LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 351 users in the forums

Reggie Smith ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
So is he hurt or just his feelings are hurt ?

I hope it is just feelings.

Smith should not just give up so easily. Goldson is nothing special. Step up your game and take the starting spot. Just don't expect to have it handed to you.
What kind of tweet was that? He should have posted nothing if he wasn't going to tell us anything.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
i thought this interchangebale safety stuff was manuskys scheme? thought that was changing under fnagio? i could be wrong but thats the impression i was under

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Coachs-Notebook-Aug-6/8b59fe4f-592d-45e5-b212-410455aa41d1

Quote:
On whether he feels true free safeties and true strong safeties are less interchangeable:
“It can be that they’re interchangeable – the free safety and the safety position, there’s really no difference depending on the guys you got. I think that’s the way it’s developing with the safeties we have on our roster right now, that they can be those kind of safeties and that they can be interchangeable. They can play the deep half of the field, play the deep middle, also physical enough to come up and play in the box.”

thanks for that, still think whitner and goldson out there @ same time = trouble

I get the feeling we will be using multiple packages. Whitner(SS) & Goldson(FS) when Fangio feels the run, with Smith taking over for Goldson if Fangio is feeling a pass. Possibly even Goldson & Smith on 3rd and very long, if Goldson proves to better at coverage than Whitner. Each package is gonna cater to the strengths of the personnel and the situation, this isnt the Manusky mirror base D.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
So is he hurt or just his feelings are hurt ?

I hope it is just feelings.

Smith should not just give up so easily. Goldson is nothing special. Step up your game and take the starting spot. Just don't expect to have it handed to you.

I hope he's not upset simply because he has more competition for the job. If you want the job go take the job Reggie!!!
I love the moves, I love harbaugh and i love that my niners are back!!!!!!
Originally posted by 5280High:
i thought this interchangebale safety stuff was manuskys scheme? thought that was changing under fnagio? i could be wrong but thats the impression i was under

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Coachs-Notebook-Aug-6/8b59fe4f-592d-45e5-b212-410455aa41d1

Quote:
On whether he feels true free safeties and true strong safeties are less interchangeable:
“It can be that they’re interchangeable – the free safety and the safety position, there’s really no difference depending on the guys you got. I think that’s the way it’s developing with the safeties we have on our roster right now, that they can be those kind of safeties and that they can be interchangeable. They can play the deep half of the field, play the deep middle, also physical enough to come up and play in the box.”

thanks for that, still think whitner and goldson out there @ same time = trouble

I get the feeling we will be using multiple packages. Whitner(SS) & Goldson(FS) when Fangio feels the run, with Smith taking over for Goldson if Fangio is feeling a pass. Possibly even Goldson & Smith on 3rd and very long, if Goldson proves to better at coverage than Whitner. Each package is gonna cater to the strengths of the personnel and the situation, this isnt the Manusky mirror base D.

that would be cool, maybe since goldson is (maybe better) at the run.. you have whitner/goldson on run downs.. smith/whitner on passing downs.
I think his injury might be more serious than they are saying, which is what I think his tweet is referencing.

i think Reggie is a better overall player than Goldson, and from all reports he's been playing very well in TC so far.
  • dj43

Quote:

In today's pass friendly NFL, both safeties need to have good cover skills. The days of a SS that was mainly there for run defense are over. Fangio sounds like a guy with a good view of the present, and the future.
From the CSN article, it sounds like he tweaked a hamstring...this is a nagging injury that may have propelled them to sign Goldson...
So does this mean we stop talk about trading Mays?

Originally posted by 80849er4life:

why would we? nothing has changed Mays value to the team. Unless he really makes a statement, he is still completely expendable.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

why would we? nothing has changed Mays value to the team. Unless he really makes a statement, he is still completely expendable.

Depth?

Depth?

He is way down the depth chart, third string before we resigned Goldson. He is a long term project, maybe he can eventually learn how to be more than a camp body. He is pretty cheap. so money should not play into it.
Don't think it had anything to do with the Goldson signing. Reggie doesn't seem like the type of guy that would post something stupid like that and he tweets with Goldson often so that would lead me to believe they are cool with each other. Plus he sent that out before it was reported Goldson signed. He may of knew something before but meh.

Depth?

we have like 12 safeties on the roster. our extreme depth at safety is actually an issue that needs resolution. Mays can earn a spot if he's a ST star, but other guys, like Colin Jones, could be valuable ST players who can also actually play safety. I think unless Mays proves that he is clearly better at his actual position than some of the other guys, he is gone.
Share 49ersWebzone