There are 281 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith

that be awesome
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I agree with these two, as well as Madieu Williams and Ronald Johnson.

Why?

Would be a real shocker considering Morton will likely pull for him and he has value as a return man....

Depends on how many WR's we keep.

LOCKS: Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
BUBBLE: Williams, Johnson

If we only keep 5 he could be in trouble.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Ginn isnt a lock. He consistently drops passes and since the return field has been shortened, someone like him isnt a lock to stay around.
Ginn is more of a lock IMO. He is playing 1st team with Morgan.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Spencer? He has been our most consistent CB over the past few years. Would not consider him great, but definitely a solid #2. I almost included Haralson too

I think that's why its called SURPRISE cuts....just sayin
If we had a little more depth at OLB I wouldn't mind seeing Haralson cut, but I don't think there's a chance in hell it happens.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM ]
Patrick Willis
Frank Gore
Vernon Davis
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If we had a little more depth at OLB I wouldn't mind seeing Haralson cut, but I don't think there's a chance in hell it happens.

He is the most established pass rusher on the team, maybe that will change with the new scheme and players starting.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

He is the most established pass rusher on the team, maybe that will change with the new scheme and players starting.

Which is sad, considering that he's not a particularly good pass rusher.
Haralson has an excellent burst, but he's not very good at powering through blocks (like Manny). He is much more useful as a DL in a nickel rush... just does a better job with hand in the dirt. Will watch for him tonight, as he was pretty good on run D last weekend. I like having him for depth, but I'm far from sold on him as a starter.

Which is sad, considering that he's not a particularly good pass rusher.

I think he would do well as an end in the nickle, he was very good in college at 4-3 end. He is an average 3-4 OLB more quick than fast.
I would be surprised if we cut Goldson or Anthony Davis but not shocked.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex Smith

Oh wait -- that's my hope -- not an actual answer to the thread title.

OK -- my answer is still Alex Smith.

On that day, I will do my best Martin Luther King, Jr. impression: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Good idea! Throw Kap out there with our O-Line...great! Then he will be bad for 5 more years...terrific.

McKillop, Mays, Norris, Ziegler.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Ginn isnt a lock. He consistently drops passes and since the return field has been shortened, someone like him isnt a lock to stay around.

His value is in the punt game not kickoff.
I don't wanna see Johnson go

But I know Ginn will have the upper hand because of experience and return abilities. I know RoJo can return too, but he is nowhere close to Ginn. Williams is the one who will likely be competing with Johnson if we only keep 5. And as we've all seen and heard, Williams is doing very good. If he can stay healthy, he will be a solid weapon for this offense and return game too. It feels good to have so much competition at the WR position, because it pushes everyone to get better and it means we have an overflow of talent there. Still, I know Johnson won't make it to the PS if thats where we want to put him. There will def be some team who will snatch him and put him on their final roster IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone