There are 209 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

You guys hear what Deion said about the 9ers defensive backfield?

Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Deion should get a Comedy Central Special after saying that. Better than '84? Good one Deion.

84 was awesome but playing against Deion was like missing a whole side of the field. i think hes right. merton was a sav, mcdonald hit like a ton of bricks and eric davis was pretty good too, probably looked better than he was because Deion erased the other teams number one receiver all by himself so the safeties could help him out more. either way, its nice to have this discussion about two of our teams lol

Good point. But that '84 team had no weaknesses. Every db knew his assignment and everyone elses too. It maybe splitting hairs, but to me, that '84 teams db's were the benchmark for all Niners teams with the '94 team second to them.
1994 was one of the greatest years and a lot of thanks goes to all our players and Eddie D. for making it a dream season. Deion was the last piece and crown jewel of the defense. Deion, Davis, Hanks, McDonald formed one of the greatest single year secondaries ever. It was a thing of beauty.

Deion and the other Free Agents brought an aura of confidence we had not experienced on defense since the Ronnie Lott era. Every time an opposing quarterback threw at his #1 receiver, covered by Deion, he had to be legitimately concerned that he would not only be giving up an interception but also a 49er touchdown. Congratulations to him and thanks for a Super year in 1994. Golden moment in Niner history.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,329
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
The '84 backfield was was just as good if not better. Lott, Wright, Williamson, Hicks

3 of those guys were drafted in the same year.
Originally posted by 49erDynasty:
1994 was one of the greatest years and a lot of thanks goes to all our players and Eddie D. for making it a dream season. Deion was the last piece and crown jewel of the defense. Deion, Davis, Hanks, McDonald formed one of the greatest single year secondaries ever. It was a thing of beauty.

Deion and the other Free Agents brought an aura of confidence we had not experienced on defense since the Ronnie Lott era. Every time an opposing quarterback threw at his #1 receiver, covered by Deion, he had to be legitimately concerned that he would not only be giving up an interception but also a 49er touchdown. Congratulations to him and thanks for a Super year in 1994. Golden moment in Niner history.


I'll always remember in the 94 NFC title game when Deion stuck to Alvin Harper man to man and Davis, Hanks and McDonald all ganged up on Michael Irvin ...BRILLIANT move by Seifert
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
cant comment on the'84 team seeing as how i wasn't born yet...so my vote goes for the '94 team's secondary

well, i was fortunate to watch both eras and as much of an old school dude that i am...my heart belongs to the 84 team but reality is that the 94 team was just stacked! that secondary was dominant!!!

I have to say ditto...
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
cant comment on the'84 team seeing as how i wasn't born yet...so my vote goes for the '94 team's secondary

well, i was fortunate to watch both eras and as much of an old school dude that i am...my heart belongs to the 84 team but reality is that the 94 team was just stacked! that secondary was dominant!!!

I have to say ditto...
Same here, I would take either of those defensive backfields in an instant.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,772
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by adacosta24:
i miss the chicken neck dance

Easily one of the top ten celebrations in the history of the NFL

i heard shaq tried to imitate it back then and hurt his neck, lol.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by adacosta24:
i miss the chicken neck dance

Easily one of the top ten celebrations in the history of the NFL

i heard shaq tried to imitate it back then and hurt his neck, lol.

Hands down the reason why I watched the Niners a s a kid......he really single handedly made me a 49er Fan.....thanks for all the memories Merton.....
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Chicken dance after Merton recovered a fumble for a td at Cowboys stadium after Deion left to Dallas = CHILLS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_H8B8E5tQ

Here you go Tony