• RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Be patient. They have a "plan"...to not spend any money.

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy they didn't offer that much to have him stay.

Matt Barrows @
He was not happy with the 49ers front office; did not want to return to SF ... @hudd07 Can you believe we lost Lawson over 1 year deal?

He didn't want to be here...can't force people to sign.

Oh that explains it, I thought he at least showed interest in staying. Looks like he couldn't wait to leave.

But who cares. According to Maddog, you have to make them stay.

Obviously, you can't make people stay, but this front office is showing an inability to massage relationships. They seem to take a very hardline confrontational stance with players they are negotiating with. Total sign of a rookie FO.

It's one thing to disagree, but a lot of our guys seem to be leaving upset.

He got a 1 yr, 3M dollar offer. Obviously, we were not the only team in the league that did not value him. So we should have re-signed him for the sake of signing him? If he was so good, he'd have multiple teams going after him and offering him multiple year contracts.

I really get frustrated with the "every other team" arguments. Every other team passed on Deason Jackson almost twice. Every other team let Joe Montana slip to the 3rd. Every other team let Tom Brady fall to the 6th round. And the list goes on and on. Every other team thought Banta Cain was garbage, but he was a double digit sack guy in NE. Who knows why teams do what they do. But the every other team argument is faulty at best. I could just as easily say this every thing this FO has done has resulted in losing the last eigh years, so they must be making mistakes right now? The track record is in my favor, not yours.

Montana, Jackson and Brady were all rookies. Teams only had college tapes on them to judge them by. These NFL FA's have been in the league. There is tons of gametape on them against NFL talent. Please don't compare "other teams" passing on rookies to actual NFL Vets.
Only the niners leave a FA period with more money and a crappier roster than they went into FA with.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Matt Barrows @
He was not happy with the 49ers front office; did not want to return to SF ... @hudd07 Can you believe we lost Lawson over 1 year deal?

Oh that explains it, I thought he at least showed interest in staying. Looks like he couldn't wait to leave.

Obviously, you can't make people stay, but this front office is showing an inability to massage relationships. They seem to take a very hardline confrontational stance with players they are negotiating with. Total sign of a rookie FO.

He got a 1 yr, 3M dollar offer. Obviously, we were not the only team in the league that did not value him. So we should have re-signed him for the sake of signing him? If he was so good, he'd have multiple teams going after him and offering him multiple year contracts.

I really get frustrated with the "every other team" arguments. Every other team passed on Deason Jackson almost twice. Every other team let Joe Montana slip to the 3rd. Every other team let Tom Brady fall to the 6th round. And the list goes on and on. Every other team thought Banta Cain was garbage, but he was a double digit sack guy in NE. Who knows why teams do what they do. But the every other team argument is faulty at best. I could just as easily say that every thing this FO has done has resulted in losing the last eigh years, so they must be making mistakes right now? The track record is in my favor, not yours.

This FO hasn't been around for 8 years. Baalke has been GM for two years (officially 1), Jed has been in charge for 2.5 years, so their track record is hiring Singletary prematurely, drafting to suit his vision, firing him, hiring Harbaugh, and this last draft.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have to spend a certain percentage of the cap each year??

not until 2013
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have to spend a certain percentage of the cap each year??

that's not til 2013. right now it's a league wide basis.
Originally posted by Otter:

Matt Barrows @

I really get frustrated with the "every other team" arguments. Every other team passed on Deason Jackson almost twice. Every other team let Joe Montana slip to the 3rd. Every other team let Tom Brady fall to the 6th round. And the list goes on and on. Every other team thought Banta Cain was garbage, but he was a double digit sack guy in NE. Who knows why teams do what they do. But the every other team argument is faulty at best. I could just as easily say that every thing this FO has done has resulted in losing the last eigh years, so they must be making mistakes right now? The track record is in my favor, not yours.

This FO hasn't been around for 8 years. Baalke has been GM for two years (officially 1), Jed has been in charge for 2.5 years, so their track record is hiring Singletary prematurely, drafting to suit his vision, firing him, hiring Harbaugh, and this last draft.

