There are 163 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
LOL. Ok dude.

Yeah I hate being wrong too. Keep on with your assumptions. LOL FTW LMAO ROLF LOL LOL ROLF LMAO FTW

What assumption did I make. Watch the play. ALex is locked onto the receiver he wanted to throw and didnt see the rusher coming right into his face. What assumption was said in that sentence?
I won't create another Smiff thread. And, as we all know every thread devolves into one.

Since this IS a QB thread, I'll let Vernon do my talking:

Davis has been Smith's biggest supporter throughout the past month's "quarterback competition" with rookie Colin Kaepernick. Why?
"Because I believe in him. I know he can do it. I know he has what it takes," Davis responded. "I say that because he's been through so much, and he has not yet put his head down. He's come a long way, and with him handling all this adversity, it lets me know he's a strong person who wants to succeed and be successful. That's why I have his back."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_18766300?nclick_check=1

As the front page article suggests, if you look at Smith as the stopgap instead of the #1 overall pick, you will be at peace

Give the guy a break. We know he is the 2011 version of DeBerg. The better he does, the more Kap will develop (i.e. not thrown to the wolves unprepared). And, if Alex finally puts it together, we will have a good problem to have -- an heir and a spare
  • Jiks
What assumption did I make. Watch the play. ALex is locked onto the receiver he wanted to throw and didnt see the rusher coming right into his face. What assumption was said in that sentence?

Think about a guy rushing you. You are looking at a reciever. You usually have less than 3 seconds to get the ball out of your hands. Your telling me Alex should have stopped everything he's doing and thought "Oh I feel this pressure, I'm gonna get hurt so maybe I should do something else" That's why I brought up Steve Young. He had a corner blitz, I'm sure he felt the pressure, but he stood strong to make the pass. My point... Injuries happen to everybody. Who are you to say what really happened? What fact's do you have he was staring down his reciever? What fact's do you have to support the so-called fact that "He wouldnt have gotten hurt if he wasnt staring down the wide receiver he intended to throw you....resulting in his inability to see/feel pressure coming right in front of his body." This is the NFL, QB's get hit and injured even the best of them, I.E Young, and Brady. You assume that Alex wouldn't have gotten hurt, but he did. There is no factual evidance besides what you believe to be true. Is that not an assumption?
No way, I believe if the Oline can give Alex some some decent blocking then we should be able to score on any and every D in the NFL.
34% of the zone are blinded by their hate
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Think about a guy rushing you. You are looking at a reciever. You usually have less than 3 seconds to get the ball out of your hands. Your telling me Alex should have stopped everything he's doing and thought "Oh I feel this pressure, I'm gonna get hurt so maybe I should do something else" That's why I brought up Steve Young. He had a corner blitz, I'm sure he felt the pressure, but he stood strong to make the pass. My point... Injuries happen to everybody. Who are you to say what really happened? What fact's do you have he was staring down his reciever? What fact's do you have to support the so-called fact that "He wouldnt have gotten hurt if he wasnt staring down the wide receiver he intended to throw you....resulting in his inability to see/feel pressure coming right in front of his body." This is the NFL, QB's get hit and injured even the best of them, I.E Young, and Brady. You assume that Alex wouldn't have gotten hurt, but he did. There is no factual evidance besides what you believe to be true. Is that not an assumption?

Perhaps Smith was staring at the WR and thinking..."My god, he's still not running the correct route even though we went over and over it in practice. Can we get guys in here with IQs above single digits? I wonder if my laundry is ready, I'll have to stop by on my way home. Yeah, I see that 350 pound DT coming at me but I laugh in the face of danger. Oh look! The receiver has stopped and is looking at his girl friend in the stands...better throw one of those out of bounds passes everyone hates."
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
among active players, in terms of historical pay for historical performance, yes, no doubt, he is the worst in the leage. In terms of production on the field independent of compensation, he is in the bottom 25% of QB's in the NFL. Same goes for his leadership skills - well intentioned, but he can't motivate his teammates out of a paper bag. In terms of being book smart and learning a playbook quickly, he's among the best. In terms of being football smart and instinctive and executing to a playbook with confidence and results, he is among the worst in the NFL. In terms of attitude, work ethic, putting his team above himself, and valuing his commitments to the team above money, he's among the best in the NFL, and I'm at least thankful for that.

Smith in year 7 produces less than most 1st rd QB's in year one, and that list is getting longer and longer, and the difference in performance is getting more and more stark.

The saddest part of all is that when Smith takes a s**t on the field, he has tons of excuses to justify his bad performance, and when an NFL rookie comes in and plays 10x better than Smith, there are tons of excuses to justify his good performance. LOL!
[ Edited by Shaj on Aug 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Perhaps Smith was staring at the WR and thinking..."My god, he's still not running the correct route even though we went over and over it in practice. Can we get guys in here with IQs above single digits? I wonder if my laundry is ready, I'll have to stop by on my way home. Yeah, I see that 350 pound DT coming at me but I laugh in the face of danger. Oh look! The receiver has stopped and is looking at his girl friend in the stands...better throw one of those out of bounds passes everyone hates."

