LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Welcome Braylon Edwards

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I understand people are frustrated with Edwards cause of his drops, but you guys gotta remember this is his first year with Smith and wasn't able to come to camp Smith either to get some kind of chemistry in with his QB. Lets also not forget hes been injured for a month and a half or so. I for one, would love to see Edwards re-signed and work with this offense in a full off-season. Braylon is a weapon no doubt, we just gotta give him a little more time to adjust.

Braylon can make some spectacular plays, but the other half of the time he messes up on some easy ones. Unless we are going to say we should throw the ball like in those pictures. It is not just here, Braylon has had a history coming out of college of big plays but a case of the drops.
As many of you noticed at home, Edwards didn't look like he was running at full speed. He had three drops - none of the passes was perfect, but all were catchable - in the first half, including one in the end zone. Edwards had surgery the week of Sept. 18 to correct a meniscus tear suffered in Week 2. Jim Harbaugh said Edwards simply hadn't returned to form.

"I don't think he's 100 percent, but there was improvement this week," Harbaugh said this week. "Toward the end of the week he was starting to feel pretty darn good. That decision toward the end of the third quarter was 'let's keep that progress coming.'"

Alex Smith targeted Edwards four times but the receiver had no receptions. Since returning from the injury on Oct. 30, Edwards has been targeted 20 times, with nine completions and 119 yards. He has not caught a touchdown pass this season.

Kyle Williams filled in for Edwards Sunday and played well. He finished with career highs in catches (five) and receiving yards (54). He was targeted five times, and he caught his second touchdown pass of the season. That leads all 49ers wideouts.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/11/braylon-edwards-isnt-100-percent-harbaugh-says.html#ixzz1eSl75Cxf
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you fellas want to throw Alex in with some of the QB's Braylon has had to work with?

lets up the standards here, huh.

Yah passes thrown by Derek Anderson and Mark Sanchez is something we really should be aspiring our starting QB to be.

that has absolutely nothing to do with it and you know it. Point is in case you missed it is yeah it was a high throw but it should have been caught. Braylon has been catching those types of passes his whole career. Blame it on the injury, chemistry, whatever but to blame it on Alex is retarded.

And before you say "hey I wasn't blaming Alex, I just said it was a high throw......." let's not kid ourselves you know you were.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
If he isn't 100%, don't play him....were doing fine w/o him. Plus we will need him in the playoffs so get others into the fold.
Originally posted by Nes49:
If he isn't 100%, don't play him....were doing fine w/o him. Plus we will need him in the playoffs so get others into the fold.

This
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you fellas want to throw Alex in with some of the QB's Braylon has had to work with?

lets up the standards here, huh.

Yah passes thrown by Derek Anderson and Mark Sanchez is something we really should be aspiring our starting QB to be.

that has absolutely nothing to do with it and you know it. Point is in case you missed it is yeah it was a high throw but it should have been caught. Braylon has been catching those types of passes his whole career. Blame it on the injury, chemistry, whatever but to blame it on Alex is retarded.

And before you say "hey I wasn't blaming Alex, I just said it was a high throw......." let's not kid ourselves you know you were.

Yes he was and he got owned on that one...
Not so sure this is fair due to his injury but I don't see him back next year. I mean he's not a difference maker for us on the field. Not a single TD all year? I need more from his position. We have no threats on the outside. Crabs is mediocre at best.
He's still injured, shouldn't be playing. He's running like a cripple.
He is not playing well but maybe the coaches feel that it is better than Ginn on the field?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
He is not playing well but maybe the coaches feel that it is better than Ginn on the field?

Don't tell Hondakillerz that

Braylon can catch, but can't run. Ginn can run, but can't catch. If only we could merge the two.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Don't tell Hondakillerz that

lol your funny. i never said ginn was the greatest receiver, i said this game was not his fault because of one drop. they both shouldnt be starting but unfortunately thats all we got and at this point ginn is the better receiver because braylon is either lazy or still hurt and his hands are the worst on the team. definitely miss morgan and we will definitely draft a receiver early or sign a legit receiver in FA
play Crabs and kyle williams with Ginn and let Edwards heal up--whatever is wrong with him. We have to find a way to get Walker involved also--he didn't catch anything--of course the O line gave Alex no time.
What I thought might be the case, according to Smith, Braylon was supposed to break inside, instead he went out.

Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards in costly mix-up
Edwards is definitely not right, whether it's his leg injury or something else. Kyle Williams had a good game last week, but the effort he put into catching that little swing pass last night wasn't that good. Ginn's hands are unreliable. Crabtree is definitely our best option at WR, but that's a position that needs to be seriously addressed during the offseason. Time to go do a little window shopping on Mel Kiper's page.
Share 49ersWebzone