserves it. I said all along, i couldn't evaluate him if he had no OL nor any semblance of a game plan. Mainly however, we are reverting back to the days or yore, when the HC could coach every position on the field, DB to OL to QB, and knew all the moves, all the philosophy. Walsh knew and did all that. At stanford, JH gave a pretty good showing of himself. Saturday i saw harbaugh all over that field, on D, O, and scheme calling, both O and D. Additionally he just so happens to be aQB coach...and seemed to do pretty well with a kid at stanford.

Lamdachi, great piece, and it was vintage lowell. When montana won the SB, lowell wasn't convinced. 2nd SB was probably luck. third was inferior team, 4th, well, lowell had a few good things to say, but for the record, one really wonders if that guy ever made it to a game, or he just mailed it in after reading box score. The lowell you just wrote about has been this way since I have followed the niners, starting with joe's 1st yr. You did hang him out to dry however, or in the parlance, Pawned him. Nice job.

Good points! One of the most important and probably most overlooked developments is that of needing an offensive coordinator coach, because if it is a defensive coordinator, the team will lose its offensive coordinator and need to rebuild its entire offensive philosophy. Even teams with a bad records like the 49ers had the last few years lost Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner. Norv Turner has built one of the best teams in the AFC and Mike McCarthy is a Super Bowl Champion now. Since the offensive side of the ball seems more difficult to maintain, it is in the best interest of a team to have a head coach that can double as the offensive coordinator. Although defense is important, replacement coordinators do no seem to have as great an impact as the offense which generally has a much more difficult time to gel. And yes, Alex Smith finally has that and this is the first time the 49ers have had that since Mariucci. This time, if Greg Roman is swept away by another team, the 49ers will continue to retain the main offensive mind on the coaching staff. They will not have to restart from point A again.
Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:
Hahahahaaha

Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:
Originally posted by Paul:

Hahahahaaha

The DE has a 5 yard head start on Kwame.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Do you not get that we could have scored tds if we had called passing plays instead of running plays in the redzone? Our coach decided to hold onto those calls for the regular season, when the games count. The fact that we have a real head coach is the reason to think this will be the best niner team in years, not an unreasonable assessment. I do not know where the three elite backs are, as I see it, we have Frank, who is elite, then a couple of young unproven guys.

That is a ridiculous statment. What do you mean "could have scored" - are you saying would have been automatic? Smith has always stalled in the red zone.
Originally posted by MBniner:
Do you not get that we could have scored tds if we had called passing plays instead of running plays in the redzone? Our coach decided to hold onto those calls for the regular season, when the games count. The fact that we have a real head coach is the reason to think this will be the best niner team in years, not an unreasonable assessment. I do not know where the three elite backs are, as I see it, we have Frank, who is elite, then a couple of young unproven guys.

That is a ridiculous statment. What do you mean "could have scored" - are you saying would have been automatic? Smith has always stalled in the red zone.
could have does not mean automatic
Alex Smiths stats in the Redzone last year
71.4cmp 9Tds 0ints 118.7 QB rating

Your post is ridiculous
shaj, i didn't say any of those things, rather just focused on how JH has instantly made this team better. As for alex, if he plays well, he gets another shot. Also if he plays well it is due to JH, nobody else. IF alex plays poorly, the Kap gets an early start. Just hope he is right guy, but looking at JHs success, i would say Kap's chances ae good if alex lets out a stinker. Really what i am looking for is that famous 9er OL play, the RBs , the D holding on 3rd and short or long,etc. Alex is just a piece of that and this time we will know for sure if he is or isn't a qb or not. ie, there are no more excuses after this coach, after this yr. And that is not an endorsement, it is just a fact that virtually everyone will agree with. Yeah, i'm pulling for him, but i am also pulling for everyone else, JH in particular.
MBniner here's one for you:Redzone QB ratings: Alex Smith: 124.4, Peyton manning 105.9, Drew Brees: 92.3,
Originally posted by ninerfansinceday1:
MBniner here's one for you:Redzone QB ratings: Alex Smith: 124.4, Peyton manning 105.9, Drew Brees: 92.3,

Alex Smith, in his career has thrown 30 TDs and 1 INT in the redzone

Originally posted by valrod33:
Alex Smith, in his career has thrown 30 TDs and 1 INT in the redzone

I heard he once walked on water also.
Originally posted by MBniner:

No, you just made a ridiculous statement. Should have done a little research and you wouldn't have made yourself look bad.
Alex demonstrated growth and regression, the same issue we've been dealing with since he came here: Inconsistency. However, that inconsistency faded in the light of his growth. There were so many more positive plays from Alex than the Int. That pass to Morgan and Edwards were beauties, passes I haven't seen in some time. I also focused on his execution of the huddle and LOS, did very well compared to the previous week.

In Harbaugh's terms, the arrow definitely is pointing up for Alex. I have't seen "lead" passes like the one to Morgan, I don't think ever. Brought back some serious memories of our HOF QBs throwing to Rice, Taylor, Owens, Jones, Stokes, etc....the receivers of the WCO.

As far as the D is concerned, better attacking and blitzing schemes. That X stunt ILB blitz with Willis and Bowman just missed on the completion to Bey for the first down. In fact, I say that if Aldon was in place of Parys at the time, I bet Aldon's long arms would have intercepted the pass. That's why I'm excited about Aldon's future in the D where he will be so versatile. The secondary is playing better especially with the rookie Culilver who seems to be doing well given his lack of experience at CB. Sure he got beat by Bey, he's a rookie...deal with it. As far as our safeties, it's nice to see Whitner in Red N Gold the same with having Goldson back. Those two will be formidable and will work well in safety blitzes too.

All in all a better game.

The true test comes Saturday...

We do? We heard it last year but not before that. All of the other years we heard "he's a rookie" "he's showing a bit of progress" "he's hurt and cant participate" "he got beat out in the competition" etc etc.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Whomeam:

We do? We heard it last year but not before that. All of the other years we heard "he's a rookie" "he's showing a bit of progress" "he's hurt and cant participate" "he got beat out in the competition" etc etc.

the kool aid drinkers here have been extolling Smith's performance every offseason for 7 years. I think you're referring to the more rational statements from the media.
Share 49ersWebzone