LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i like 33 better than Dixon..... Dixon may get the boot
Originally posted by tapuout27:
i don't see any surprising cuts happening this year. It looks as if Har-Baalke has their team set up how they want it.
It's ridiculous to even entertain the notion that Anthony Davis could get cut. This isn't Maybin we're talking about. He's still very young. Give him time, even if it is on the bench

Hell they gave Maybin 3 years. No way in hell Anthony Davis gets cut. People don't understand the NFL if they think a 1st round pick will get cut after 1 year.
Mays, Dixon & Ginn. I actually don't think any of these should be that surprising, but I guess we'll see.
There are a number of untouchables on the team, Willis and J Smith on D and Gore and V Davis on O lead the way. The second set of players are set as starters or are too versatile to cut--including A Smith, Staley, Walker, Edwards, Goldson, Whitmer, Rogers, Spencer, and the kickers. But I would not be surprised if any of the marginal players are cut because I don't know how valuable they are as ST players or what the coaches really think of them.

I think the definition of a surprise would be someone that seems very secure being cut and it just doesn't appear likely. It would have to be someone in a competitive area like the lines or Safety. The other posibility is someone who is often injured like a receiver or DB.
ziegler so edwards can have his number plus hes on the pup list adams curtis taylor kyle williams parys taylor mays throw one more out there josh morgan
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I think Wragge stays. He's versatile, can play all over the line.

Yeah, I think Wragge and M. Williams at safety can stay. I'd like it if Philip Adams could stay cuz he's kinda versatile and played well before...That's 3 more guys so I think they cut Applewhite. Can't say I know how he's played though. Costanzo is hand picked so I guess he makes it. He sounds like a ST ace.

I'd like it if there was room for Miller but I just don't see it...

I guess they have to cut Mays.They obviously wish that they hadn't drafted him at all. He's not practicing hard on the p-squad. I think you have to cut him and let him be some other teams project since they don't see developing him. I liked the pick at the time cuz I thought they were convinced he had the potential and Lott loved him.
[ Edited by Walsh on Aug 21, 2011 at 12:36 AM ]
i guess alex smith is a surprise cut at this point.
colin kaepernick would be a surprise cut.

it's really not a well-worded question/subject line.
that said, even most of the responses aren't acccurately aligned.

surprise cut? patrick willis. that'd be a surprise.
surprise cut? jonathan goodwin, b/c we just signed him and gave him guaranteed money. i'd be surprised.
surprise cut? ...andy lee, bruised hip

players who will probably be cut?
my bet is on those with less experience and/or practice squad ineligibility.
kristick is my "surprise cut".
Originally posted by STNiner:
I say we trade anthony Davis while he still have value, we have a lot of good O linemen that can fill his void

No we don't. We have some depth and a couple of options. And that's it.
WR Ziegler and S Curtis Taylor/ Taylor Mays
Taylor, Ziggy, M Williams, Ginn, Norris

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
WR Ziegler and S Curtis Taylor/ Taylor Mays

those wouldn't surprise me. those guys are pretty much guaranteed to get cut, IMO. the only one who has a chance is Taylor but we have a logjam of safeties who are good on ST.
MOOOOORAAAAAAAAAA NAAAAAAWRIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Originally posted by STNiner:
i like 33 better than Dixon..... Dixon may get the boot

Negative. You can't just have one backup RB on the roster if Frank Gore is your starter. Too injury prone. Need 3 RB's.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Hell they gave Maybin 3 years. No way in hell Anthony Davis gets cut. People don't understand the NFL if they think a 1st round pick will get cut after 1 year.

Maybin got 2 years.
Originally posted by NinerNation:
ziegler so edwards can have his number plus hes on the pup list adams curtis taylor kyle williams parys taylor mays throw one more out there josh morgan

Braylon said on twitter that he was going to take #18. Here are some tweets from a few weeks ago. He even has started calling his followers team18, kinda weird though since Lance Long currently has that number.

OfficialBraylonBraylon Edwards
GoodMorning #Team18...I dare you to be great today in whatever it is you're doing #LetsGo
9 Aug
»

Ok thanks for the help glad we could do this as a team, as in #Team18  gotta go 
8 Aug
»

Or my 2 old numbers combined hmm RT @CoreyLongTime: @OfficialBraylon Go with 18 my man. 17 + 1. The "1" equals being the number 1 WR.
8 Aug

Oh, and no way Joshua(we should respect his wishes and call him Joshua now I guess) Morgan gets cut.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone