There are 227 users in the forums

One fan's observation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
12b6demurrer, dont know if your at training camp today, but if you were, i'll definitely be waiting on your observation.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I dont know understand why people hate the idea of "checking down." I'll take 8 yard check downs ALL day.

Unless it is 3rd down and you need 10 yards or more for a first down.

The perception or reality is that Alex Smith checked down like this way too often.

And a lot of his passes were not ones that hit receivers in stride or they could catch easily in order to make a football move and gain the additional yardage for the 1st down.

(Or depending on your point of view - blame it all on the receivers - lol.)

Peyton Manning was check down king last year. Smith actually had a pretty good yards per attempt last year, in the upper middle tier of QB's as a matter of fact. I guess the problem was when they occurred if everyone feels he was doing it too often.

I think it's a combination of Smith's lack of trust in making the deep throws along with his lack of trust in the over all game plan.

At the end of the day...no matter who/what you are...you're going to go with what works and what is most comfortable in terms of trust. If you don't trust "the system" then even if the guy "seems open" or whatever...you're not going to pull the trigger. I dont know if that makes sense but it's sort of like taking the same route to work every day. Someone may tell you a quicker way but the minute you have any issues trying that different way...or you just don't trust that route...you won't take it regardless if it's less miles, less lights, etc. Or think of a sales job...if you don't believe in the product it's MUCH HARDER to sell it.

Bottom line: I think coaching and INSTILLING trust in ALL the players will help go a LONG way. After all..Alex's problems aren't physical. We've seen him make all the throws and when he's on...he's good. It's when the game plan starts to crumble...then we don't adjust...and then you see Alex completely implode. Not saying that's a good quality but that's Alex. I think Alex believes in this system now, trusts in his coaches, and thus trusts himself to make whatever decision he wants. It when things get murky and ambiguous (or just poorly planned/schemed) is when Alex plays like total sht. It's not as simple as, "well he has to know exactly what's going on." That quote was misinterpreted IMO. I think it really means he has to KNOW and BELIEVE IN everything that's going on.

We'll see what happens.

Agree. I can't wait to see this offense about mid-season when they should start really getting a feel for things
man great post! great analysis thank for taking the time!!

go niners!!
I dont know understand why people hate the idea of "checking down." I'll take 8 yard check downs ALL day.

The perception or reality is that Alex Smith checked down like this way too often.

And a lot of his passes were not ones that hit receivers in stride or they could catch easily in order to make a football move and gain the additional yardage for the 1st down.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Most yards after catch per pass (per completion)

1. Jason Campbell (194 completions, 6.99 YAC)
2. Jon Kitna (209 completions, 6.94 YAC)
3. Alex Smith (204 completions, 6.3 YAC)

By Yahoo Sports!
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Also, teams give you those check-downs because they're thinking eventually you'll make a mistake. We kicked way to many field goals this way. Smith was to hesitant to throw the receivers open. I want the Smith at the end of the Eagles game zinging it into receivers.

At times I wonder if A. Smith was too much worried about Singletary's "game manager, no mistake" message. He appeared to play better when the leash was loosened - two-minute offense or desperate times. He made mistakes during those drives too, but at least he looked like he could play ball.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Most yards after catch per pass (per completion)

1. Jason Campbell (194 completions, 6.99 YAC)
2. Jon Kitna (209 completions, 6.94 YAC)
3. Alex Smith (204 completions, 6.3 YAC)

By Yahoo Sports!

Thats some good company right there
Great post man... Good to know what's crackin out there!

Thank you!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
That looks right to me, 49ersalldaway126. I would expect Brooks to be the other primary OLB, but it depends on his recovery.

What happened to Brooks? Man, I can't WAIT for the updates on competition at the OLB positions...actually, all four! We even have OLB's who can play inside (Brooks) and inside LB's who can play outside as well (Willis)...and Aldon can even play inside on the LOS. I can't wait to see what Fangio does with the four starters and his scheme/game planning! Finally, we "might" have a real 3-4 defense!
Originally posted by NCommand:
That looks right to me, 49ersalldaway126. I would expect Brooks to be the other primary OLB, but it depends on his recovery.

What happened to Brooks? Man, I can't WAIT for the updates on competition at the OLB positions...actually, all four! We even have OLB's who can play inside (Brooks) and inside LB's who can play outside as well (Willis)...and Aldon can even play inside on the LOS. I can't wait to see what Fangio does with the four starters and his scheme/game planning! Finally, we "might" have a real 3-4 defense!

Brooks came back and was immediately installed at the ROLB with Haralson/Aldon at LOLB.

Looks like they like what Brooks brings to table.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
12b6demurrer, dont know if your at training camp today, but if you were, i'll definitely be waiting on your observation.

Originally posted by Joecool:

Brooks came back and was immediately installed at the ROLB with Haralson/Aldon at LOLB.

Do you think Aldon will start game 1?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Yes Please!

I do too! LOL...I got the impression he was out or injured or missed some time so I was a little confused and we haven't seen too many observations on the OLB position battles thus far save for the Aldon updates (which is encouraging). I love this "clean slate" approach. Let these guys battle it out and may the best men win!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM ]
  • Veteran
I am several days late. Thanks for a great post.

I do too! LOL...I got the impression he was out or injured or missed some time so I was a little confused and we haven't seen too many observations on the OLB position battles thus far save for the Aldon updates (which is encouraging). I love this "clean slate" approach. Let these guys battle it out and may the best men win!

We should have resigned Manny.
Share 49ersWebzone