Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 30 million under cap

Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I understand, but Its not smart to just throw money at players, this crop of FAs are a weak bunch.

Best CBs were Nnamdi and Joseph. Honestly the rest are average, even Cromartie. Not high on Rogers, has been a bust in WSH. Marshall has also been mediocre in CAR.

Im fine with FA, just spend the money smartly, dont do a nate clemets or jonas jennings deals. I just couldnt see giving a 30yr old CB 15M a yr, or even 13M, over 5yrs. Its jusy way to much.

You mean like the Patriots before their Super Bowl run. What a concept.

Uh,little problem with your Patriots model. The Patriots actually made moves. They traded for players. Baalke hasn't even done that. lol

Wron, they started to trade for players and bring in big free agents after they won the superbowl one or 2 times, but they spent wisely and didn't bring in big names.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

All these are guys drafted by the Pats.

So...we should direct our anger at the FO for bad drafting instead of inactivity in free agency???

Specifically McClueless... Baalke's guys have been in the league for one year.
back to the cap.

i believe this 91M in salaries either includes all signed, since the cap is the top 51 salaries, and dead money, along with non top 51 Bonuses.

Cause from my numbers, I have them at 91M with Dead Space, and extra bonuses, and it includes Alex's 5M deal.

basically, with the un-accounted contracts of Wragge, Akers and McDonald, along with Madieu, Grant and Applewhite. It makes sense that they are including all salaries.

I understand, but Its not smart to just throw money at players, this crop of FAs are a weak bunch.

Best CBs were Nnamdi and Joseph. Honestly the rest are average, even Cromartie. Not high on Rogers, has been a bust in WSH. Marshall has also been mediocre in CAR.

Im fine with FA, just spend the money smartly, dont do a nate clemets or jonas jennings deals. I just couldnt see giving a 30yr old CB 15M a yr, or even 13M, over 5yrs. Its jusy way to much.

Uh,little problem with your Patriots model. The Patriots actually made moves. They traded for players. Baalke hasn't even done that. lol

Wron, they started to trade for players and bring in big free agents after they won the superbowl one or 2 times, but they spent wisely and didn't bring in big names.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

So...we should direct our anger at the FO for bad drafting instead of inactivity in free agency???

Yes

1 10 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
3 10 Glen Coffee Alabama Gone
5 10 Scott McKillop Pittsburgh
5 35 Nate Davis Ball State Gone
6 11 Bear Pascoe Fresno State Gone
7 10 Curtis Taylor Is he still on the roster?
7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

1 29 Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina Gone
2 8 Chilo Rachal G Southern California Sucks
3 12 Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma
4 8 Cody Wallace C Texas A&M Gone
6 8 Josh Morgan WR Virginia Tech
7 7 Larry Grant Resigned as a FA

1 11 Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi
1 28 Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
3 12 Jason Hill WR Washington State Gone
3 34 Ray McDonald DT Florida
4 5 Jay Moore DE/OLB Nebraska Gone
4 27 Dashon Goldson FS Washington Gonna Go
4 36 Joe Cohen DT Florida Gone
5 10 Tarell Brown CB Texas Sucks
6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

[ Edited by jreff22 on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:04:52 ]
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
No body has said anything about breaking the bank - we are not even close to breaking the bank.

We have 30 mil to spend and we choose not to spend it, that's like having Tom Brady at QB and choosing to start Alex Smith.

The article is skewed. it is not 30 million. Check the facts people. The 30 does not include the contracts of McDonald 4 mill, Smith 5 mill, and Wragge and Ackers combine est. 3 mill not to mention some of the other FA scrubs to fill the roster. So it is more like 18 mill.

Gore wants an extension, Goldson and and Franklin are still under consideration. Plus the next wave of players are yet to come as teams cut players who won't renegotiate after their teams made a splash into the maket Thursday is when the new year starts and when the FA money is applied to the cap.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

Those players were the resposibility of the previous regimes (Nolan/ Singletary with Scott).
To me, the argument is not about any one individual player, whether they be a free agent from another squad or from ours. The issue is that the Niners knew far in advance that they needed to solve the CB problem for 2011. The options were:
1) Simply pay Nate his money and the issue becomes a non-issue. You deal with finding a new starter next year.
2) Draft a CB who is ready to play and then deal with Clements later.
3) Ensure that there is no way that a quality starting free agent gets through your hands, even if you have to overpay. You have to overpay because you have bypassed Steps 1 and 2.

