LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

No doubt in my mind Niners will be SB contenders for 2012 season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Alex missed a season and a half when he hurt his shoulder. Where are some people getting 3 years from?

The same place as those who say he has played for 7 years, maybe?

Smith has played in 54 games in the NFL. That's about 3 and a half seasons. He needs to make substantial improvements this year all around.

Find someone who has said he's played for 7 years.

Alex has been in the league for 6 years. He's started for 3 1/2 years. He still has 6 years of NFL experience. He's played in 5 of 6 seasons. If he was better, he would have played more games.

Injury and being a backup/losing your job does count, you know?

I've seen many people stretch Smith's playing time on this board to emphasize their point - 5 years... 6.... 7.... etc. A lot of that was before your time here.

Don't agree with your blanket statement that "If he was better, he would have played more games." Time lost to injuries, for example, tends to refute that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I think that the OP is overly optimistic, but I do think that the Niners will be a playoff team in 2012.
Sam Bradford scares me too much to assume we will even make the playoffs the next few years.
Alex missed a season and a half when he hurt his shoulder. Where are some people getting 3 years from?

Smith has played in 54 games in the NFL. That's about 3 and a half seasons. He needs to make substantial improvements this year all around.

Alex has been in the league for 6 years. He's started for 3 1/2 years. He still has 6 years of NFL experience. He's played in 5 of 6 seasons. If he was better, he would have played more games.

I've seen many people stretch Smith's playing time on this board to emphasize their point - 5 years... 6.... 7.... etc. A lot of that was before your time here.

Don't agree with your blanket statement that "If he was better, he would have played more games." Time lost to injuries, for example, tends to refute that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I think that the OP is overly optimistic, but I do think that the Niners will be a playoff team in 2012.

If he was better, he would have started the 2009/2010 season. He also would not have been benched for Troy last year.

Alex has played for 6 seasons. I don't see how that's a stretch. Everyone knows he missed a whole season due to injury. He's played every year besides the one year he missed the entire season.

If he was better, he would have started the 2009/2010 season. He also would not have been benched for Troy last year.

Alex has played for 6 seasons. I don't see how that's a stretch. Everyone knows he missed a whole season due to injury. He's played every year besides the one year he missed the entire season.

Can't really blame Sing for starting Hill at the beginning of '09...he won games at the end of '08 and basically got Sing the job.
Originally posted by andes14:

Can't really blame Sing for starting Hill at the beginning of '09...he won games at the end of '08 and basically got Sing the job.

The fact is we haven't had a QB that can consistently put defenses on their heels. Hill started because he was a leader and got Sing the job, but defenses figured him out. Troy replaced Alex, but then was replaced himself because again defenses figured out Troy. As much as it hurts for some to admit Alex was and probably still is the best option at QB until CK has a chance to develop. He may not do it well but he was the only QB that can follow a gameplan and has the physical tools an NFL QB needs.

Now back to the topic at hand... definately in contention for playoffs, but we don't have a chance at a superbowl until a QB gets developed and our secondary learns how to stop the faster receivers of the NFL.
Originally posted by 5280High:

The fact is we haven't had a QB that can consistently put defenses on their heels.

Eh... I don't believe we can really say that. Not gonna keep getting into it, but when defenses are calling your plays pre-snap? You're not gonna have a terribly successful QB. Add to that the Singletary/Nolan mind-set, and you have an offense trying to pound you with force... not even really attempting to confuse defenses (i.e. keep defenses on their heels).
Originally posted by oldman9er:

The fact is we haven't had a QB that can consistently put defenses on their heels.

Eh... I don't believe we can really say that. Not gonna keep getting into it, but when defenses are calling your plays pre-snap? You're not gonna have a terribly successful QB. Add to that the Singletary/Nolan mind-set, and you have an offense trying to pound you with force... not even really attempting to confuse defenses (i.e. keep defenses on their heels).

True, there is only so much a QB can do when he is a) handing it off to gore, or b) facing 3rd and long. I was more referring to the fact that after Garcia left, we havent really had a QB that can consistently dictate the tempo of a game under any coordinator. But youre right didnt mean to derail the thread so moving on..
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Sam Bradford scares me too much to assume we will even make the playoffs the next few years.

I'm only scared of him, becasue even with their 5th string WR's we couldnt cover them with our starters. If we address our secondary, I won't fear bradford. If nothing else they win teh division and we get the last wildcard spot.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

There isn't a single defense that fears Alex Smith. You can blame the OC or the HC or the system all you want. There are other players on O who teams fear and try to "shut down". Vernon and Frank.

Stack the box and let Alex beat you. The whole "teams knew every play that was being called" is far overblown IMO.

Alex has been inconsistent his entire career and yet you are blaming the coaches for that. LOL.

The fact is we haven't had a QB that can consistently put defenses on their heels. Hill started because he was a leader and got Sing the job, but defenses figured him out. Troy replaced Alex, but then was replaced himself because again defenses figured out Troy. As much as it hurts for some to admit Alex was and probably still is the best option at QB until CK has a chance to develop. He may not do it well but he was the only QB that can follow a gameplan and has the physical tools an NFL QB needs.

Now back to the topic at hand... definately in contention for playoffs, but we don't have a chance at a superbowl until a QB gets developed and our secondary learns how to stop the faster receivers of the NFL.

Wow! A post about 49er QBs that neither anoints a savior or labels a loser. No exaggeration, paired with reason, perspective, and logic? Are you sure you are posting in the right place?
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM ]

It only took 6 post from someone to create an AS bashing thread.

Carry on.

Another hijacked thread...
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Another hijacked thread...

I know. So sickening! I just don't get the insane fascination of Alex anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone