Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
great stuff, seriously, really good job bro...

just one thing though, bowman is and will be p52s backup. he doesnt have the bulk to crash the line and free up blockers like spikes did. Grant may very well be the starter this year with his size. that is all, keep up the great work.

where on earth do you get that idea?

its not an idea, its fact. bowman isnt built to play the ted. he is more of a mike like willis. it isnt hard to see if you know what to look for.

we'll see where he lines up this year. I imagine he will line up at the TED, where he has always lined up and where he was "destined" to line up, given every report ever written about him and his role on the team--but I guess you need to know where to look for that kind of information.

challenge accepted....

here is an accurate write up on bowman...

Bowman is an average sized linebacker with good athleticism. He has had some durability problems in the past and this may be a concern at the next level. Bowman is a tough, competitive player that has good range inside out to the ball. He is most effective when covered up utilizing his speed and quickness to get to the pile. Bowman doesn’t separate well from larger blockers and gets smothered too often. He is quick to react and shows natural instincts as plays unfold. Bowman is a solid coverage defender and reads route progressions well. Bowman is a good football player that is limited due to lack of size and with some off the field issues as well as durability concerns, his draft status is likely to fall. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/navorro-bowman?id=496901

The TED is clearing the way to the QB, and he is doing this in the toughest environment of all; the center of the trench. He not only faces the centers and guards, but the FB and maybe a RB. If the DL can clear a path to the backfield of the offense, it is not unreasonable to assume that the TED may have to shoulder aside an OL being tied up on the line, plus block another offensive pass blocker. It is a very physical position.

It is one thing to go after the QB (like the MIKE). It is quite another thing to possess the situational awareness to keep many things in one's head at the same time. Where is the QB, where is the MIKE I'm blocking for, where are the pass blockers, and in which direction are they all moving? Factor in that these mental gymnastics area at game speed, under stress, and with little oxygen to go on.

The TED can (of course) be used in several roles within the same system, but blocking to the QB is the role your TED would most be graded on. The role also adjusts based on the type of offensive system you are playing against, as well as match-ups in terms of players. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/13/508528/so-what-exactly-is-the-tedb

Bowman is a mike lb an it is evident by the fact we brought in joseph, grant, and we still have mckillop and all are teds. Bowman does not fit the ted roll at all and it actually plays to his weaknesses to play him at ted. more evidence of our incompetent coaching staff of yester years.

irrelevant. how has he been used by the 49ers? he's been penciled in as the starter at TED ever since being drafted. It's possible that he loses the starting job in TC--anything is possible, I suppose--but despite the fact that he is not a prototypical TED LB (a point that you are making that I acknowledge) he is the heir at the TED position for the San Francisco 49ers.

They didn't take him in the 3rd round to be Willis' backup.

I'm in no way arguing that he is a great fit or will be successful there--I don't know, because I don't know how Fangio's defense will use him. But arguing that he is nothing more than Willis' backup is absurd and ignores everything we've seen and heard about him since he was drafted.

the penciled in starter at ted has been spikes not bowman. perhaps you should pay a lil more attention to your team because bowman has been a ghost with the 1st team defense at ted in tc this year.

and why is that? because he is a mike lb! obviously you dont understand the role of the ted lb. its basically a full back lead blocking for the mike. that is definately not bowmans game.

you do know that Takeo Spikes is a San Diego Charger, right?

and the reason you haven't heard much about Bowman on the 1st team defense is because he's been watching practices from the sideline with an injury.

but you follow your team so closely that already knew that...right?

Bowman is an average sized linebacker with good athleticism. He has had some durability problems in the past and this may be a concern at the next level. Bowman is a tough, competitive player that has good range inside out to the ball. He is most effective when covered up utilizing his speed and quickness to get to the pile. Bowman doesn’t separate well from larger blockers and gets smothered too often. He is quick to react and shows natural instincts as plays unfold. Bowman is a solid coverage defender and reads route progressions well. Bowman is a good football player that is limited due to lack of size and with some off the field issues as well as durability concerns, his draft status is likely to fall. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/navorro-bowman?id=496901

The TED is clearing the way to the QB, and he is doing this in the toughest environment of all; the center of the trench. He not only faces the centers and guards, but the FB and maybe a RB. If the DL can clear a path to the backfield of the offense, it is not unreasonable to assume that the TED may have to shoulder aside an OL being tied up on the line, plus block another offensive pass blocker. It is a very physical position.

It is one thing to go after the QB (like the MIKE). It is quite another thing to possess the situational awareness to keep many things in one's head at the same time. Where is the QB, where is the MIKE I'm blocking for, where are the pass blockers, and in which direction are they all moving? Factor in that these mental gymnastics area at game speed, under stress, and with little oxygen to go on.

The TED can (of course) be used in several roles within the same system, but blocking to the QB is the role your TED would most be graded on. The role also adjusts based on the type of offensive system you are playing against, as well as match-ups in terms of players. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/13/508528/so-what-exactly-is-the-tedb

Bowman is a mike lb an it is evident by the fact we brought in joseph, grant, and we still have mckillop and all are teds. Bowman does not fit the ted roll at all and it actually plays to his weaknesses to play him at ted. more evidence of our incompetent coaching staff of yester years.

My sense is that Bowman would also do well at the SAM position, especially in Fangio's defense. He's very fast, good in coverage, and could be part of many blitz packages, where his role on any given play could be well-disguised. He's a versatile athlete, but the intention to play him at TED was wrongheaded from the start. I'd like to see Leavitt and Fangio try him outside and see what potential he has playing there, and leave more limited thumpers like Grant inside.
great stuff, seriously, really good job bro...

just one thing though, bowman is and will be p52s backup. he doesnt have the bulk to crash the line and free up blockers like spikes did. Grant may very well be the starter this year with his size. that is all, keep up the great work.

where on earth do you get that idea?

its not an idea, its fact. bowman isnt built to play the ted. he is more of a mike like willis. it isnt hard to see if you know what to look for.

we'll see where he lines up this year. I imagine he will line up at the TED, where he has always lined up and where he was "destined" to line up, given every report ever written about him and his role on the team--but I guess you need to know where to look for that kind of information.

challenge accepted....

irrelevant. how has he been used by the 49ers? he's been penciled in as the starter at TED ever since being drafted. It's possible that he loses the starting job in TC--anything is possible, I suppose--but despite the fact that he is not a prototypical TED LB (a point that you are making that I acknowledge) he is the heir at the TED position for the San Francisco 49ers.

They didn't take him in the 3rd round to be Willis' backup.

I'm in no way arguing that he is a great fit or will be successful there--I don't know, because I don't know how Fangio's defense will use him. But arguing that he is nothing more than Willis' backup is absurd and ignores everything we've seen and heard about him since he was drafted.

the penciled in starter at ted has been spikes not bowman. perhaps you should pay a lil more attention to your team because bowman has been a ghost with the 1st team defense at ted in tc this year.

and why is that? because he is a mike lb! obviously you dont understand the role of the ted lb. its basically a full back lead blocking for the mike. that is definately not bowmans game.

you do know that Takeo Spikes is a San Diego Charger, right?

and the reason you haven't heard much about Bowman on the 1st team defense is because he's been watching practices from the sideline with an injury.

news to me, seems he has been running with the 2nd and third teams just fine from what i have read.

news to me, seems he has been running with the 2nd and third teams just fine from what i have read.

I don't remember the injury and I can't recall exactly how long he's been out, but a quick glance at Maiocco's camp reports says that he's missed the last two practices and is listed as a starting ILB. Not sure what you're reading.

also, when I said "penciled in" I meant "as the future starter." Obviously when he was drafted Spikes was the starter. I assumed we weren't both completely daft and that didn't need to be said. He's also "penciled in" as the current starter, meaning that things can change but that its his job to lose.

I don't remember the injury and I can't recall exactly how long he's been out, but a quick glance at Maiocco's camp reports says that he's missed the last two practices and is listed as a starting ILB. Not sure what you're reading.

also, when I said "penciled in" I meant "as the future starter." Obviously when he was drafted Spikes was the starter. I assumed we weren't both completely daft and that didn't need to be said. He's also "penciled in" as the current starter, meaning that things can change but that its his job to lose.

not sure what you are reading either but everything i have read indicates nobody is a starter yet with the exception of willis, j.smith and a select few.

im going to add you as a friend if you will accept and we can pick up this convo in 3 weeks to a month. what do you say?

not sure what you are reading either but everything i have read indicates nobody is a starter yet with the exception of willis, j.smith and a select few.

im going to add you as a friend if you will accept and we can pick up this convo in 3 weeks to a month. what do you say?

sure thing. i think every position is up for grabs, except for, as you said, a select few. I hope Bowman wins the job because, while he's not a prototype for the position, I think he will add great range and speed and aggressiveness to the D. If he gets it, obviously I hope he earns it and I hope Fangio uses him wisely.

whatever happens i still think the idea all along with Bowman has been that he will play alongside Willis, not behind him.
according to kevin lynch on knbr the other day, willis and spikes switched positions last year due to willis getting double teamed. so spikes wasn't necessarily crashing into the line and eating up blockers. bowman can do that.

sure thing. i think every position is up for grabs, except for, as you said, a select few. I hope Bowman wins the job because, while he's not a prototype for the position, I think he will add great range and speed and aggressiveness to the D. If he gets it, obviously I hope he earns it and I hope Fangio uses him wisely.

whatever happens i still think the idea all along with Bowman has been that he will play alongside Willis, not behind him.

i think bowman will get hte job he is fast and strong he just needs to work on fundementals and best cure for that is more reps

i think all our D starting line up is set except for LOLB

DE justin smith
NT Soap
DE ray mac

OLB aldon smith

TED either grant or bowman but mosot likely bowman
Mike: willis
OLB - up for grabs

CB carlos rogers
CB shawnte spencer
CB terrel brown

FS reggie smith

SS donte whitner

way i see it only 2 position are up for grabs but ted is like 80% locked up to bowman the LOLB however can go to either haralson brooks or the guy we got from chargers
That looks right to me, 49ersalldaway126. I would expect Brooks to be the other primary OLB, but it depends on his recovery.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
That looks right to me, 49ersalldaway126. I would expect Brooks to be the other primary OLB, but it depends on his recovery.

Yup. We don't know whether Brooks can be an every down backer yet though. Either way, he is effective in the rotation and could possibly break out this year.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yup. We don't know whether Brooks can be an every down backer yet though. Either way, he is effective in the rotation and could possibly break out this year.

Agree. So ready to watch them play!
I saw a picture of Patrick Willis with his hands on his hips.

Time to cut the bum.
Great Post about the training camp information. Keep it coming.

Sounds like the team is having a lot of fun with Harbaugh vs. Mike Dingleberry. I like the fact that he is running a game like atmosphere and going live at times to keep the team on their toes.

Faster he can start doing game simulations the better.
Originally posted by aman49:
I saw a picture of Patrick Willis with his hands on his hips.

Time to cut the bum.

yeah, he's really been underperforming. maybe we can get like a 5th or 6th rounder for him?
Great post, thanks
Share 49ersWebzone