LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
I see us picking up some players after the final cuts. The back end of our roster is really crap.

i agree that we'll pick up a player or two after final cuts. there's always a few bubble players who make the team...for a day, and then they get cut when someone better hits the street.
Originally posted by susweel:
I see us picking up some players after the final cuts. The back end of our roster is really crap.

I agree with that. I'm having trouble just coming up with 53.
While many hear have been following the players since they have been here, the new coaching staff has only seen film for the most part. More importantly, they dictate the scheme and see the players up close each and every day. So I agree with the OP that there will be 'surprise cuts' but I also believe that many zone favorites will be released with no looks back, which may surprise many on this board and cause many WTF moments. I can't wait because the last HC was too close to the issues and I think he was part of the problem.

Here's to a fresh look. May not be all that pretty initially so we may have to wait. Kinda' like 1979..but I hope closer to 1980 or more.
Originally posted by Howlett:
Norris isn't going to get cut!!!! Who will play FB? If there was someone competing for FB spot then maybe. No competition no cut.

Miller might start the season on the practice squad. If he can survive there and continue ot learn to be a FB, as well as prove his ability as a DE, the Niners may activate him and cut Morris during the season. Haralson may be a possibility. Fangio may want an upstart like Simmons to pass rush.
I agree with that. I'm having trouble just coming up with 53.

Really? I figured between all our OLb's/ ILB's Wr's and safeties, we have like 40 players right there.. lol.
Originally posted by nyfl9erfan:
While many hear have been following the players since they have been here, the new coaching staff has only seen film for the most part. More importantly, they dictate the scheme and see the players up close each and every day. So I agree with the OP that there will be 'surprise cuts' but I also believe that many zone favorites will be released with no looks back, which may surprise many on this board and cause many WTF moments. I can't wait because the last HC was too close to the issues and I think he was part of the problem.

Here's to a fresh look. May not be all that pretty initially so we may have to wait. Kinda' like 1979..but I hope closer to 1980 or more.

Definitely closer to 1980... This team probably has more overall talent than that one did... The success or failure of this team this year will depend on the coaching staff's ability to get the most out of that talent. The previous 3 staffs didn't have a clue of how to do that.

Now.....as far as the thread is concerned, here are mine... Norris (because he is so one-dimensional), Zeigler (because he hasn't been on the field), Applewhite (didn't impress against the Saints). If he had any competition, I think Dixon would be on that list too but he seems safe for the time being.
DL: 7
Ray Mac
Ice
Smith
RJF
Tuku
Dobbs
Williams

LB: 8
Smith
Bowman
Willis
Brooks
Haralson
Grant
Applewhite
Costanzo

CB: 5
Rogers
Spencer
Culliver
Brock
Brown

S: 4
Whitner
Goldson
Smith
Spillman

ST: 3
Lee
Akers
Jennings

Thats 27 on "D" and ST

Combined with 24 on "O" is 51... last 2 spots i'm still scratching my head.

I think Wragge stays. He's versatile, can play all over the line.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Mark it down, Braylon will be wearing number 17 when it's all said and done. Haven't heard nothing about Zeigler.
Alex Smith
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith

yeah probably

Other teams cuts may help determine 9er cuts. If they can pick up a vet who loses the numbers game with a good team then a 9er becomes expendable. Would look for OLinemen, DBs, WR, and RBs. LBs seem pretty well set, DL might be a place to pick up a vet but I doubt it.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith

yeah probably

Just Mike being Mike.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Taylor Mays Scott McKillop
Originally posted by Chief:
Taylor Mays Scott McKillop

I agree with these two, as well as Madieu Williams and Ronald Johnson.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I agree with these two, as well as Madieu Williams and Ronald Johnson.

Why?

Would be a real shocker considering Morton will likely pull for him and he has value as a return man....
Share 49ersWebzone