There are 281 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
worst move ever

i nominate ian williams to be the web zone's new whipping boy

i do not think people care enough about him to whip him or give him any attention.considering the number of need areas we have on this team, it does not thrill me but oh well. god forbid you question the front office around here
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This shows me that they want to keep young guys and build the team through the draft. This will allow us to keep our own players later instead of losing them to FA.

what has this guy done to make you think he deserves this kind of money? he had a nice pre season??
Good move IMO, cheap deal, a good player, avoids free agency next offseason. Love it.
It looks to me that whatever the Zone thinks about Williams that Harbaalke think that he has enough value to sign him up. So that means he will be the future RJF, the backup NT or he will compete with whomever else they bring in at NT. So Harbaalke has spoken and they have stated that at one level or another Ian Williams is going to be playing with the Niners for this next year.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
It looks to me that whatever the Zone thinks about Williams that Harbaalke think that he has enough value to sign him up. So that means he will be the future RJF, the backup NT or he will compete with whomever else they bring in at NT. So Harbaalke has spoken and they have stated that at one level or another Ian Williams is going to be playing with the Niners for this next year.

... but more importantly, Jim Tomsula must really see something in Ian. Good news.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Good move IMO, cheap deal, a good player, avoids free agency next offseason. Love it.

AB, what do you see him as. backup DE? Starting NT? Backup NT who competes for job? I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter this year or down the road a year or two.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
AB, what do you see him as. backup DE? Starting NT? Backup NT who competes for job? I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter this year or down the road a year or two.

I could see him taking over at NT. I dont think hes quick enough to be a DE at all

My guess is back up at both DE and NT, and plan B starter at NT if things don't break right for the 9ers.

Seems like if they thought he was ready to start they would have worked him in more last season. But who knows. They displayed confidence in RJF very suddenly and were not wrong about him.
Yeah, he could be that RJF backup DE, backup NT guy. Would be a cheaper version of RJF if he is going to get 4-5 mil a year... compare that to 1.6. Has Ian ever played DE for us? I recall seeing him in at NT a bit during the end of games but never at DE. He seemed soft and out of shape when he came here but last year I could tell he was leaner and stronger. I am sure working with this group of players/coaches if they wanted him to he could get slimmer and quicker to play DE or gain bulk and get stronger to play NT. RJF when he got her he was a lot softer as well. He's in much better shape now.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM ]
worst move ever

spending 1.5 mill a year cant be qualified as worst move ever, when Soap was a nonfactor last season

The only reason why I'm not upset is because these were the same guys that found Alex Boone and Ray McDonald before anybody knew how special they would be.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
worst move ever

spending 1.5 mill a year cant be qualified as worst move ever, when Soap was a nonfactor last season

I am questioning my fanhood since we didn't trade for Harvin and Revis and sign Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace. Not saying hofer lost it but year after year we see people lose it after the 1st day of free agency and you know where the teams that sign all these big name FAs to ridiculiously overpriced contracts are? At the bottom of the league. Some fans I swear would rather sign big named overpriced FA's and lose than sign the Carlos Rogers of the world and win. How many thought before last season that Rogers would be a better signing than Asomougha for the Eagles? Laurent Robinson 5 years, 32 mil for Jags 7 GP, 24 for 252 0 tds and a fumble lost, Randy Moss 1 yr, 2.5 mil 16 GP, 28 for 434 3 tds 0 fumbles lost
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
I think we really dont need our our version of Wilfork. big massive nose tackles get tired quick and cost $$$. Alot of teams we play spread us out in nickle and dime packages so we wont have a nose in there. IF we bring in a cheap vet like Knighton who can play nose with Williams and then draft a 3-4 DE at 31 or 34 I would be happy.

RE: Justin D. Jones or Margus Hunt

NT: Knighton Ian Williams

LE: RayMac Tukuafu
Instead of D. Jones or Hunt, I'd suggest Sly Williams, 6-3, 315, plays inside and out. He'd give Fangio more flexibility on the DL...then maybe Justin & RayMac won't wear down so much. I'm down w/Ian's extension...he's among a number of young players who'll have an opportunity to step up. Same scenario in our secondary...which could be another reason Baalke's not falling all over Goldson. If you can promote from within, it does two things...save $$ and enhance team-building. Feeds right into "who's got it better than us...NOBODY".

Backup for now, possible starting NT depended on free agency/draft.
Share 49ersWebzone