LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Postion Battles: ILB (Updated: 8.19.,11)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Scott McKillop 6-1 244 Age 25 (Pitt)

Good value on ST, cant write him off yet.

I loved the SM pick at the time and would love for him to step it up this year. Tough Griddy, nose for the ball, sound tackler and special teams standout. This coaching staff is gonna love him.

Also a fan of Kristick's style of play, but don't think he can hold up in a prominant role even as a backup. Still great special teams guy. Im spacing on the name but he reminds me of the guy we signed from SD under Manusky when we were desperate for some TED depth, made a few key plays when he first came in but then defenses keyed in on him not being able to hold consistently at the point of attack.

ILB's: Willis, Spike with Bowman and McKillop for depth.

Random question for anyone who knows, did Dyrell Briggs ever do anything last season after we lost him? He was a pre-season stud as well that would be nice for some depth.

Edit: nvm saw that Dyrell floated around the broncos and packers, only 4 tackles.. guess it wasn't that big of a loss
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM ]
Harbaugh and Levitt will let the guys fight it out regardless of last years preseason
Glad to see we're getting off to another good start to a season where the posters know more than coaches!

Who says Takeo wants to return? Why wouldn't the new staff want to give their best player the responsibility to be a true leader of his team? ACL/Patellar injuries present unusual challenges for guys that squat in stance & drive with their legs for a living. Scotty's a fighter no doubt, but the odds that he will enjoy a long & healthy career are low. Bowman on the other hand was given every opportunity to succeed last year and he struggled with assignments, reads and missed tackles. He also seemed to "hold back" on ST's. And by all accounts, Kristick, an UDFA & 3yr all conf Pac10 LB, was everyone's 1st cut last year. He played very well on D when called upon (backing up Pat is like being a Whirlpool repairman fcol)! Didn't see a lot of Joseph.

I think we keep 5 ILB's. Especially, if we scheme into and out of a 43/34 as expected. But, 3 of the 5 must be playmakers!
Originally posted by ebayniner:
Glad to see we're getting off to another good start to a season where the posters know more than coaches!

Who says Takeo wants to return? Why wouldn't the new staff want to give their best player the responsibility to be a true leader of his team? ACL/Patellar injuries present unusual challenges for guys that squat in stance & drive with their legs for a living. Scotty's a fighter no doubt, but the odds that he will enjoy a long & healthy career are low. Bowman on the other hand was given every opportunity to succeed last year and he struggled with assignments, reads and missed tackles. He also seemed to "hold back" on ST's. And by all accounts, Kristick, an UDFA & 3yr all conf Pac10 LB, was everyone's 1st cut last year. He played very well on D when called upon (backing up Pat is like being a Whirlpool repairman fcol)! Didn't see a lot of Joseph.

I think we keep 5 ILB's. Especially, if we scheme into and out of a 43/34 as expected. But, 3 of the 5 must be playmakers!

there is a 95% chance TKO stays with us pal

TKO will want to stay
Bring in another UDFA or 2nd. tier FA, and let him battle for dat 4th. spot...Leave the top 3 spots locked up !
Originally posted by jreff22:
Scott McKillop 6-1 244 Age 25 (Pitt)

Good value on ST, cant write him off yet.

I think he has the heart, don't know about the physical aspect though? Too bad we cant put his brain in Bowman's body.....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM ]
Frisco,
Pal? Don't date yourself.

My point: Takeo's headed into his 15th season and while I love the guy, the coaches will decide. I personally think we need more speed, quick twitch and instinct to help Pat out. But, I also know what I don't know. The coaches & GM will make the call that best "fits" this team.

Btw, we should know for sure tomorrow or wed, right?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
id say mckillop and he isnt injury prone he had 1 serous injury

If McKillop is healthy, i bet he is the first in before Bowman. He had a more productive Rookie year than Bowman, and much of the hype around Bowman comes from a sneak peak at the Cowboys draft board where they had him slated to get picked in higher rounds.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Harbaugh and Levitt will let the guys fight it out regardless of last years preseason

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
I hope we bring in Herzlich. He can compete at ILB and OLB.
Frisco,

My point: Takeo's headed into his 15th season and while I love the guy, the coaches will decide. I personally think we need more speed, quick twitch and instinct to help Pat out. But, I also know what I don't know. The coaches & GM will make the call that best "fits" this team.

and also there is this one aspect called LEADERSHIP, which he has more of than almost anyone on this team
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Frisco,

and also there is this one aspect called LEADERSHIP, which he has more of than almost anyone on this team

I don't think there is anyone with more leadership.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:

If McKillop is healthy, i bet he is the first in before Bowman. He had a more productive Rookie year than Bowman, and much of the hype around Bowman comes from a sneak peak at the Cowboys draft board where they had him slated to get picked in higher rounds.

Bowman is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. The Niners wasted another top 100 draft pick on smashing a round peg into a square hole.

As for McKillop, he is going to be a special teams demon for years, and that adds a ton of value to him.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:

Bowman is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. The Niners wasted another top 100 draft pick on smashing a round peg into a square hole.

As for McKillop, he is going to be a special teams demon for years, and that adds a ton of value to him.

Totally disagree about Bowman, MD. In Fangio's attacking style defense, he fits much better than he did in Manusky's.

Agree about McKillop, but I don't know if he makes the team based just on that ability. We'll have to wait and see what guys look like in preseason, I think. We don't even know what the roster will be yet.
Share 49ersWebzone