LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Shawntae Spencer...whats his potential?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Shawntae Spencer...whats his potential?

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Shawntae has been overtaken by T.Brown on the depth chart. Could he be the surprise cut due to injury?

i would be very surprised. we don't have enough CB depth to cut a good player with experience. I think he'll have to earn his way into the starting lineup, but I have a feeling he will a couple of weeks into the season.

I have Harbaugh takes the same approach with Crabtree.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Our standards in the secondary have really went downhill since the late 90's. Defensive backs that we are over joyed to have now would have landed on the practice squad during the glory years. What I wouldn't give to get in a time machine and go back 25 years and see Hicks, Lott, Williamson, and Wright in the secondary one more time. Also I would like the current team to show some life so I will stop watching the good ole days on the internet, and thinking those days are never coming back.
Originally posted by BobS:
Our standards in the secondary have really went downhill since the late 90's. Defensive backs that we are over joyed to have now would have landed on the practice squad during the glory years. What I wouldn't give to get in a time machine and go back 25 years and see Hicks, Lott, Williamson, and Wright in the secondary one more time. Also I would like the current team to show some life so I will stop watching the good ole days on the internet, and thinking those days are never coming back.

good lord.
He could potentially practice this week. Ha!

Seriously, he's a solid number 2. Does better against the bigger guys, has a tougher time with the smaller speedsters.

Swim, thanks for posting that vid. Almost forgot about that hit.
If he's all healed up than I think he can be a solid #2 for us....But if he gets hurt and pulls that BS like he did last year than I think he gets cut next year....especially when we are going after a top CB in the draft next year....
He's only good every other year in between injuries. It's a shame. He's a very good CB. Could have been a top 10 CB in the league with consistency without the injuries.
2 more solid years and he is gone. His love for the game has gone south.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
2 more solid years and he is gone. His love for the game has gone south.

maybe we can sneak it back up here on the Underground Love-for-the-Game Railroad
I think if he is 100% healthy he is a solid starter. If he is nicked up in any way--which he often is--he is mediocre.
agree solid starter and we need him to be a solid # 2

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Shawntae has been overtaken by T.Brown on the depth chart. Could he be the surprise cut due to injury?

i would be very surprised. we don't have enough CB depth to cut a good player with experience. I think he'll have to earn his way into the starting lineup, but I have a feeling he will a couple of weeks into the season.

I have Harbaugh takes the same approach with Crabtree.

But the player who interests me the most is veteran cornerback Shawntae Spencer.
The 49ers' coaching staff wasn't exactly blown away by the film they watched of him from last year. And with a salary cap value of $3.2 million, Spencer spot on the 49ers' 53-man roster is not a slam dunk.
Spencer has not made it through a full padded practice this entire training camp, and the coaching staff's patience has been tested. Of course, Spencer's lingering hamstring strain has frustrated him, too. I expect Spencer to be included on the roster because of his experience, but my confidence level with that prediction is not high.
Read more: 49ers Mailbag: Spencer's spot is not slam dunk
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/01/11/49ers-Mailbag-Spencers-spot-is-not-slam-/landing.html?full_args=09/01/11/49ers-Mailbag-Spencers-spot-is-not-slam-/landing&blockID=557686&feedID=5936
Originally posted by JD9671:
agree solid starter and we need him to be a solid # 2

Solid starter but what if one of our youngers guys turns out to be an above average starter. From what Spencer has shown in his career...it can be easily replaced.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He's only good every other year in between injuries. It's a shame. He's a very good CB. Could have been a top 10 CB in the league with consistency without the injuries.

This ......
Originally posted by andes14:
Hopefully he returns to '09 form, where he should have made the pro-bowl over Rodgers-Cromartie IMO.

I cannot see Brock starting opposite Rogers. I hoping Spencer (or Brown) wins the job.
Share 49ersWebzone