LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Can you see a difference? Harbaugh...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
It is refreshing, after years of junk coaching, to have a thread in which we are seeing the positive effects of good coaching.

When Shaun Hill arrived here we had a good opportunity to compare what good coaching could do for a very average player. Hill came from Minne where he had the benefit of a QB coach who had played the position, a WCO-based system that worked, the chance to see a quality QB execute it, etc. So when he came to SF and stepped in to play better than anyone expected, it should have given us all a good vision of what good coaching could do. Too bad we had to wait another three years to get it.

Dude, other than the play to Morgan, another play impressed the s**t out of me. Alex actually looked off the DB. Not the Safety, but the damn DB. When have we seen Alex move DB's?

It was about a 10 yard out to Konrad Reuland. He was NOT supposed to be open. What impressed me was that Alex froze or forced the DB who was dropping back to Konrad's zone to freeze and step forward. What did Alex do. He quickly stared at the checkdown out route by the RB FIRST!!! Can you believe that? He actually moved the defense by giving a quick glance at the RB. As soon as that DB froze, Alex quickly went to the out route that would have been covered if he didn't glance at the RB. THAT, is definitely coaching right there and I'm sure Roman or Harbaugh told him to do that to open up the deeper route.

And yes, it went for a 1st down.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
It is refreshing, after years of junk coaching, to have a thread in which we are seeing the positive effects of good coaching.

When Shaun Hill arrived here we had a good opportunity to compare what good coaching could do for a very average player. Hill came from Minne where he had the benefit of a QB coach who had played the position, a WCO-based system that worked, the chance to see a quality QB execute it, etc. So when he came to SF and stepped in to play better than anyone expected, it should have given us all a good vision of what good coaching could do. Too bad we had to wait another three years to get it.

Dude, other than the play to Morgan, another play impressed the s**t out of me. Alex actually looked off the DB. Not the Safety, but the damn DB. When have we seen Alex move DB's?

It was about a 10 yard out to Konrad Reuland. He was NOT supposed to be open. What impressed me was that Alex froze or forced the DB who was dropping back to Konrad's zone to freeze and step forward. What did Alex do. He quickly stared at the checkdown out route by the RB FIRST!!! Can you believe that? He actually moved the defense by giving a quick glance at the RB. As soon as that DB froze, Alex quickly went to the out route that would have been covered if he didn't glance at the RB. THAT, is definitely coaching right there and I'm sure Roman or Harbaugh told him to do that to open up the deeper route.

Imagine if he had this coaching since 05.

Oh well..better now than never. Go 9ers.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

The look-off move was obviously scripted because he blindly went to Konrad immediately after turning his shoulder to the RB. It was a blind throw but that will increase his confidence and trust in Harbaugh's system. Let us hope he begins to do things like that on his own, without script or being told to.
The pass to Morgan that went for 30+ yards was enough for me. It proves that after years of getting the crap kicked out of him he is still not shell shocked. I would pee myself if I saw Tommy Kelly coming for blood. He got off a perfect pass and then got crushed.
This week's game against Houston should give us a better read of the team. They are a legit playoff contender, so I'm excited to see how the Niners line up against them.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
This week's game against Houston should give us a better read of the team. They are a legit playoff contender, so I'm excited to see how the Niners line up against them.

More than that, Alex Smith lit them up two years ago when he was subbed in desperately by Singletary. They had no idea who he was - they've probably watched some film on him by now, including that game, so they have some idea of Alex's play style. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to an opponent that has gameplanned for him.
When Harbaugh and our non-existent QB take the 49ers to a winning season (playoffs in a crappy division!) that's when we have really seen a difference. Until then, everything else these guys "say" is just another ploy to sell tickets.
I know, it's hard to judge Harbaugh this early, but this franchise has hit the floor...and it will take someone fresh and smart to get it back on track.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

The look-off move was obviously scripted because he blindly went to Konrad immediately after turning his shoulder to the RB. It was a blind throw but that will increase his confidence and trust in Harbaugh's system. Let us hope he begins to do things like that on his own, without script or being told to.

The thing is, we just need this OL to protect long enough to where he has time to look off defenders to make some of the deeper throws. Hopefully Alex is not forced to check-down or run for his life or take a sack too often.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

More than that, Alex Smith lit them up two years ago when he was subbed in desperately by Singletary. They had no idea who he was - they've probably watched some film on him by now, including that game, so they have some idea of Alex's play style. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to an opponent that has gameplanned for him.
This is also the first time we'll be seeing a 3-4 defense, so it gives us another look at how well our line will do in blitz pickup. Mario Williams should be a real test for Staley and Davis coming off the outside.

Defensively, we'll be facing an explosive group, probably the most talented position-by-position we've faced this year(Brees is definitely better than Schaub, but Houston's primary guys at RB, WR, and TE are pretty darn good). Hopefully we can get Rogers and/or Spencer on the field to see how they're doing.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by fan49:
alex checking receivers, moving in pocket to create space, and placing the ball better... thats harbaugh.

This is one thing that I just dont understand. Yes I know Harbaugh was a QB. But can you honestly sit there and tell me that all of our QBs coaches and offensive coordinators never told ALex to do this in the past? Really? Harbaugh is the first coach to try to teach him that? Really? I cant buy that.

Its only preseason so its hard to really see the difference, but Harbaugh appears to have more organization and control out there. Like I said, its only preseason, but you dont see the confusion with getting plays in, wasted timeouts to prevent delay of games, indecisiveness, and other things related to organization and control. In that regard, there has been a clear difference.

What you have to understand is just because a coach instructed Alex the proper method of doing something in the past that doesn't mean that they went about it in the right way. All coaches have different methods of how they go about instructing their players. Clearly QB's respond VERY well to Harbaugh's methods. I saw a lot of encouraging things from Alex against the Raiders. Some of that can be credited to the fact that Alex has over 6 years experience in the NFL and has matured. But obviously you have to give Harbaugh props as well. The fact that the first team offense didn't capitalize in the red zone doesn't concern me just from the fact that Harbaugh hasn't fully installed his offense and because Alex played very well in the red zone last season under quite possibly the worst head coach in the league.

I am neither going to dump on the niners nor get to excited as it is only the preseason. We have played the Raiders good before in preseason, so it is by no means an indication. You have to judge preseason differently. Personally, it was a good confidence booster for the niners though. Still, it was good we played and got skunked by the saints, it made the players and coaches see what they needed to still do and where they were as a team.

The difference I see is the movement on offense before the snap and this is supposed to be their vanilla version. Well their vanilla version looked better than last years suped up version which was the proverbial sitting ducks or shooting fish in a barrell bland. So I am happy with that. Alex may well improve simply because our running game may yet be the bomb that the organization was hoping for last year and he will not have to shoulder the resposibility.

The only knock is that Dixon needs to be bumped to 3rd and Hunter upped to #2, Dixon is still dancing to much while Hunter makes more decisive moves and hits the holes. He has shown he is also mighty strong between the tackles, plus being small and getting lost in the crowd can't be bad either . I bet if on the drive where we botched the field goal and the other where we hit the field goal, if JH had put him in instead of Dixon, we either would have gotten the first down or TD.

I also like the play of Konrad Reuland. I remeber saying at the start when we signed him as a UDFA, that he would be one of the better signings of UDFA and someone dismissed it by saying that he is only a UDFA and that if he was so good that why wasn't he drafted and that he wouldn't make the team cause he is too small weight wise. Even if Nate didn't get hurt, I think he has shown to be more than Nate so far in talent.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by fan49:
alex checking receivers, moving in pocket to create space, and placing the ball better... thats harbaugh.

This is one thing that I just dont understand. Yes I know Harbaugh was a QB. But can you honestly sit there and tell me that all of our QBs coaches and offensive coordinators never told ALex to do this in the past? Really? Harbaugh is the first coach to try to teach him that? Really? I cant buy that.

Its only preseason so its hard to really see the difference, but Harbaugh appears to have more organization and control out there. Like I said, its only preseason, but you dont see the confusion with getting plays in, wasted timeouts to prevent delay of games, indecisiveness, and other things related to organization and control. In that regard, there has been a clear difference.

What you have to understand is just because a coach instructed Alex the proper method of doing something in the past that doesn't mean that they went about it in the right way. All coaches have different methods of how they go about instructing their players. Clearly QB's respond VERY well to Harbaugh's methods. I saw a lot of encouraging things from Alex against the Raiders. Some of that can be credited to the fact that Alex has over 6 years experience in the NFL and has matured. But obviously you have to give Harbaugh props as well. The fact that the first team offense didn't capitalize in the red zone doesn't concern me just from the fact that Harbaugh hasn't fully installed his offense and because Alex played very well in the red zone last season under quite possibly the worst head coach in the league.

Agree. There's also a difference between a coaching telling the QB to follow his reads, shift around and check down than a coach telling the QB exactly how to get the first option open by telling him on this play, this guy is your first option but if you look off to this guy, your 1st option will open up more. Articles even had Harbaugh dropping back and throwing to exemplify. Maybe he showed Alex how a quick look-off actualy got a DB in practice to freeze.

Huge differene between saying so and saying "trust the offense" than showing exactly how it works because of experience.
I see the play calling getting out to the QB better...the offence is not breaking the huddle with the play clock at less then 10 sec.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
The only difference I saw was that the Raiders are complete trash when compared to the Saints.

And even though at times the offense looked like a real NFL offense it is the end result that counts, not how good it looked. The 1st team offense scored 3 points against a team that was 20th in points allowed last year that lost it's best pass defender.
Originally posted by BobS:
And even though at times the offense looked like a real NFL offense it is the end result that counts, not how good it looked. The 1st team offense scored 3 points against a team that was 20th in points allowed last year that lost it's best pass defender.

PRESEASON.
As soon as they got in the red zone, they went even more vanilla with runs. C'mon man!
Share 49ersWebzone