LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Am I the only one under-whelmed with our Recievers??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Considering we finally have a coach who knows how to utilize WR's, I'm not underwhelmed at all.
The Niners' offense has been underwhelming as a unit for a while, and everybody is culpable from the coaching staff on down to the players themselves.
Originally posted by classyfan49:
The Niners' offense has been underwhelming as a unit for a while, and everybody is culpable from the coaching staff on down to the players themselves.

Yes, it is hard to judge just the wide receivers with the state of our offense the last few years, or decade.

It does seem like we are missing a piece in our WR corps, an elite wide receiver.
i dont believe crabtree is a pure #1 WR not yet at least but im not exactly underwhelmed it was just our coaching last year
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i dont believe crabtree is a pure #1 WR not yet at least but im not exactly underwhelmed it was just our coaching last year

You can win without a pure #1, if the other receivers, the QB, and the coaching staff are competent.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Yes.

Yes, he is more like the possession guy, who can get the ball in tight situations. He did have a rep for good hands in college. Last year was an anomaly (I hope!) and he should be dependable this year if he can get reps in camp and be ready for game 1. The 9ers still need the speed guy who can stretch the field and take attention off VD and Crabtree. That would make for an entirely different offense. Ginn is not that guy. Morgan may develop but he seems more a complement guy as well. I miss Hill!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
our TE is prob one of the best in nfl

our #2 WR was top 10 in WR production out of all the #2 Wr in the nfl

the problem is our #1 and our slo WR were extremely under whelming

then agin raye and sing were running the offensive show and our passing was limited

Just curious where you found that stat about our #2 WR.

Out of all our skill player's, the only one I want the ball thrown to less in Moran Noris. Morgan Runs like a 20 year veteran.

NFL.com has all the stats. Morgan does take too much crap from you guys, he had numbers well above average for a #2 receiver.

Maybe because VD and Crabs are drawing more coverage enabling Alex to throw to his best friend. I remember Morgan getting far less targets with troy in there

then agin raye and sing were running the offensive show and our passing was limited

Out of all our skill player's, the only one I want the ball thrown to less in Moran Noris. Morgan Runs like a 20 year veteran.

NFL.com has all the stats. Morgan does take too much crap from you guys, he had numbers well above average for a #2 receiver.

Maybe because VD and Crabs are drawing more coverage enabling Alex to throw to his best friend. I remember Morgan getting far less targets with troy in there

vernon was top 3 statistically out of TE and morgan was top 10 statitsically out of #2 WR also i think both of them were top 5 in YPA last year

crabtree just did do well

i dont think it has to do anything with attention because vernon would attract the most and he was one of the best TE in nfl and had a lot of receptions and throws coming his way

so it has to be something else What do morgan and VD have in common?
they practice with alex a lot and crabtree doesnt it doesnt take a detective to figure out that alex needs chemistry with his WR to be successfull and frankly thats not asking a lot

i have poted this many many times but i will do so again
alex to vernon: passer rating of 124
alex to morgan: passer rating of 101.3
alex to crabtree: passer rating of 72.3

Crabtree is nowhere near the point where he's drawing coverage away from other people. He just isn't at that level yet. VD, I can agree with.

-9fA

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Crabtree is nowhere near the point where he's drawing coverage away from other people. He just isn't at that level yet. VD, I can agree with.

-9fA

I agree, im just saying if your a DC or a Safety are your worrying about Morgan or Crabs.

Im just not impressed by Morgan, he reminds me of the Bryon Gilmores of the past. Thank God Sing's gone so I no longer have to see that end around to him anymore
Originally posted by valrod33:
Josh Morgan is fast

4.95 on our team is smoking at WR...

vernon was top 3 statistically out of TE and morgan was top 10 statitsically out of #2 WR also i think both of them were top 5 in YPA last year

crabtree just did do well

i dont think it has to do anything with attention because vernon would attract the most and he was one of the best TE in nfl and had a lot of receptions and throws coming his way

so it has to be something else What do morgan and VD have in common?
they practice with alex a lot and crabtree doesnt it doesnt take a detective to figure out that alex needs chemistry with his WR to be successfull and frankly thats not asking a lot

i have poted this many many times but i will do so again
alex to vernon: passer rating of 124
alex to morgan: passer rating of 101.3
alex to crabtree: passer rating of 72.3

Well said. Another receiver that Alex had a very good chemistry with was Arnaz Battle. Not sure why we didn't retain him since the decision was already made that year to keep Alex. Oh well... it's in the past.

I think Crabtree felt he could just put in the minimal effort and his natural talent would overwhelm the league. He has done alright all things considered, but that early 2010 was a mess... I was wondering if he'd been paid off by the opposition. Harbaugh won't put up with that crap, so we'll see if Crabtree's on his game or not.
I'd say that our Wide Receivers are unproven. At times, both Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan have shown great flashes of ability. Other times, it shows that they're young and need time to mature.
People overrate Morgan's production here. Crabtree was miserable early on in the season, never had a rapport with Alex and Smith targeted Morgan based off of that fact.

Could have stepped in as a number one guy and just like Crabs couldn't do it. I don't think our receiver core is underwhelming with Vernon, Crabs, and Morgan it's more than enough to be average, but there is no top 20 receiver on our roster. Alex is going to have to spread the rock and hope to get Vern, Crabs, and Morgan in the 800-1,000 yard range.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone