LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
MODS - Feel free to merge this mimics any other threads...

Who are the surprise cuts in 2011? In particular, I mean guy we expect to make the roster, although we may not want them to.

Mine are...

FB - Moran Norris
-He has serious limits. While he provides a good blocking FB, he cannot pass catch and is consistently slow. Harbaugh's creative offense may lessen the need for a power-running fullback

WR - Ted Ginn
-Hunter seems to have good vision on kickoffs and they may cut Ginn to keep Ronald Johnson or one of the other UDFA or younger recievers

CB - Tarell Brown
-We would take a cap hit, but Harbaugh/Fangio may like the Culliver, Adams, and Brock combo over Brown's experience.
Spencer, Haralson, and I.Williams.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Spencer? He has been our most consistent CB over the past few years. Would not consider him great, but definitely a solid #2. I almost included Haralson too
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good thread I was think about making a similar one.

I actually dont see many surprises this year. I think the shortness of the off season has limited the coaching staffs ability to really evaluate the roster. They will be more likely to go with vets then unknowns then in years past.
Haralson, Norris, Brown
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Spencer? He has been our most consistent CB over the past few years. Would not consider him great, but definitely a solid #2. I almost included Haralson too

Agreed, even though he has been injured most of camp, he will be on the final 53.
MODS - Feel free to merge this mimics any other threads... Who are the surprise cuts in 2011? In particular, I mean guy we expect to make the roster, although we may not want them to. Mine are... FB - Moran Norris -He has serious limits. While he provides a good blocking FB, he cannot pass catch and is consistently slow. Harbaugh's creative offense may lessen the need for a power-running fullback WR - Ted Ginn -Hunter seems to have good vision on kickoffs and they may cut Ginn to keep Ronald Johnson or one of the other UDFA or younger recievers CB - Tarell Brown -We would take a cap hit, but Harbaugh/Fangio may like the Culliver, Adams, and Brock combo over Brown's experience.

Dont see any of these would actually be a surprise. To be honest, the surprise would be if Norris and Ginn arent cut.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
CB - Tarell Brown
S - Curtis Taylor, Madieu Williams, Taylor Mays
LB - Haralson, McKillop, or Kristick, any of those 3
DE/NT - no one
Oline - no one
TE - no one
WR - Ziegler or Ginn
FB - Norris
RB - I have to throw it out there but Dixon.....I haven't heard anything about his play, good or bad in camp so you have to wonder.
QB - no one.

EDIT: by no one I mean no "surprise" cuts. They seem pretty set in stone.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Spencer had 1 good year sammiched between injured and mediocre seasons. Hes not reliable in coverage or health imo. I think Brock or Culliver could take his place and do just as well. Once Culliver gets the speed down hes a front runner for me to take a starting job at CB. The boy can lay down some hits and his speed is still impressive. His only issue is his hands are about as bad as Rogers.
Chilo Rachal

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Spencer is not going anywhere. every year people says he's going to cut.
[ Edited by boast on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM ]
I think Spencer needs to be kept. He and Rogers have the most experience. Im not sold on giving spots to Adams and Brock, and then having Brown over Spencer.

I Love Culliver he is gonna be the 3rd CB I hope.

Even tho Spencer has 100K Bonus this yr and next, and we would save over 6M for the next 2 yrs, we aren't in need of cap space.

Just isnt right move IMO anyway.
Originally posted by sfout:
CB - Tarell Brown
DE/NT - no one
Oline - no one
TE - no one
WR - Ziegler or Ginn
FB - Norris
RB - I have to throw it out there but Dixon.....I haven't heard anything about his play, good or bad in camp so you have to wonder.
QB - no one.

I was reading that it looks like Dixon isn't progressing. Gore and Hunter are getting to the 2nd levels in practice while Dixon isn't. Hopefully he turns it up.
I don't really think any big names will go.

Taylor Mays or M. Williams could go.

Anthony Dixon is my darkhorse.
Originally posted by sfout:
CB - Tarell Brown
DE/NT - no one
Oline - no one
TE - no one
WR - Ziegler or Ginn
FB - Norris
QB - no one.

In addition I would put Rachal on that list and it wouldn't surprise me to see Crabtree there as well, at least he would be there on my list if I could get a good trade for him.
Share 49ersWebzone