LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

49ers 30 million under cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by 5280High:

People are acting like Baalke was the janitor or something. We was a team scout and then player of personnel. I seriously doubt he was just sitting around and not taking part in the discussion of who did/did not get added to the team. Again, he doesn't get most of the blame because he didn't have the trigger or coached or played. But there's a lot of blame to go around and he should get his fair share as well.

Look at is this way - Jed thought so highly of Trent and the job he was doing that he PROMOTED him to be the GM - to be the man with the trigger. You don't get that kind of promotion if you aren't already a key figure in how things are running.

Final words - he's been with the organization since '05. I'll leave it at that.

Blame rests solely on those who make the decisions, not the ones that present options. It's the job of any scout like Baalke, one of many scouting personnel, to present the team with the players that fit their scheme and the direction they want to go in. Trying to blame him for things that happened before he was in charge of the decisions is like blaming a realtor for showing you multiple houses and you pick the one that gets flooded a year later. Presenting the scouting profiles of players and actually drafting them are entirely different.

I disagree. Does Singletary get all of the blame, or do his coordinators share some of it to? There was lots of angst on this board about Jimmy Raye and his playcalling - deservedly so IMO.

The way you make it sound, Baalke did a great job as scout and player personnel and presented Scott with many good options for the draft and in free agency, but Scott ultimately went in another direction. Unless Baalke was screaming for us to draft Desean Jackson, but Scott picked Balmer instead (we don't know if that did or didn't happen; just using it as an example). Just because you're the guy in charge doesn't mean others can't share in the blame.

And the realtor example isn't completely accurate, unless that realtor is going to live in the house with you after you purchase. Realtors don't always have your best interest at heart. But your scouts and player personnel should. If not, they should be replaced.

I look at it more like a CEO of a company and the board of directors. The CEO makes the final decisions. So when things go bad in a quarter or a year, it's on the CEO. But if the board is helping to lay out a plan that the CEO uses to base his decisions on, why is the board exempt when things get messed up? That's my ultimate point about Baalke.

I never said Baalke was some wonderkin scout. But there is a key difference in presenting options and making the decisions. In your example the Board is definately York not Baalke.

The point is that you don't shoot the messenger. Baalke and the other scouts simply present options, they have no power in the decision making process. You wanna know what would happen to Baalke had he stood up to McClueless and Sing and told them they were wrong... he'd be packing his bags the next day and offering scouting data to Sando or one of the local bloggers. Execs don't like being questioned when they have made a decision. Baalke's opinion was just one of many taken into account when it came to drafting players, and I guarentee you it was as objective as possible. He was a scout not a coach. Attaching feelings to a decision won't get you far in any business, certainly not scouting.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
jesus, so Franklin cant get a better deal with us. so he spurns us to go to NO.

I guess he didnt want to take a 4yr deal.

Anyway, Im sick of FAs not wanting to stay, and I know I know.

But this isnt on the FO.

Everyone can spin it their own way, this is roster and lack of is NOT on Baalke, and anyone who says it is, is and Im sorry an Idiot. This goes on McClueless and Nolan/Sing regime. Their the ones who f**ked up with contracts.

Did you want Franklin on the team or not? And if it's not on the FO then who? Not trying to start anything, just trying to understand your point.

I did, but not on a 5yr 25M deal, or even 4yrs.

I dont care how everyone spins it, this is NOT on baalke, this team is s**t, s**tty FO from before, no wonder players want out.

We finally get a good coach and everyone bolts. Our ownership is fine. Enough BS about not spending.

Dont overpay for anyone, not one player is the savior. I dont get why no one understands that. I feel like evryone is ignoring me.

Im sick of fans b***hing and moaning.

Each yr, we sign someone and oh he sucks according to the zone, who the F-uck knows that, no one knows. U have to wait and see on the field.

We signed Spikes, everyone thought he was done.
Larry Allen, people asked WHY, well he played real well here in 2 yrs.