I has a laugh.
Originally posted by Shaj:
among active players, in terms of historical pay for historical performance, yes, no doubt, he is the worst in the leage. In terms of production on the field independent of compensation, he is in the bottom 25% of QB's in the NFL. Same goes for his leadership skills - well intentioned, but he can't motivate his teammates out of a paper bag. In terms of being book smart and learning a playbook quickly, he's among the best. In terms of being football smart and instinctive and executing to a playbook with confidence and results, he is among the worst in the NFL. In terms of attitude, work ethic, putting his team above himself, and valuing his commitments to the team above money, he's among the best in the NFL, and I'm at least thankful for that.

Smith in year 7 produces less than most 1st rd QB's in year one, and that list is getting longer and longer, and the difference in performance is getting more and more stark.

The saddest part of all is that when Smith takes a s**t on the field, he has tons of excuses to justify his bad performance, and when an NFL rookie comes in and plays 10x better than Smith, there are tons of excuses to justify his good performance. LOL!

Good post. When Smith makes mistakes on his own his fans say things like "All QBs make stupid moves." Well Smith isn't going to make up for those mistakes with stellar performances so we are not as forgiving as those other QBs fans. The other mistakes and poor performances are arributed to bad WR, OL, and coaching.

Its annoying when Smith fans bash other 49ers players and coaches but if you bash Smith, "your not a true fan," and "you should support the team no matter what."

Oh the irony.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Good post. When Smith makes mistakes on his own his fans say things like "All QBs make stupid moves." Well Smith isn't going to make up for those mistakes with stellar performances so we are not as forgiving as those other QBs fans. The other mistakes and poor performances are arributed to bad WR, OL, and coaching.

Its annoying when Smith fans bash other 49ers players and coaches but if you bash Smith, "your not a true fan," and "you should support the team no matter what."

Oh the irony.
Who has said any of that stuff? Strawman arguments and hyperbole don't suit you Young. You know it is a team sport. I agree about bashing other players, that really annoys me too, especially when they quit taking into account how the dynamics of team sports work.

Oh the irony.

Most of we "Smith fans" do not bash other players without using specific instances, as opposed to "blank sucks." Most also admit that Smith has not lived up to his No. 1 status, but we see reasons other than lack of ability. Hope for Smith is alive in some fans, not in others. Our OLine has been rated at the bottom of the NFL year in and year out...are we suppose to say it doesn't matter? WRs running the wrong route or dropping passes doesn't matter? It's all just Smith? Come on now. We should be able to agree that the entire offense, short of Gore has been bad at times over the past eight years (most of the times).

Until VD learned to be a team guy he consistently did assinine things calling attention to himself. He doesn't do that any more and is one of the best TEs in the NFL. Why might that not happen with Smith? Rachal? Crabtree? They have a good offensive minded coach now and the addition of Edwards may be meaningful.

The fact that VD, Gore and Willis all support Smith means a great deal to me as a fan. You can say they are just carrying on the company line but they do have free will and they are stars...don't have to risk their credibility to carry water for the Yorks.

The fact that Harbaugh sees something in Smith means a great deal to me as a fan. If he is accurate and can turn Smith's career around won't that be wonderful? If not they have CK and can find others to compete for the job.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Oh the irony.
Who has said any of that stuff? Strawman arguments and hyperbole don't suit you Young. You know it is a team sport. I agree about bashing other players, that really annoys me too, especially when they quit taking into account how the dynamics of team sports work.

This isn't a strawman argument. People on this board say things like this all the time. If my statement is a strawman argument then so is your statement, "...especially when they (Smith Haters) quit taking into account how the dynamics of team sports work."

This is a team sport my friend. When I see a weak link in our TEAM (R.Woods, Jim Hostler, K.Harris, RAchal, M.Lawson, Singleterry, etc...) I want them benched or cut. I see QB as a weak link on our team right now.

I understand how a team can hold back a QB, but i also understand how a QB can hold a team back. I don't believe our team is THAT BAD to the point where the QB has little to do with us not making the playoffs in many many years. I was a big Smith supporter until the O'Sullivan scandal. After that i thought his shoulder was shot like Chad Pennington's and he doesn't have the fire to be a successful QB..

Oh the irony.

This isn't a strawman argument. People on this board say things like this all the time. If my statement is a strawman argument then so is your statement, "...especially when they (Smith Haters) quit taking into account how the dynamics of team sports work."

This is a team sport my friend. When I see a weak link in our TEAM (R.Woods, Jim Hostler, K.Harris, RAchal, M.Lawson, Singleterry, etc...) I want them benched or cut. I see QB as a weak link on our team right now.

I understand how a team can hold back a QB, but i also understand how a QB can hold a team back. I don't believe our team is THAT BAD to the point where the QB has little to do with us not making the playoffs in many many years. I was a big Smith supporter until the O'Sullivan scandal. After that i thought his shoulder was shot like Chad Pennington's and he doesn't have the fire to be a successful QB..

