LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Postion Battles: ILB (Updated: 8.19.,11)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Losing Takeo is a horrible loss. He went to San Diego to be with a real QB and a team with a great chance of making the playoffs. Maybe he stopped believing in the 49ers

Terrible loss...

[ Edited by hateroids84 on Jul 26, 2011 at 19:24:29 ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Did you watch the Orange Bowl?

Yeah, the Hokies spanked the Bearcats.
I wonder if Brooks gets a shot if Bowman cant handle it
Originally posted by DANADA:

Interesting thought. Fangio likes blitzing up the middle...
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

im just saying

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

im just saying

I'm sayin', too.

Fangio is gonna be moving people around. I expect to see Brooks inside at times and outside, too.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
i am so fu**in pissed Spikes left

We def need a FA vet Leader inside

Uhh Pat Willis is there best out there...dont think we necessarily need a vet.
Gonna miss TKO... hopefully NaVorro will be a decent compliment to Willis.
Originally posted by OO9ers:
At this point it looks like Nick Barnett of the Packers might be heading this way.

At a reduced price ofcourse.

FWIW, Barnett's an inch taller and 4 lbs lighter than Bowman. Would still like to see him come and bring the Dom Capers mentality with him.

Speaking of which, unlike previous coaching regimes, I think Fangio's (and Harbaugh's) approaches tend towards designing their schemes and game plans around the strengths of the players they have, although they have a clear preference for tenacious, attacking squads, and players that can attack from any spot on the field. It will be interesting to see whether players like Bowman, who were forced into passive roles in Manusky's defense, come into their own because of a different defensive philosophy.
I'd say Bowman has the inside track to replace Spikes...Brooks will be counted on to rush the passer. Bowman has McKillop back and healthy to compete against. But, I see Navarro winning...he's fast, strong and showed late last season he can be tough. He has the ability to make an inside rush, along w/Willis. He'll give Fangio another hoss to work with.

TKO is a tough loss. Bowman is not ready. I actually wanted him (Bowman) as an emergency back up if something happened to PW or TKO.

Damn it. Brooks is better at OLB.

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
TKO is a tough loss. Bowman is not ready. I actually wanted him (Bowman) as an emergency back up if something happened to PW or TKO.

Damn it. Brooks is better at OLB in a vanilla 3-4 defense.

Fixed.

Not sure if that's true in a Fangio berserker defense...

Fixed.

McKillop is the other option at the TED LB position. Brooks off the edge worked even in a "vanilla 3-4 defense".

Fixed.

McKillop is the other option at the TED LB position. Brooks off the edge worked even in a "vanilla 3-4 defense".

I'm agreeing with you. In a vanilla defense, Brooks was an ill fit at ILB and did better at OLB. I just think he may do better on the inside in a different defense as an attacker rather than as a blocking dummy.

I like McKillop and would like nothing better than to see him overachieve to the point he can be a starting linebacker in this league (on a team like the Pats, it could even happen). But I agree with MD that on the Niners he's probably going to one of the top ST players in the league, rather than a major defensive force. Wouldn't mind if both of us were wrong about this...would solve a couple of problems for the team.

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 26, 2011 at 20:08:03 ]
f**k it let's get rudy
Share 49ersWebzone