Goldson, Lawson, Baas are OVERRATED. and u dont pay overrated players top 3 money at their position.

So get over it and just support the damn team. Same s**t over and over every year.

You sound like you're frustrated, which most of us are as well. We just can't go to Trent's office and b***h and moan. So we come here instead.

Believe it or not, we're all on the same team here and want the same thing - for this team to get BETTER. It's driving me nuts we can't field a decent team. And while you want to cut the FO some slack (and that's your prerogative) other don't (and that's their prerogative too).

I just want us to get better. Period.

But this isnt on the FO.

Everyone can spin it their own way, this is roster and lack of is NOT on Baalke, and anyone who says it is, is and Im sorry an Idiot. This goes on McClueless and Nolan/Sing regime. Their the ones who f**ked up with contracts.

Did you want Franklin on the team or not? And if it's not on the FO then who? Not trying to start anything, just trying to understand your point.

I dont care how everyone spins it, this is NOT on baalke, this team is s**t, s**tty FO from before, no wonder players want out.

We finally get a good coach and everyone bolts. Our ownership is fine. Enough BS about not spending.

Dont overpay for anyone, not one player is the savior. I dont get why no one understands that. I feel like evryone is ignoring me.

Each yr, we sign someone and oh he sucks according to the zone, who the F-uck knows that, no one knows. U have to wait and see on the field.

Goldson, Lawson, Baas are OVERRATED. and u dont pay overrated players top 3 money at their position.

So get over it and just support the damn team. Same s**t over and over every year.

You sound like you're frustrated, which most of us are as well. We just can't go to Trent's office and b***h and moan. So we come here instead.

Believe it or not, we're all on the same team here and want the same thing - for this team to get BETTER. It's driving me nuts we can't field a decent team. And while you want to cut the FO some slack (and that's your prerogative) other don't (and that's their prerogative too).

oh yeah, Im with you. It sucks it does. I wanted to keep Spikes, but not a 3yr deal, Franklin, maybe 3yrs, but not 4-5 yrs.

Yeah Baas I would keep, just not for 26M.

LaBoy, Manny, Dashon, etc... can all go for all i care.,

Only FA i wanted was Nnamdi, but he wanted Philly. And even said his deal that was rumored was wrong.

But this isnt on the FO.

oh yeah, Im with you. It sucks it does. I wanted to keep Spikes, but not a 3yr deal, Franklin, maybe 3yrs, but not 4-5 yrs.

Only FA i wanted was Nnamdi, but he wanted Philly. And even said his deal that was rumored was wrong.

I'm not very worried about us not getting the top tier FA's but our depth does not look very good and I don't understand why it appears we aren't making more of an effort to get the 2nd/3rd tier FA's for depth alone.

It's not gonna stop until fans see a plan that actually works. It's the same thing over and over every year because our team wields the same bad results year after year.

I'm all for purging the old and the mediocre if that's what the decision makers think wee need to do. I NEVER thought we were as close to winning anything significant as many people here so I'm perfectly ok with rebuilding.

I just don't understand why on one hand it seems we're building for the long haul, and then management goes out and tries to woo a 34yr old Plax Burris. What is someone like Plax gonna do for a rebuilding team. Things like that make me worry that our FO is no more competent than in the past. I just don't want to have to go through this all over again in 3 years.

[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 2, 2011 at 14:41:58 ]
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

It's not gonna stop until fans see a plan that actually works. It's the same thing over and over every year because our team wields the same bad results year after year.

I'm all for purging the old and the mediocre if that's what the decision makers think wee need to do. I NEVER thought we were as close to winning anything significant as many people here so I'm perfectly ok with rebuilding.

I just don't understand why on one hand it seems we're building for the long haul, and then management goes out and tries to woo a 34yr old Plax Burris. What is someone like Plax gonna do for a rebuilding team. Things like that make me worry that our FO is no more competent than in the past. I just don't want to have to go through this all over again in 3 years.

This. The FO is saying "safe" but we have tried to fly in and meet a lot of the top tier FA's out there and the FA's aren't even making a valid attempt to fly here. I have a feeling players like Spikes and Clements are getting rung up and giving their thoughts on what they think about the team.

But this isnt on the FO.

Honestly AB, what are you even talking about? You should know more than anyone that the only thing that really matters is the garuenteed money. Who cares if Spikes signed a 3 year contract, how did that work out for Nate Clements? So we sign him to an inflated numbers contract, we cut him next year without any issues. Spikes, Lawson, Clements all signed extremely cap friendly contracts. All those guys together wouldn't of got what we were willing to pay Nnamdi....
That is ridiculous that we are fielding a team for 90 million this year while most teams are fielding 120 million dollar teams.
If the Niners are 30mil under the cap, that means they are like 22mil under the cap minimum. Which means they will have to pay someone.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
That is ridiculous that we are fielding a team for 90 million this year while most teams are fielding 120 million dollar teams.

the cap figure is skewed. It doesnt include any FA signings.

Alex, McDonald, Wragge, Akers, Grant, Williams and Applewhite arent included.

Originally posted by endcapitalism:
If the Niners are 30mil under the cap, that means they are like 22mil under the cap minimum. Which means they will have to pay someone.

They don't.

This was posted a while back. Supposedly they don't have to meet any minimum this year.
were gonna sign 30 mil worth of undrafted FA's

the cap figure is skewed. It doesnt include any FA signings.

Alex, McDonald, Wragge, Akers, Grant, Williams and Applewhite arent included.

Jesus those signings are awful.
Originally posted by endcapitalism:

They don't.

This was posted a while back. Supposedly they don't have to meet any minimum this year.

Thanks for the knowledge.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Otter:
Another piece of information people are ignoring. Teams are going in to camp with 90 players. At some point they'll have to cut down to 53. Seems logical that there will be people available later on, and the price will be much more reasonable and appropriate for their talent level.

This means--more scrubs on the way to the Niners...

its not always scrubs there are decent players that get cut for salary cap purposes.

Current evidence is that we won't go after them. We are doing NOTHING.

Niners $30 million below salary cap ... but not really

The 49ers are a little less than $30 million below the salary cap, according to information from the NFL Players Association. However, that cap number - about $91 million - takes into account recently released players like Nate Clements but not new contracts to free agents like Alex Smith, Ray McDonald and David Akers.

Those contracts will go into effect Thursday with the start of the new league year. The 49ers still promise to be well below the cap limit on Thursday, but the discrepancy between the listed and actual cap numbers are partly the reason for a lull in free agency.

Some of the teams around the league are scrambling this week to restructure contracts so that they are under the cap by Thursday. Agents, meanwhile, are hesitant to commit to deals until they see what actual market looks like. Adding to that landscape is the fact that newly-signed free agents can't practice with their teams until Thursday at the earliest anyway. That is, there is no real impetus to complete deals until later in the week.

A number of 49ers free agents are finding the market softer than anticipated. There was a flurry of activity and big signings early in free agency. But due to the 2010 free-agency rules that required players to have six years of service instead of the normal four before becoming unrestricted free agents, there is a glut of free agents this year. That, combined with the return of a salary cap, has weakened the market.

Three of the 49ers' own free agents, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and Aubrayo Franklin, all expected to be hot commodities this season. Lawson, for example, signed a one-year deal in Cincinnati so that he could re-enter the free-agent market next year when it ostensibly has normalized. Goldson and Franklin are still available, and both of them could return to the 49ers.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/niners-30-million-below-cap-but-not-really.html#ixzz1Ttllc6NC

I am a little confused. If the teams don't have to spend a certain percent of their money until 2013, how can the NFL Guarantee a league wide 99% cash spend of the salary cap in 2011-2012.

Can other teams spend over the cap limit this year as long as they are in compliance in 2013? Is there something I am missing? Here is a PDF I found at SI. Interesting read.

PDF
Share 49ersWebzone