Man no one since ceaddar has been so homerish to make claims like that. There are a way higher percentage of anti-Smith guys that go off on a hyperbolic tangent. What is the O'Sullivan scandal? You mean when a OC from another team came in and then brought in the "the best QB he has ever coached" backup from his previous team? Even ignoring the fact that Smith was still injured and had to go back and have surgery again, JTO already knew the system. As for the fire, that is just opinion, and you are entitled to form your own man. I appreciate you are able to argue with reason unlike some guys that just let their emotions get the better of their sound judgment and good sense. Enjoy the game tonight brother.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Oh the irony.

Most of we "Smith fans" do not bash other players without using specific instances, as opposed to "blank sucks." Most also admit that Smith has not lived up to his No. 1 status, but we see reasons other than lack of ability. Hope for Smith is alive in some fans, not in others. Our OLine has been rated at the bottom of the NFL year in and year out...are we suppose to say it doesn't matter? WRs running the wrong route or dropping passes doesn't matter? It's all just Smith? Come on now. We should be able to agree that the entire offense, short of Gore has been bad at times over the past eight years (most of the times).

Until VD learned to be a team guy he consistently did assinine things calling attention to himself. He doesn't do that any more and is one of the best TEs in the NFL. Why might that not happen with Smith? Rachal? Crabtree? They have a good offensive minded coach now and the addition of Edwards may be meaningful.

The fact that VD, Gore and Willis all support Smith means a great deal to me as a fan. You can say they are just carrying on the company line but they do have free will and they are stars...don't have to risk their credibility to carry water for the Yorks.

The fact that Harbaugh sees something in Smith means a great deal to me as a fan. If he is accurate and can turn Smith's career around won't that be wonderful? If not they have CK and can find others to compete for the job.

Yeah but the "instances" are exactly that, one moment, which does not reflect the whole story. I've heard people here say putting Rivers on our team last year wouldn't have made the playoffs and cited some "instances." Or that Bradford wasn't that great even though he was ROY. Or that Bradford succeeded because of the RAMS' superior team and coaching. All these "instances" to downgrade their abilities in order to make Smith look better.

We also see reasons other then Smith's lack of ability. We think he has all the talent to be a great QB. So did Jeff George and Scott Mitchell and other talented QBs. Matt Leionart is a good example. He sucked balls on a team Kurt Warner took to the Super Bowl. Leionart was more athletic and younger but he didn't have leadership, and a good work ethic. Those guys never amounted to anything because they didn't have one or more of the following: leadership, intelligence, pocket presence, accuracy during the game, durability. I beleive that Smith lacks leadership and pocket presence and accuracy in the game. He's a practice beast.

Yes the offense has problems. But what about when the QB holds the ball too long, wtf fumbles the ball, throws wtf interceptions, or misses a WR badly. What if the QB can't handle the pressure and doesn't have the moxy to play that position? You are right, short of Gore and VD, the offense has been bad, including Alex Smith. It goes both ways.When Smith does gets a pocket he does decent. But he still misses and throws interceptions. When things break down, he's at his worst. This is the problem.

VD turned it around in year three with the same s**tty coaches and team VD had. We are in year 7 with Smith. Time for Smith to "mature" or whatever and be more like VD....?

VD and Gore don't support Smith in the name of the company and Jed York bro. They are being good teammates. These guys say the same s**t about the camp trash as well. Its not cool to rip on your teammates.

Yes believe signing smith to come here and groom Kaepernick was a good idea. I don't believe he did it because he thinks Smith is a HOFer. We really don't know what he thinks, its all speculation. But if he though so highly of Smith why move up to draft Kaep and only give a 1 year deal?

Oh the irony.

Man no one since ceaddar has been so homerish to make claims like that. There are a way higher percentage of anti-Smith guys that go off on a hyperbolic tangent. What is the O'Sullivan scandal? You mean when a OC from another team came in and then brought in the "the best QB he has ever coached" backup from his previous team? Even ignoring the fact that Smith was still injured and had to go back and have surgery again, JTO already knew the system. As for the fire, that is just opinion, and you are entitled to form your own man. I appreciate you are able to argue with reason unlike some guys that just let their emotions get the better of their sound judgment and good sense. Enjoy the game tonight brother.

Yes there are. To be honost, its fun to get the smith fans riled up. They have to ignore it. And the reason why there are more percentages of those from the Anti-Smith crowd is because its easy. "Smith sucks." "f**k Smith." See? Its much harder to write "Smith is good" or "Smith is a pro bowler." The reason its hard to say that is because you have to attache a "but" to every sentance. "Smith is good BUT our coaching and Oline were awful." And when Smith fans say things like that, its harder to ignore because you are ripping on our team. We can't just brush it off. If someone wrote just "Smith is a HOFer," its a joke, easy to ignore, and not even worthy of a response.

As for the O'Sullivan scandal, that was a bad joke. And i didn't ignore the fact that Smith was injured. I even said it above. "After that (the benching) i thought his (Smith's) shoulder was shot like Chad Pennington's..." Martz had to support JT just like a good teammatewould do for his starter.

Yeah this is a fan forum. In the end the purpose is to debate and discuss sports. We are all still niner lovers obviously just to be on this site lol...

And yes, enjoy the game tonight. I'm going to BBQ up some nice Texan's Rib Eye.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone