LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

We let go a lot of players without proper replacements

Shop Find 49ers gear online
David Baas played very well last year, considering that it was his first year playing center in the NFL. He is gone now.
Eric Heitmann was a very good center when healthy. He is gone now.
Nate Clements was a decent corner. He is gone now.

This is my question: Obviously, these players are going to be replaced. But are the replacements going to be as good as these players?
Baas wasn't that good. He did an ok job filling last year but we all remember a 12 foot high snap that cost us the saints game and he simply wasn't worth getting into a bidding war for.

Heitmann was that good but he wasn't healthy anymore. he missed last season and he was going to miss this one too. Players that can't get on the field don't help and he was in the last year of his contract.

Clements was godo too, but he wasn't worth the 8 digits he was going to be earning this season.

None of the guys we lost this past week are anything that can't be replaced, and their replacement may very well already be on the team. Also, why is everyone getting so mad about these guys we've lost? do you remember the years they were here? We weren't exactly world beaters then, not like we can get that much worse. I think we'll probably end up signing a couple more guys, maybe Olin Kreutz or Cromartie. We'll line up and play ball and in the end we'll know what these young guys have.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
David Baas played very well last year, considering that it was his first year playing center in the NFL. He is gone now.

This is my question: Obviously, these players are going to be replaced. But are the replacements going to be as good as these players?

Wragge is as good as Baas, IMHO. And he's not getting top dollar, like Baas. And he may be more durable than Baas. And we may yet sign Kruetz to take Baas' place.

Heitmann was gone at the start of LAST YEAR!

Nate "lockdown from 10 yards off and I still get burned" Clements is not irreplaceable. Guy cost us at least two games last year--Seattle, and Atlanta. We coulda been in the playoffs but for his boneheaded play in Atlanta. Not sorry to see him go.
it's all part of the 'plan'........whatever the plan is.
anyone have jeremy newberry's number?
Like other people have already said, most of the guys we lost aren't irreplaceable. Heitmann being gone isn't our fault. He got hurt and from what I read, he's likely going to retire soon. Same with Nedney. Baas leaving does suck, I think he did pretty well for that being his first year of NFL center, but that doesn't mean we can't replace him. We already have other centers on the team who could perform up to his level (we don't know so we have to choose whether or not to trust the coaches on that one, I do) and sources say we're going after the ex Bears center.

Clements was not good. I think people in the last week or so have really forgotten how bad he was, but I didn't like him at all. He had a couple good plays but for the kind of money he wanted, i'm glad we let him go. He can be replaced by either one of the CBs on the team, or if the coaches feel the need to, they'll sign someone else.
People keep saying that these players are replaceable. But we havn't replaced them yet. What are we waiting for!?
I'm not personally at the practices like you apparently are so I can't really say whether or not they've replaced those positions are not. I would IMAGINE there's someone snapping the ball to Kaepernick right now, since i've seen footage of it, but what do I know.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Damnit. We didn't LET GO of Baas. He left.

Some of you guys don't understand that players have a choice in free agency. And right now, the 49ers are not a sexy destination for most free agents.
Balk:

–verb
to stop, as at an obstacle, and refuse to proceed or to do something specified (usually followed by at ): He balked at making the speech.
(of a horse, mule, etc.) to stop short and stubbornly refuse to go on.
to place an obstacle in the way of; hinder; thwart

Well, if we don't replace anyone via free agency:

Takeo Spikes --> Scott McKillop, Navarro Bowman
David Baas / Eric Heitmann --> Adam Snyder
Nate Clements --> ????
Joe Nedney --> David Akers

Dashon Goldson --> ???
Possibly Aubrayo Franklin --> Isaac Sopoaga (making Ray McDonald the new DE)
Possibly Manny Lawson --> Aldon Smith

To be quite honest, if that's how it goes down, I wouldn't be terribly unhappy. Bowman and Aldon Smith are young players who have a high ceiling. Playing time would hopefully speed up their progression.

Losing Takeo Spikes hurts. He was a great leader for our team, and was playing at a very high level. But I can understand it in the long-run. I imagine he only had a year or two of playing at that level. I think they felt it was time for Bowman and McKillop to take the reins.

Adam Snyder at C is a bit of a concern because he's never played the position before, and he's not a superstar offensive lineman. But he's serviceable and can get the job done.

Isaac Sopoaga at NT is a bit of a downgrade from the high-level play from Aubrayo Franklin. But he's certainly capable.

Aldon Smith at OLB is a downgrade in certain respects, but MIGHT be an upgrade as far as pass-rush.

The Secondary in itself has HUUUUUUGE holes. I can see why people are upset right now. There's good cornerbacks out there though, and Dashon Goldson is pretty likely to come back.

My personal opinion is that we've certainly got guys who have the potential to step in and do it. The problem is they're mostly unproven commodities. Sure, it COULD pan out. But at the same time, it could become a huge liability.

I'm not too worried though, to be quite honest. Realistically, a Nnamdi Asomugha would've been AWESOME... but our team still needs another strong draft class or two for us to be successful in the long-run.

[ Edited by Wubbie on Jul 31, 2011 at 16:15:16 ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

are we going to see this season on NFL/49ers shop those type of shirts now?

"Its All Part of the Plan"

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

The plan is build from within and play the youngsters and not overpay for free agents that have a 50/50 chance of success or bust with a new team.
Nobody panics you see.

Nobody panics when things go according to "plan". Even if the plan is horrifying!
(Alex Smith)

Because it's all, part of the plaaaannnnnn.

Explanation
I for one am excited to see some younger guys play
Share 49ersWebzone