There are 190 users in the forums

Can you see a difference? Harbaugh...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mfe8092:
Originally posted by VA49er:
Again this is a thread about what we saw that was different. Care to discuss the use of all four of our Linebackers in the blitz scheme and the cover 3 concepts appearing in the defense?

Not really. The defense has never been the problem with this team.........if anything, it is that very same defense that has made us look like a semi-pro team these past 5 years. Im not concerned about what kind of schemes we run, because we have the linebackers and corners to execute. The offense is what is lacking on this team........primarily at QB.
Is this singletary's handle?
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Again this is a thread about what we saw that was different. Care to discuss the use of all four of our Linebackers in the blitz scheme and the cover 3 concepts appearing in the defense?

Not really. The defense has never been the problem with this team.........if anything, it is that very same defense that has made us look like a semi-pro team these past 5 years. Im not concerned about what kind of schemes we run, because we have the linebackers and corners to execute. The offense is what is lacking on this team........primarily at QB.
Is this singletary's handle?
Sure sounds like it...defense wasn't ever the problem? The main problem was the qb? Someone is way out of touch with reality.
Changes from week 1:

A pocket was formed and maintained.
Dixon danced less and displayed quickness.
Hunter looked even more Gore-esque.
Smith had time to throw and was extremely accurate.
MLBs blitzed with some success at messing up the Raiders O.
Offense was interesting even though vanilla--first game had too many runs into the middle of the line.

Raiders did not confuse the OLine with blitzes but did confuse Smith on the Int. Harbaugh indicated that this was an oversight of Smith's and that he should look before he passes, just in cast the D is disguised. Also said it wasn't a problem and Smith would improve on this over the next few games.

Even with the vanilla O you can see Harbaugh's scheme stretches the D and makes them cover the entire field. This concept is as old as flag football, but has been missing.

You really just dont have a clue do you? The D has lost plenty of games the last few years in crunch time.... Games that Alex gave us a shot to win and the D gave it up at the end.
Our whole team failed in the past to close out games.
It was mostly put into the hands of teh defence because our past HCs were defensive minded and considered that winning a game with offence is not heard of. The offence is there to give teh defence a long field.

Winning should be acieved on a late FG or even better a safety or pick six.
Harbaugh has done more in 3 weeks of camp than all the other coaches did in their entire tenures.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Harbaugh has done more in 3 weeks of camp than all the other coaches did in their entire tenures.

Harbaugh and Roman are teaching our guys how to play offense in a full version . Not 'simplified because we can't teach it' version.
Hopefully Harbaugh understands the importance of having a good lead. One thing I could not stand about Sing was his insistence on sitting on 3-6 point leads and treating it like they were blowing the other team out of the water. We lost sooo many games during his tenure because of that. I hope Harbaugh doesn't pull off the gas until we have a 20 point lead!
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Hopefully Harbaugh understands the importance of having a good lead. One thing I could not stand about Sing was his insistence on sitting on 3-6 point leads and treating it like they were blowing the other team out of the water. We lost sooo many games during his tenure because of that. I hope Harbaugh doesn't pull off the gas until we have a 20 point lead!

Man this is so true. I miss the 80s and 90s 49ers teams that would just beat their opponent to piss. When was the last time we had a 40+ point game?
Not to take anything away from Harbaugh, but I think we would see an improved difference by anyone with only half a clue replacing Singletary/Jimmy Raye.

• dj43
Originally posted by SJniner7:

20 points! Is that all? WHAT'S YOUR DEAL!

Somehow I don't think we are going to have to worry about Harbaugh taking his foot off the gas in a victory.
  • dj43
It is refreshing, after years of junk coaching, to have a thread in which we are seeing the positive effects of good coaching.

When Shaun Hill arrived here we had a good opportunity to compare what good coaching could do for a very average player. Hill came from Minne where he had the benefit of a QB coach who had played the position, a WCO-based system that worked, the chance to see a quality QB execute it, etc. So when he came to SF and stepped in to play better than anyone expected, it should have given us all a good vision of what good coaching could do. Too bad we had to wait another three years to get it.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by fan49:
alex checking receivers, moving in pocket to create space, and placing the ball better... thats harbaugh.

This is one thing that I just dont understand. Yes I know Harbaugh was a QB. But can you honestly sit there and tell me that all of our QBs coaches and offensive coordinators never told ALex to do this in the past? Really? Harbaugh is the first coach to try to teach him that? Really? I cant buy that.

Its only preseason so its hard to really see the difference, but Harbaugh appears to have more organization and control out there. Like I said, its only preseason, but you dont see the confusion with getting plays in, wasted timeouts to prevent delay of games, indecisiveness, and other things related to organization and control. In that regard, there has been a clear difference.

Alex Smith's previous QB coach - Jim Hostler.
Cant wait to bump this thread after week 6.........when Alex had put us in the dumpster. Cant wait to see who u guys blame then......

So you are here to incite and hope that the team fails just so you can say "I told you so?" Perhaps this is not the place for you.

NVM - you are a PBM.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by Axl49:
I dont wanna eat my words here still early but I saw vast improvement of Alex last week over all of last year in only one week. Maybe Jim does know what he's doing.

Smith looked decent. I'd like to see him look decent again next week. Consistency...

I'm with you. Good game for Smith, but unless he repeats it each week, it means nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone