There are 246 users in the forums

One fan's observation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by fly15:
thanks...! just one question.

How do you know Kap is not mentally ready?? just curious

He's still playing at college speed at times. Alex Smith had the same issues as a rookie (and into his later years as well). Hesitance on choosing a receiver, staring receivers down, and relying on his ability to run when he can't outrun NFL caliber players as much as he could against college players.

That being said, I don't consider it a knock against him. No rookie quarterback, in any ideal situation, should start during their rookie year. Sam Bradford performed horribly by NFL standards, and that was considered a GOOD year for a rookie. Matt Ryan was kind of an outlier, and he wasn't even that statistically impressive. Even Peyton Manning, who is a certfiable God of quarterbacks, threw 28 interceptions his rookie year. I think Kap has the skills to be QB of the future. Let's give him a fair chance and sit on the bench for a while.

spot on again, i have to say that some fans of the zone feel that he should be considered to really start now. I remember yesterday in the old thread Norcal9er said witout bias in regards to Smith and Kap, however, the bias is exactly what it was to see Kap sooner than later, regardless of what 99% of all beat writers/reporters were reporting that he's not ready to start just yet.

I think Kap can really be something special, only time will tell. And the biggest knock on Kap is that he's indecisive and hesitant in the pocket, and he also rolls out a lot to try and throw off the defender. Now by no way is this a knock on him, because like another Zoner said all those things can be fixed in time. We have to keep in mind he is just a rookie. Even he has stated that he has to do a better job of reading defenses and working through his progressions because a lot of the stuff he got away with in college, wont work in the NFL.

And I've heard from most reporters talking about him that his current issue is that he doesnt look too comfortable standing in the pocket just yet. But as far as the intangibles, arm strength, accuracy, etc, he's by far the better QB. I say just imagine him adding the pocket presence to his craft, and we might really have someone that teams better really watch out for in the future.

One more knock on Kap that I have heard frequently is that he is so long-limbed, his throwing motion is rather slow, especially on mid-range to long passes.

As all Zoners know, an NFL QB has to be able to get rid of the ball quickly so it may take some time to tweak Kap's throwing mechanics. Just saying.

Obviously, this guy has great physical attributes. He is also passionate about the game, works his butt off, says all the right things, and seemingly, knows what he has to work on. Plus, he has a great mentor in Harbaugh showing him the way. His future looks very bright.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

One more knock on Kap that I have heard frequently is that he is so long-limbed, his throwing motion is rather slow, especially on mid-range to long passes.

This has been mentioned on several threads but the computerized testing program all the QBs went through before the draft (can't remember what it was called) indicated that CK's release is so fast that he actually takes less time to throw than most, if not all, the other top QBs in the draft.

Could someone explain why this is not valid and why everyone keeps saying he needs to work on his mechanics? Especially as Harbaugh has repeatedly said he won't change CKs throwing motion.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
great stuff, seriously, really good job bro...

just one thing though, bowman is and will be p52s backup. he doesnt have the bulk to crash the line and free up blockers like spikes did. Grant may very well be the starter this year with his size. that is all, keep up the great work.

where on earth do you get that idea?

its not an idea, its fact. bowman isnt built to play the ted. he is more of a mike like willis. it isnt hard to see if you know what to look for.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

This has been mentioned on several threads but the computerized testing program all the QBs went through before the draft (can't remember what it was called) indicated that CK's release is so fast that he actually takes less time to throw than most, if not all, the other top QBs in the draft.

Could someone explain why this is not valid and why everyone keeps saying he needs to work on his mechanics? Especially as Harbaugh has repeatedly said he won't change CKs throwing motion.

there are more mechanics to a qb then just his throwing motion. simple things like taking a snap and sound footwork are also part of a qb`s mechanics.

I'm glad to hear this because trying to change a QBs throwing motion can be really difficult.

there are more mechanics to a qb then just his throwing motion. simple things like taking a snap and sound footwork are also part of a qb`s mechanics.

True. Plus, because of CK's long wingspan, there is a wider range from which a rusher can negatively affect the QB and pass (stripping the ball or having an OL blocked into) before it leaves his hand.

Yes, I was referring only to his throwing motion. Harbaugh did talk about improving footwork, etc. But, the criticism has been of a hitch in his delivery, which turned out not to be a factor on the computerized analysis because his release is very, very quick.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

True. Plus, because of CK's long wingspan, there is a wider range from which a rusher can negatively affect the QB and pass (stripping the ball or having an OL blocked into) before it leaves his hand.

Hadn't thought of the wingspan being problematic. The computerized analysis measured from a set position I think. QBs would hold the ball in front of them and then step back, pulling the ball back (where the hitch is) and then releasing as soon as they recognized the window being opened.

So, that would not take into account wingspan...but won't his height advantage reduce some of the negative? I'm not concerned as don't think he will play much this year but he really seems to have talent. Love his attitude and intelligence.

Yes, I was referring only to his throwing motion. Harbaugh did talk about improving footwork, etc. But, the criticism has been of a hitch in his delivery, which turned out not to be a factor on the computerized analysis because his release is very, very quick.

i agree with you, but generally speaking kap does need to work on his mechanics. Harbaugh was even quoted as saying "how you throw a ball is how you have thrown the ball since you were a kid and not everyone throws the same." it wasnt a big deal to harbaugh at all. but some of these people dont have the proper info so they just recycle what they have heard about other qbs with akward deliveries.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
More about the defense. I've noticed that Parys Haralson is a rather polarizing figure on this board. Last season, he was criticized for not finishing tackles (a fair criticism at times) and not being starter material.

I kind of see him as the Josh Morgan of our defense. He's not going to make too many mistakes, but he's not too flashy on the field either. The nature of his position, though, means that the mistakes he makes have graver consequences. That being said, I can see why he started last year. First off, it's hard to just bench a guy who led the NFC West in sacks in 2008. He's a very hard worker who has arguably outperformed his draft position (Round 5 in 2006). Also, his age makes him a veteran by now, and a pretty smart one. I will say he's a camp warrior. He performs every drill very well. His fundamental technique is great, especially considering he was a converted DE to OLB. Should he start? Hard to say. I really see Aldon Smith starting on one side to rush the passer. You need a guy with good eyes on the other OLB side because he's going to be covering a little bit more, but that's in a traditional 3-4. I'm not sure what Fangio is going to do. Based off of today's play and Harbaugh's press conference, he seems to think of the SS and FS as interchangeable depending on your personnel. Maybe he'll have the same philosophy with his OLBs?

I wish Bowman was in there more with the first team. Larry Grant was often in there next to Willis, and I couldn't really see how well he did. But based off of Willis's play, he probably performed decently. Larry Grant is an interesting story - I hope to watch him more in the preseason. For those who don't know, he was a junior college standout from the City College of SF. He was drafted by the 49ers in 2008 and put on the practice squad and plucked by the Rams. He actually started for the Rams in 2010, but lost the spot later on. Now he's back in SF. Can't help but root for him. I do wish Bowman would get more snaps, but can't help health. One thing about the loss of Takeo Spikes is the resulting lack of ILB depth. You have McKillop and Bowman who are unquestionably going to be on the roster, and probably Kristick. If (knocks on wood) Patrick Willis goes down, I'm not sure who's going to fill his role? Bowman was bred to take on Spikes' position, and I think he can fill it quite well. Larry Grant, who hasn't made the team yet, would also backup that ILB position. But who backs up Willis? McKillop is a smart but undersized guy, and he might be the leading candidate...

Another polarizing figure: Moran Norris. I see Webzoners calling for him to be cut. I also see questions asking how FB is going to be utilized in this offense. I won't go into specifics, but he did catch a few passes out of the backfield. I don't know if this is because the plays were designed for him or if those reps were supposed to go to an early-injured Anthony Dixon. He did not take any handoffs from what I could see, although I left early. I couldn't see a lot of the redzone offense unfortunately - too far away. I saw a few fade/corner patterns that most of the QBs couldn't hit. In general, that's a tough route to throw, so it's understandable.

Brock looks like he'll be a very solid backup. As the beat writers pointed out, he jumped a route and intercepted a Smith pass. It was more than that though. It wasn't like he instantly recognized the route and got in front of it, he got there as the pass got to the receiver, collided with the receiver, then was able to make the interception. He's willing to be physical. It wasn't too badly thrown of a ball either. It wasn't in front of the receiver, which is where you ideally want to put it over the middle, but I wouldn't say it was behind the receiver either.

Edwards: again, a long strider. I don't know why he tried making so many one-handed catches. He dropped some, was overthrown on one particular one-handed attempt. Not sure if he's just trying to be fancy or what. But he's by far the biggest receiver in terms of height. He'll be a weapon. I don't think he looks as out of shape as the beat writers made him out to be, but I did notice he wasn't on the first team offense during many of the reps. He's still getting acclimated to the playbook, which plays a role as well.

I can't think of much else to write, plus it's late, but here are my final closing thoughts:

Who looks very promising: Kendall Hunter. A return threat and a running threat, he's fast and doesn't go down as easily as his height would indicate. I'm excited about this guy. I hope he gets at least 5-10 touches a game. On the defensive side of the ball, obviously Aldon Smith, but his coverage does need some refining. Otherwise, I like Donte Whitner. Plays fast, hits hard, he seems to get in on every play.

Finally, Jim Harbaugh and his entire coaching staff. It's a tight ship they run, and a very productive three hours. I love the emphasis on special teams, which was kind of a sore spot last year if you all recall.

Sounds and looks like a Bill Walsh style practice to me! Everything upbeat and high tempo and not trying to kill your players bodies with running up hills like my Marines charging an enemy machine gun nest! We don't need to kill our players with rediculous drills, just get them on the same page doing the same repititions!

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Hadn't thought of the wingspan being problematic. The computerized analysis measured from a set position I think. QBs would hold the ball in front of them and then step back, pulling the ball back (where the hitch is) and then releasing as soon as they recognized the window being opened.

So, that would not take into account wingspan...but won't his height advantage reduce some of the negative? I'm not concerned as don't think he will play much this year but he really seems to have talent. Love his attitude and intelligence.

The height will of course help him see over the LOS down field... could help with trajectory for less batted passes perhaps (depends on if and how our OL holds their ground too). Height won't do much to keep an outstretched arm out of his throwing radius... so he will need that quicker decision making and release all the more.
Very informative and sincere. I feel that many of our beat writers are cheering for individual players, including one who openly professed to be cheering for Mays. It is hard to be objective in these circumstances.

I felt your observations lacked any emotion or bias, which is excellent. Straight facts. Keep them coming.
Great work! Can't wait to read more of your posts!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Very informative and sincere. I feel that many of our beat writers are cheering for individual players, including one who openly professed to be cheering for Mays. It is hard to be objective in these circumstances.

I felt your observations lacked any emotion or bias, which is excellent. Straight facts. Keep them coming.

+ 1 ... yes, great job to the OP. I should have stated this first thing.
You sir = #Winning!

Thank you for the refreshingly unbiased insight.

Favorite part about this is the coaching. When you have a QB who has a tendency to check down (extremely conservative coaches dont help) then those check downs need to be a part of the offense rather than simply a last resort option. I never understood why our old OC's didnt recognize this, and simply told the RB's to go hang out in the flat, leaving them flat footed with no momentum.

Another WCO principle being applied, short passes as an extension of the run game. Get the ball in Gores hands 4 yards down the field right in front of the QB, rather than a pass 2 yards behind the LOS that requires the QB to turn his body for an accurate throw, and also tells the defense where the ball is headed.
Share 49ersWebzone