The Niners have skipped Steps 1, 2, and 3, and now trot out the ridiculous line, "be patient", "we have a plan". No, you don't, and don't pretend that we are stupid.

The team is now stuck. Quality CB's are not released during training camp. Nickel and dime CB's are. And, we already have a long list of nickel and dime CB's littering our roster. So, we enter 2011 with Spencer and Brown as our corners, and they will be matched up with Rice and M. Williams twice, Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards (probably) twice. That is simply not competitive.

The Seahawks and Cardinals and Rams are at least making an attempt to upgrade their rosters. We are simply sitting back, hoping for minor miracles to take place.

Finally, I am tired of excuses by Niners management. We heard the line during the draft, "there were no takers", "nobody wanted to move down", blah, blah, blah, and now we are trying but we simply don't want to overpay, or these players didn't want to come here. Our management is passive, and when you are passive, you get run over.

Cheers. [/b]
Originally posted by WildBill:

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

Those players were the resposibility of the previous regimes (Nolan/ Singletary with Scott).

1. They were all drafted under the ownership and ultimate leadership and direction of the Yorks.
2. Baalke has been with the organization awhile, right? I know he wasn't the GM (can't remember if he was a scout or Scott's right-hand man), but his hands aren't clean either.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

I know, my point was the reason for the "holes" falls back on the FO, a previous FO that failed.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

I know, my point was the reason for the "holes" falls back on the FO, a previous FO that failed.

Yeah. People wanna blame this regime for the failure of past FO regime. Makes no sense.

So basically, the bad signings and drafting is Baalke's fault and not McCloughan and Nolan's fault. And Sing gets a pass? LOL.
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Meh, i aint even worried, the lockout pretty much screwed us and i dont expect the team to just throw money all over the place just because. We made a run at Nnamdi and Ochocinco and it didnt work out Oh well.

The only player im mad about losing was Clements

I still support Jed and Trent

This.

With a new management and coaching, I'm willing to be patient. Sing had his chance and failed. Now we must give Harbaugh and Baalke that chance without the hysterics of every possible move that could've been made. This is an organization that has some nice parts, but is going to have to be built up to fit our new vision. This is a year of little expectations, which is nice for a change, because despite all the knee-jerk fans out there, we may actually find a nice foundation to grow into the future. Just chill the f**k out and stop giving people reason to call us whiners.

Stop making sense!

Thats exactly what ownership wants they hire a new coach every few years just to shut the fans up and make them keep paying inflated tickets prices and $30 to park in the mud.

Nothing really changes..............

Yup. This. We need new owners.

Well unfortunately we're not getting new owners, so now what?

Yeah. People wanna blame this regime for the failure of past FO regime. Makes no sense.

So basically, the bad signings and drafting is Baalke's fault and not McCloughan and Nolan's fault. And Sing gets a pass? LOL.

Sing does not get a pass. He was a motivator but couldn't coach for sh*t!

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Meh, i aint even worried, the lockout pretty much screwed us and i dont expect the team to just throw money all over the place just because. We made a run at Nnamdi and Ochocinco and it didnt work out Oh well.

The only player im mad about losing was Clements

I still support Jed and Trent

This.

With a new management and coaching, I'm willing to be patient. Sing had his chance and failed. Now we must give Harbaugh and Baalke that chance without the hysterics of every possible move that could've been made. This is an organization that has some nice parts, but is going to have to be built up to fit our new vision. This is a year of little expectations, which is nice for a change, because despite all the knee-jerk fans out there, we may actually find a nice foundation to grow into the future. Just chill the f**k out and stop giving people reason to call us whiners.

Stop making sense!

Thats exactly what ownership wants they hire a new coach every few years just to shut the fans up and make them keep paying inflated tickets prices and $30 to park in the mud.

Nothing really changes..............

Yup. This. We need new owners.

I posted this many times and we all need to figure out a way to make this happen. If anyone knows Larry Ellison we should set up a meeting and figure out a way to get the Franchise in his hands. There is a way the league can force an owner to sell due to incompetence. Larry Ellison could take the team, hire great football minds and that would be a good clearing house for a Rebuild. Start with the foundation and build from there instead of keep changing the Roof and Walls over and over again. I do care about the Niners and of course all of the Pollyanna folks will say you should support the team. This is the real way to support your team.

Lucky Sperm will never get this team on track.

jesus, Its been a few weeks and everyone has turned on the FO.

Everyone was excited about getting Harbaugh, thanks to Baalke.

Now cause we dont sign "Big names" which isnt always the best idea or "the popular names" all of a sudden we are gonna suck for years.

AGAIN, WE DONT BUILD THRU FA, WE BUILD THRU THE DRAFT.

We can thank twitter for the drastic turn.

What we knew after Harbaugh hiring:
-Niners not to go crazy in FA
-Niners build through the drafft
-likely go through a rebuilding year
-have several free agents that may leave (most of which are average at best, but severely overrated on the WZ)
-The longer the lockout goes, the more it will hurt the Niners.
-New offense, new defense, new GM, new HC, so don't expect too much in 2011.

For some reason, everyone forgot all of that. All of this lockout B.S. seriously messed with people's heads.

Exactly, people just get all excited when stupid schefter says the niners are making a push for nnamdi, then they go rabid when it doesn't happen. It's not like we're one good corner away from a superbowl anyway.

Why get a ton of FA's when they've made it quite clear that this year is mainly an evaluation year? With the lockout there's very little chance harbaugh will be able to fuly implement the system change he wanted to implement. So they move to a 2 year plan, no big deal.

Obviously they don't want to emphasize that point, because they always want to say that winning every year is important and avoid words like "rebuild". But actions(or lack of actions in this case) speak louder than words.

I don't think they'll tank it, but I think the season goes something like this:
-Alex starts, kaepernick watches the year unless alex gets hurt 2 years in a row.(which isn't that likely). I'm ok w/this because I think colin will be a good starter in 2012.

-They have to spend SOME cap, so they sign franklin, some CB most of us have never heard of, and whatever WR they can convince to come here lol.

- With all the rough patches of implementing a new system in a really short amount of time,the improving NFC west competition(minus seattle perhaps) and with us waiting for guys to step up to fill the voids left by all the "mediocre" starters who've left, we finish at about the same spot as we finished last year.(downgrades in last year's roster have mostly been negated by an improvement in coaching imo, but the increased competition in the nfc west keeps us from an 8-8 or higher season)

and I've got no problem with another crap season so long as we see some guys emerge into fantastic starters that we didn't expect to(anthony davis would be nice, same with mays, possibly josh morgan or another receiver, dixon perhaps, maybe even alex smith). The great thing about getting rid of some of those old mediocre players is there's chances for guys to prove themselves as starters, and not just mediocre starters but absolute beasts. A few beasts emerge on crap teams every year lol.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

1. They were all drafted under the ownership and ultimate leadership and direction of the Yorks.
2. Baalke has been with the organization awhile, right? I know he wasn't the GM (can't remember if he was a scout or Scott's right-hand man), but his hands aren't clean either.

The last time I check, never heard one peep from Scott or others that the Yorks made them pick this pick like the Cowgirls and whiteskins ownership does.

Baalke may have been within this organization, but is he the one that pulled the trigger, the one that made the final decision? No. Is he the one that coaches the players? No! Why is Kyle Kosier signed by the cowboys to start at guard. Why was Dahl not on this team and starting elsewhere? Chilo's situation could have been avoided if we kept one of these two and coached them and used them right.

The other thing I read that ESPN pointed out is that the niners, because of the type of loses they have suffered thus far, will get some good compensatory picks in the next draft. Very important if building thru the draft and rebuiding your team around some gore people. I know people are tired of the past decade, but they are looking at the long haul and the three year plan started this past draft and it is just a prelude the way I see it.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

For the most part once those guys went elsewhere they werent even 70% of the player they were in NE.

The system they were put in made them awesome.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

Yes

7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

6 12 Thomas Clayton Gone

Do you see a bad trend?

You forgot the bonehead logic that since Baalke was with this organization in some type of capacity under previous regimes, its still his fault even though he wasnt making any of the decisions.