LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 301 users in the forums

2012 Niner Free Agents

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With all the one year signings this year, and our regularly scheduled crop of FAs next year, I started thinking about what 2012 might look like. From what I could find the 2012 Niner FA class looks like (*=starter):

Frank Gore*
Alex Smith*
Moran Norris*
Josh Morgan*
Braylon Edwards (* until Crabtree is back maybe longer)
Ted Ginn
Adam Snyder (* until Goodwin takes over)
Chilo Rachal*
Tony Wragge
Ahmad Brooks*
Reggie Smith
Carlos Rogers*
Dashon Goldson*
Madieu Williams
Blake Costanzo

I didn't include any of the undrafted FA signings (obviously) and I'm not 100% sure I got everyone. There are some significant (expected) contributors here but overall it doesn't look terrible even though there are 10 starters expected to be FAs at the end of the season. CB will be a need again next year as will O-line. I expect Gore will be extended before training camp is finished and perhaps someone like Rogers and/or Edwards will be offered a new deal during the season if they are performing. Some of the "starters" (ie Rachal, Snyder and possibly Alex Smith) are very replaceable based on historial performance. Net is we're not looking too bad for the future!
i was going to say that its way too early to start thinking about this, but, given how long it took us to start signing free agents this year, the timing might be perfect!
Blake Costonzo?!?!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
According to Maiocco, here are the Free Agents we have at the end of the year. I knew we had signed some 1 year deals, but wow, there is a lot of talent on this team that needs to be resigned. (I bolded the ones I'd like to see back, given a reasonable contract - these guys seem to make plays):

49ers contract status
Signed through 2011
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson
LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith
OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
According to Maiocco, here are the Free Agents we have at the end of the year. I knew we had signed some 1 year deals, but wow, there is a lot of talent on this team that needs to be resigned. (I bolded the ones I'd like to see back, given a reasonable contract - these guys seem to make plays):

49ers contract status
Signed through 2011
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson
LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith
OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams
I want all of these players back
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Sign Tremaine Brock
Originally posted by Garcia:
Sign Tremaine Brock

I wouldn't mind him back I guess...Can't have too many young "promising" CBs.

What does EFA mean anyway? "Exclusive Rights Free Agent"? What does that mean?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I wouldn't mind him back I guess...Can't have too many young "promising" CBs.

What does EFA mean anyway? "Exclusive Rights Free Agent"? What does that mean?
I'm guessing the poster meant ERFA which means Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

http://www.theredzone.org/FreeAgency/NFLFreeAgencyTerms.aspx
AB how much money we go left?
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

Originally posted by WildBill:
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

i would bump Alex to Group A and Ginn to Group B.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

And Brooks to B
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

And Brooks to B

Brooks is a must-sign. He's been a stud, and we have zero depth at OLB. Even if Aldon starts and Parys moves over to replace Brooks, we have no one behind them, and as much as I like Parys that would be a major downgrade. Aldon-Brooks as starting OLB with Parys as a situational/depth guy is fearsome.

Goldson is more borderline "Group A" guy, IMO. I really like him but of those guys, he's the one I'm most ok with losing. He's the guy, however, that I think we should franchise if we can't get a deal done quickly.
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

And Brooks to B

Brooks is a must-sign. He's been a stud, and we have zero depth at OLB. Even if Aldon starts and Parys moves over to replace Brooks, we have no one behind them, and as much as I like Parys that would be a major downgrade. Aldon-Brooks as starting OLB with Parys as a situational/depth guy is fearsome.

Goldson is more borderline "Group A" guy, IMO. I really like him but of those guys, he's the one I'm most ok with losing. He's the guy, however, that I think we should franchise if we can't get a deal done quickly.

Brooks has definitely been good, but I think Alex, Rogers, and Goldson are more important. Also wouldn't be surprised if we drafted another OLB next year.

Hopefully we'll re-sign close to all of these guys.
[ Edited by cwilson830 on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM ]
Group A
Carlos Rodgers
Dashon Goldson
Ahmad Brooks

Group B
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan

Group C
Ted Ginn
Reggie Smith
Larry Grant

And Brooks to B

Brooks has definitely been good, but I think Alex, Rodgers, and Goldson are more important. Also wouldn't be surprised if we drafted another OLB next year.

Hopefully we'll re-sign close to all of these guys.

agreed. I also think we should draft another OLB at some point, but keeping Brooks makes it less of a need. Either him or Goldson should be franchised. For some reason, I just think we'll be able to get something done with Brooks, but not with Goldson, so we should franchise him, since his # will be much less than those other guys.

If we have to replace too many parts on this defense, its going to suck. Keeping these guys together and bringing in more young talent and depth will help us maintain an incredible defense in the short-term and long-term, which would be awesome.
Share 49ersWebzone