LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 453 users in the forums

One fan's observation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Me Likey! Very good read! Please more of it asap.
If there was a poster of the week, I would recommend you bro!

Good thread, good read.
Best NinerTalk thread in quite a while. Thank you for the insightful commentary.
Awesome post!
  • dj43
The one very obvious observation that should be clear about this TC, and is brought out in this thread, is that we actually have a HC now that has a clear idea of what an offense should look like and how to develop it. The influence of Bill Walsh is clear in both the way the TC is being run as well as the style of plays being installed.

As a result, my prediction is that we will see better play from just about everybody on offense than we have seen in the past.
Originally posted by dj43:
The one very obvious observation that should be clear about this TC, and is brought out in this thread, is that we actually have a HC now that has a clear idea of what an offense should look like and how to develop it. The influence of Bill Walsh is clear in both the way the TC is being run as well as the style of plays being installed.

As a result, my prediction is that we will see better play from just about everybody on offense than we have seen in the past.

a carpenter can have all the tools in the world, but if he doesnt know how to use them he cant build a house.

basicall every coach we have had since mooch.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:

a carpenter can have all the tools in the world, but if he doesnt know how to use them he cant build a house.

Good analogy.

A good example of how messed up things have become, at the present time any kind of a check down by the QB is looked at as being a bad thing. However, Bill Walsh used check downs brilliantly to set up other passing plays for open up the running game. The last 8 years have seen checkdowns on the outside of the field where they have much lesser chance for success.
Awesome post, and I agree with you on Masoli (both the good and the bad).
Seems like d uring the lockout all harball did was watch the old walsh stuff, maybe he found some things to add to his coaching collection... or maybe all teh stuff he is doing now he had already been doing?

Good analogy.

A good example of how messed up things have become, at the present time any kind of a check down by the QB is looked at as being a bad thing. However, Bill Walsh used check downs brilliantly to set up other passing plays for open up the running game. The last 8 years have seen checkdowns on the outside of the field where they have much lesser chance for success.

Good point about the check downs. In the fan training camp video I noticed that Smith checked down twice to Gore. The big difference this year is that Gore was past the line of scrimage in the middle of the field and was able to get possitive yardage.

Originally posted by Loco49er:

Good analogy.

Good point about the check downs. In the fan training camp video I noticed that Smith checked down twice to Gore. The big difference this year is that Gore was past the line of scrimage in the middle of the field and was able to get possitive yardage.

a lot of these so called checked downs are not check downs at all. they are designed plays to run off the coverage and open things up underneath for gore/hunter. the qb goes through the drop and scans the field as if looking for an open reciever. this is all just deception, the ball is going to gore on the "checkdown" the whole time.

Good analogy.

a lot of these so called checked downs are not check downs at all. they are designed plays to run off the coverage and open things up underneath for gore/hunter. the qb goes through the drop and scans the field as if looking for an open reciever. this is all just deception, the ball is going to gore on the "checkdown" the whole time.

I do the same thing on madden with alex smith... And only go deep if someone is wide open..

Its way easier to move the chains ( yes I know its madden but still, short high percentage over the troy smith hail maryness)
  • dj43

Good analogy.

Walsh used checkdowns when LBs were dropping deep for short gains and/or to pull them forward to open up the slant lanes for the WRs for even bigger gains.

He also used checkdowns to slow down the pass rush as well as give the OL a chance to cut DL which took away some of their aggressiveness.

Checkdowns are an easy throw for the QB, especially when he is getting a lot of pressure.

Walsh only ran them outside infrequently.

Checkdowns are a very useful part of any offense but Walsh made them an art form. Harbaugh sounds like he has incorporated a good bit of that into the offense.
This guy should get instant vet status. Wow. This is what NT should be.

Nice job sir.

Good analogy.

Walsh used checkdowns when LBs were dropping deep for short gains and/or to pull them forward to open up the slant lanes for the WRs for even bigger gains.

He also used checkdowns to slow down the pass rush as well as give the OL a chance to cut DL which took away some of their aggressiveness.

Checkdowns are an easy throw for the QB, especially when he is getting a lot of pressure.

Walsh only ran them outside infrequently.

Checkdowns are a very useful part of any offense but Walsh made them an art form. Harbaugh sounds like he has incorporated a good bit of that into the offense.

I agree...I think Steve Young said once that even if a play was designed for 10-12 yards, but the coverage didn't allow for that, a checkdown that gave the offense 3-4 yards was useful because:

a) the offense was still moving the ball
b) it sent a message to the opposition's defense that no matter what they tried, the offense was still going to march down the field.

In a weird way, I guess the WCO checkdowns sapped the other team's morale since they could be difficult to stop.
Share 49ersWebzone