LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

How good is the 49ers Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It really depends on how free agency plays out, we are going to lose Franklin in all likelihood to Washington offering him a ridiculous contract. Then there is the question of the secondary, do we go after the guy from the raiders? As I said in an earlier post, it is just too early to tell.
I would say not very good. Our weaknesses definately outweigh our strengths. We are a great run-stopping team, but a weak pash rush and ball skill team. I don't think im saying anything no one else here has seen.

We just have slow players at key positions like safety and corner, so we consistently get beat, especially when we get even a small dose of pressure.

This could be an interesting year as we lose franklin, and then we have aldon smith, and ray mcdonald who will get more playing time. I think this year we will improve greatly on those fronts. Also, lawson is gone...so that opens a whole for either brooks, smith, or bowman to get in there.
Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
The biggest problem with the D was Manusky and his VANILLA schemes and piss poor playcalling, especially in late game situations. His top priority was stopping the run and playing the corners 10-15 yards off the opponents WRs. I watched every game last season and the defense was way more aggressive in the preseason. The Chargers wont have the #1 ranked defense this year with Manusky dialing up vanilla call after vanilla call.

Just playing devil's advocate, but is it possible it's because Spencer is not far removed from an ACL tear and Nate is about as fast as a 3-4 Nose Tackle?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
NFC West = Padded Stats

then so is balt playing against cle and the jets playing against mia

The at our division's out of division W record over the last few years. It is far and away the worst in the NFL.
NFC West = Padded Stats

The at our division's out of division W record over the last few years. It is far and away the worst in the NFL.

And with big question marks for three of the four teams in the division, I expect similar outcomes this year
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
NFC West = Padded Stats

Look at our division's, out of division W record over the last few years. It is far and away the worst in the NFL.

And with big question marks for three of the four teams in the division, I expect similar outcomes this year

LOL.....how did you interpet that horrible post? I logged back on and thought, "did I really write that?"
NFC West = Padded Stats

Look at our division's, out of division W record over the last few years. It is far and away the worst in the NFL.

LOL.....how did you interpet that horrible post? I logged back on and thought, "did I really write that?"

I just thought Buzz hacked your profile.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by stunder49:
PATRICK WILLIS nough said

With a new and improved Taylor Mays....11 wins.

I guess I missed something....new and improved Taylor Mays?

Please aware me.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
NFC West = Padded Stats

Did we ever figure out what country he's from?
Originally posted by aman49:
NFC West = Padded Stats

Did we ever figure out what country he's from?

Mepos, I think.

Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
The biggest problem with the D was Manusky and his VANILLA schemes and piss poor playcalling, especially in late game situations. His top priority was stopping the run and playing the corners 10-15 yards off the opponents WRs. I watched every game last season and the defense was way more aggressive in the preseason. The Chargers wont have the #1 ranked defense this year with Manusky dialing up vanilla call after vanilla call.

Just playing devil's advocate, but is it possible it's because Spencer is not far removed from an ACL tear and Nate is about as fast as a 3-4 Nose Tackle?

when youre slower you wanna play close to the line so you can disruted the route. Playing off gives the WR time to build up speed.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this is a playoff team. cant wait to see what competent coaching can do!

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.

Interesting that you call me a "noob," which could be interpreted as a personal attack, while you go complaining about a personal attack. My comment was loosely based off of the monologue from hamburger hill, and was intentionally absurd in an attempt at humor. If you are really that sensitive to criticism, good luck living a fullfilling life.

Don't sweat Mike, you are new here so you probably aren't familiar with the fact that all he ever has to offer is hyperbolic criticism of said player, usually in the form of a one liner he probably think is clever. Just remember, when it comes to said player, he is everything that is wrong with the team...pretty ridiculous, but that is "big" mike.

It's true though. Which one player on the 49ers the last 7 years has had the most negative impact on the team... Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this is a playoff team. cant wait to see what competent coaching can do!

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.

Interesting that you call me a "noob," which could be interpreted as a personal attack, while you go complaining about a personal attack. My comment was loosely based off of the monologue from hamburger hill, and was intentionally absurd in an attempt at humor. If you are really that sensitive to criticism, good luck living a fullfilling life.

Don't sweat Mike, you are new here so you probably aren't familiar with the fact that all he ever has to offer is hyperbolic criticism of said player, usually in the form of a one liner he probably think is clever. Just remember, when it comes to said player, he is everything that is wrong with the team...pretty ridiculous, but that is "big" mike.

It's true though. Which one player on the 49ers the last 7 years has had the most negative impact on the team... Alex Smith.

That is no big reach mike, there hasn't been but two or three players on the team for the past six years. No one has ever claimed Smith is some prodigy waiting to happen, but many are not so closed minded to think that he is the only problem with the offense either. I personally think the biggest problems have been coaching and pass protection followed by qb play. It hasn't just been Smith though, every qb we have put out there has been inconsistent. That tells me that we have had issues with coaching, and as for the line play, we have ranked in the bottom of the league in that category since the Kwame days. Hopefully with another vet qb and Colin in camp, and a former qb as head coach, one of the qb's on our roster will step up and help us win some games. I really do not care who it is, I pull for anyone that puts on the red and gold.
if we get some dbs and let taylor mays rome freely i think we could do some damage
Originally posted by zainladha:
if we get some dbs and let taylor mays rome freely i think we could do some damage

I don't think Mays has developed the instincts necessary to be effective roaming freely. Not yet, anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone