LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
o m g w h o g i v e s a f l y i n g f u k c
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
remember how "great" we looked last pre season.. well that didnt transalate well to our season did it?
-lets not push the panic button just yet fellas

GO NINERS!
I know the Oline/TE/RB didn't completly hold up their end of the bargain, but I couldn't help but feel as if Smith looked like a deer in the headlights again. I saw no control, command or fire. It was just the same old dumb smirk he gets on his face when things aren't going well. Even when he did have a chance the guy missed his reciever. I thought he was studying the playbook all off-season? Isn't it partly a QBs job to recognize the defense and communicate to the O necessary changes in the blocking scheme? In all, I just felt like it was the same old Smith. If he has time and there are no suprises, he'll be ok. If things break down and the team as a whole is overwhelmed, he will fold like a lawn chair. That is the very definition of a back up. I've tried to be open minded about Smith, but I think everything we've seen the last 7 years is the real Smith.....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I know the Oline/TE/RB didn't completly hold up their end of the bargain, but I couldn't help but feel as if Smith looked like a deer in the headlights again. I saw no control, command or fire. It was just the same old dumb smirk he gets on his face when things aren't going well. Even when he did have a chance the guy missed his reciever. I thought he was studying the playbook all off-season? Isn't it partly a QBs job to recognize the defense and communicate to the O necessary changes in the blocking scheme? In all, I just felt like it was the same old Smith. If he has time and there are no suprises, he'll be ok. If things break down and the team as a whole is overwhelmed, he will fold like a lawn chair. That is the very definition of a back up. I've tried to be open minded about Smith, but I think everything we've seen the last 7 years is the real Smith.....

That was probably him thinking, "this is why I was so convinced I wasn't going to come back here. QB's don't even get a chance to succeed. WTF was I thinking?"
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

That was probably him thinking, "this is why I was so convinced I wasn't going to come back here. QB's don't even get a chance to succeed. WTF was I thinking?"

Even if I conceed as justifiable every negative circumstance that has been out of Smiths control, there is not one NFL QB that has been given as many chances as Alex Smith. If I was Alex Smith I would quit football and start a cult, because he clearly has more than enough blind faith followers to start his own religion....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM ]
Quote from Smith re: Saints blitzing..

Q: When do you practice it (blitz pick up)?

A: In camp. Usually a general progression is: first preseason game is you’re pretty generic and you ramp your way up. Everybody knows that their first preseason game is when you’ll get your most game-time calls. Some teams are more aggressive and pressure like the Saints. Obviously they decided that (blitzing) is their base stuff and they brought it out. Sometimes in the regular season you don’t ever see snaps like that.

Obviously not complaining the Saints did that...but is this true? Anyway..interesting stuff either way.
I know most of us are ticked at the blitzing NO threw at us. We had 2 options....deal with it (we tried and failed) or send a message back.

I'd like to focus on this idea of sending a message back.

Every sport has a way of sending a message. In MLB you bean their star. In hockey you send in your enforcer/goon. In the NFL you hurt their QB with late hits and ejections be damned.

Does anyone remember the last time this actually happened? I remember the Pats running up the score a few years ago. Public opinion at the time was Brady might pay the price with a late cheap shot. I'm surprised it never came
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/274472-why-tom-brady-is-begging-for-a-bone-crunching-sack

What would the Saints have done if we simply sent one of our camp guys in and told him to ignore the whistle....think that would have stopped the blitz shenanigans?
Ok

You must be real fun at parties...

This is the most famous example of it happening before. GB body slams Jim McMahon

*EDIT*
And the link in case the embedded video doesn't work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM ]
It's time to move on ........ coach Harbaugh has , I also have a strong belief that Harbaugh will continue to remember this as well.
Its football, The Saints have things they need to work on too, they felt blitzing was one of those things, thats there choice. that article about the Brady running up the score was hilarious. If you dont want them to score then stop them

RUN UP THE SCORE
All I can say is that had it been the 49ers been blitzing and knocking Brees around, I would have liked it. However I was more upset with the 49ers failure to stop it than I was with the Saints blitzing.
Share 49ersWebzone