LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

Postion Battles: ILB (Updated: 8.19.,11)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bowman might end up working out, but MD is right about the initial assessment... a 4-3 OLB that's just another to be forced into an ill-suited scheme.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
id say mckillop and he isnt injury prone he had 1 serous injury

If McKillop is healthy, i bet he is the first in before Bowman. He had a more productive Rookie year than Bowman, and much of the hype around Bowman comes from a sneak peak at the Cowboys draft board where they had him slated to get picked in higher rounds.

Bowman is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. The Niners wasted another top 100 draft pick on smashing a round peg into a square hole.

As for McKillop, he is going to be a special teams demon for years, and that adds a ton of value to him.

What do you think Bowman is lacking as an ILB? He has the size. Does he not shed blockers well enough?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Bowman might end up working out, but MD is right about the initial assessment... a 4-3 OLB that's just another to be forced into an ill-suited scheme.

Wait until we get a chance to see our new defensive scheme.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yeah, I'm not condemning the man.

(see bolded)
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yeah, I'm not condemning the man.

(see bolded)

I know, I know... I just think you're selling him short is all.

We'll see.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

If McKillop is healthy, i bet he is the first in before Bowman. He had a more productive Rookie year than Bowman, and much of the hype around Bowman comes from a sneak peak at the Cowboys draft board where they had him slated to get picked in higher rounds.

Bowman is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. The Niners wasted another top 100 draft pick on smashing a round peg into a square hole.

As for McKillop, he is going to be a special teams demon for years, and that adds a ton of value to him.

What do you think Bowman is lacking as an ILB? He has the size. Does he not shed blockers well enough?

He is best suited in open space, on the outside, not locked inside taking up blockers as the Ted.

With Spikes signing with SD, the team will surely pick up another productive vet to compete with Bowman.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

He is best suited in open space, on the outside, not locked inside taking up blockers as the Ted.

With Spikes signing with SD, the team will surely pick up another productive vet to compete with Bowman.

Telling you, it's not the same scheme, Bro.

They're gonna be moving them around and attacking with them, not stacking them like they used to. ILB stunt blitzes and s**t.

Bowman = Lawson's replacement?
A. Smith = Haralson's replacement?
??????? = TKO's replacement?

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 26, 2011 at 19:06:10 ]
At this point it looks like Nick Barnett of the Packers might be heading this way.

At a reduced price ofcourse.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Too small

Too small

He's 4 inches shorter than Lawson, but the exact same weight (and I believe he's quicker/faster). TKO is only 2 lbs heavier than they are, BTW.

He's probably not a pass-rushing force, but of course we're used to that. I agree with MD that he's probably better outside, and given his speed and nose for the ball, could fit pretty well in Vic Fangio's (presumed) defensive scheme.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Too small

He's 4 inches shorter than Lawson, but the exact same weight (and I believe he's quicker/faster). TKO is only 2 lbs heavier than they are, BTW.

He's probably not a pass-rushing force, but of course we're used to that. I agree with MD that he's probably better outside, and given his speed and nose for the ball, could fit pretty well in Vic Fangio's (presumed) defensive scheme.

Did you watch the Orange Bowl?

Too small

Yeah, he's 4 inches shorter. (actually, I think Lawson is 6'5")

Also Manny is much faster/quicker. He ran a 4.4something
Looks like we now have

Willis, Bowman, McKillop and possibly Joseph or Kristick. If we aren't confident in those guys Kevin Burnett, Nick Barnett, Barrett Ruud etc are out there.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/lb.html (some are OLB's)

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 26, 2011 at 19:18:29 ]
i am so fu**in pissed Spikes left

We def need a FA vet Leader inside
Share 49ersWebzone