But they hired Baalke from within (wasn't he Scott's right-hand man). He's been around long enough to share in the blame of the past few years. Agree, he wasn't the GM and his word may not have counted for a lot, but he isn't an outsider with a fresh new vision of where things should be heading.
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by Otter:

Matt Barrows @

But they hired Baalke from within (wasn't he Scott's right-hand man). He's been around long enough to share in the blame of the past few years. Agree, he wasn't the GM and his word may not have counted for a lot, but he isn't an outsider with a fresh new vision of where things should be heading.

exactly.
It has been very quiet and almost dead during free agency with the niners. I understand why it has caused some to worry, but its not like there are some stellar free agents out there. The niners patience has shown that they will not continue and I emphasize continue to make he same past mistakes that have gotten them nowhere the past few years. This front office is truly different thn the past playoff less leadership. Remember two things, I've seen us be very active in free agency and it has yet to turn the tide. Finally, it hurts because some of "our guys" left and it feels like rejection but honestly, why fight for starters that have contributed nothing to a playoff run? I think the niners are making more changes thn we give credit to them for and the first change is out with the old.

Matt Barrows @

I really get frustrated with the "every other team" arguments. Every other team passed on Deason Jackson almost twice. Every other team let Joe Montana slip to the 3rd. Every other team let Tom Brady fall to the 6th round. And the list goes on and on. Every other team thought Banta Cain was garbage, but he was a double digit sack guy in NE. Who knows why teams do what they do. But the every other team argument is faulty at best. I could just as easily say this every thing this FO has done has resulted in losing the last eigh years, so they must be making mistakes right now? The track record is in my favor, not yours.

Montana, Jackson and Brady were all rookies. Teams only had college tapes on them to judge them by. These NFL FA's have been in the league. There is tons of gametape on them against NFL talent. Please don't compare "other teams" passing on rookies to actual NFL Vets.

Every other team passed on Steve Young. Every other team thought Cedric Benson was a bum. Every other team thought Warner was washed up after he left NY and signed with the Cards as a back up to Lienart. Is that better?
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Matt Barrows @

Every other team passed on Steve Young. Every other team thought Cedric Benson was a bum. Every other team thought Warner was washed up after he left NY and signed with the Cards as a back up to Lienart. Is that better?

For every 3 "good" examples of FA's working out, there are hundreds that don't. I can play this game too and point out countless examples of FA's that didn't do too well with their new teams.

I believe they have a plan. Sadly I think that plan is to tank this season, and rebuild next year.
This front office has been doing a great job of retaining/extending 49ers who have played well.

Remember the early extensions rewards this team was giving our players the past 3 years. That is great and all but what happens if a player who felt he was performing well never got the "we will take care of you" extension as Manny or Dashon didn't get? It basically upsets those players and gives them an informal notice that we really are not sure if we want them.

I think that strategy worked out to perfection. We really don't care if Dashon or Manny get the f**k out because they are easily replaced. We gave these "reward" extensions to Walker and other players who can improve more and give us more...Snyder was one of them a while back.

The main problem with this front office is that it keeps losing out on the premier Free Agents and that's normal considering the circumstances. What is NOT acceptable is to let the 2nd tier Free Agents slip through our grasp.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I believe they have a plan. Sadly I think that plan is to tank this season, and rebuild next year.

Yup.
Originally posted by PMOE24:
It has been very quiet and almost dead during free agency with the niners. I understand why it has caused some to worry, but its not like there are some stellar free agents out there. The niners patience has shown that they will not continue and I emphasize continue to make he same past mistakes that have gotten them nowhere the past few years. This front office is truly different thn the past playoff less leadership. Remember two things, I've seen us be very active in free agency and it has yet to turn the tide. Finally, it hurts because some of "our guys" left and it feels like rejection but honestly, why fight for starters that have contributed nothing to a playoff run? I think the niners are making more changes thn we give credit to them for and the first change is out with the old.

I hope to god that you are right and this works. Hard to be optimistic about how things are going right now.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Yup.

Because of the lockout, I'm ok with that. Especially if it nets us Luck.
Share 49ersWebzone