LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

No doubt in my mind Niners will be SB contenders for 2012 season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Okie5a:
Originally posted by JayBee:
A couple more points:

Ever thought he might have been part of the reason why they had so many OC's? Just saying.” Kind of like why Urban Meyer went from Utah to Florida . . . . Florida has a national championship because of Alex Smith . . . just saying.

“. . . the issue is Alex was selected 1st overall when he should have been selected far later. With that said, he would not be on this team if he was picked #2. Only reason he's here is because the Yorks have invested a LOT of money in him and wanted to still give him a shot.” If Alex were selected in the 2nd round, he would still be on this team because of his talent and potential – it would be much easier to keep him under contract because they would have had less money invested in him.

It is a results based league, but thank goodness there are people with reason out there who have patience and will cultivate talent - Thanks to Bill Walsh for throwing a life preserver to Steve Young. In a ‘cut throat’ league he may have never made it with another team, but he was given another chance . . . just saying.

I can tell you one thing. Bill Walsh would not be naming Steve Young his starter in year 7 of mediocrity.

Even Bill Walsh failed sometimes. No one's perfect.

It bugs that crap out of me that you can say that Alex Smith has had 7 years to prove himself. three years of injury - of the four other years, first year respectable as a rookie, second year made progress under Turner - two remaining years he definatly needs to do better- under Harbargh he has a shot.

He was injured for 3 years? Really? LOL

Hey, there's no point in me engaging further with you because we both see things quite differently...what's the point?
A couple more points:

Ever thought he might have been part of the reason why they had so many OC's? Just saying.” Kind of like why Urban Meyer went from Utah to Florida . . . . Florida has a national championship because of Alex Smith . . . just saying.

“. . . the issue is Alex was selected 1st overall when he should have been selected far later. With that said, he would not be on this team if he was picked #2. Only reason he's here is because the Yorks have invested a LOT of money in him and wanted to still give him a shot.” If Alex were selected in the 2nd round, he would still be on this team because of his talent and potential – it would be much easier to keep him under contract because they would have had less money invested in him.

It is a results based league, but thank goodness there are people with reason out there who have patience and will cultivate talent - Thanks to Bill Walsh for throwing a life preserver to Steve Young. In a ‘cut throat’ league he may have never made it with another team, but he was given another chance . . . just saying.

I can tell you one thing. Bill Walsh would not be naming Steve Young his starter in year 7 of mediocrity.

It bugs that crap out of me that you can say that Alex Smith has had 7 years to prove himself. three years of injury - of the four other years, first year respectable as a rookie, second year made progress under Turner - two remaining years he definatly needs to do better- under Harbargh he has a shot.

Hey, there's no point in me engaging further with you because we both see things quite differently...what's the point?

Yeah it was only like two years and a few games last year. I sure hope the offensive line is better this year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have huge question marks before we are contenders.

~ QB
~ CB
~ FS
~ SS
~ OLB pass rusher

~ HC - I like Harbaugh a lot but he hasn't proven anything in the pros yet.

Give it a little time.

Realistically looking at it we should be an ascending team from 2013 - 2015. But by then we are looking at having to replace Frank Gore.

The most important things for us would be for Harbaugh to work out and for a QB to step up. The rest will solve itself in a few offseasons of drafting and FA.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have huge question marks before we are contenders.

~ QB
~ CB
~ FS
~ SS
~ OLB pass rusher

~ HC - I like Harbaugh a lot but he hasn't proven anything in the pros yet.

Give it a little time.

Realistically looking at it we should be an ascending team from 2013 - 2015. But by then we are looking at having to replace Frank Gore.

The most important things for us would be for Harbaugh to work out and for a QB to step up. The rest will solve itself in a few offseasons of drafting and FA.

2013 is our year for sure.
A couple more points:

Are you serious? He had a respectable rookie year? Please explain, I would love to hear this....
A couple more points:

Even I would ask that you rephrase that "respectable rookie" part. Everything else, I'm with you on.
Alex missed a season and a half when he hurt his shoulder. Where are some people getting 3 years from?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If Alex can play even at a mediocre level this season, we will easily win the west and possibly a couple playoff games.

Gore, Davis, a rising O-Line, Walker, Hunter, Crabtree... we have the ability to be an extremely dangerous offense.

Originally posted by okdkid:
If Alex can play even at a mediocre level this season, we will easily win the west and possibly a couple playoff games.

Gore, Davis, a rising O-Line, Walker, Hunter, Crabtree... we have the ability to be an extremely dangerous offense.

Defense will be the problem.
Last year smiths numbers would have been good for a rookie. so with a little math we can figure this out. it only took him 6 years to become as competent as a good NFL rookie. We should only have to wait 15-20 more years for him to become real NFL material. As long as he keeps this fast pace he has going we're in great shape. MONEY in the bank! Thats alex smith
Alex missed a season and a half when he hurt his shoulder. Where are some people getting 3 years from?

The same place as those who say he has played for 7 years, maybe?

Smith has played in 54 games in the NFL. That's about 3 and a half seasons. He needs to make substantial improvements this year all around.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

The same place as those who say he has played for 7 years, maybe?

Smith has played in 54 games in the NFL. That's about 3 and a half seasons. He needs to make substantial improvements this year all around.

Find someone who has said he's played for 7 years.

Alex has been in the league for 6 years. He's started for 3 1/2 years. He still has 6 years of NFL experience. He's played in 5 of 6 seasons. If he was better, he would have played more games.

Injury and being a backup/losing your job does count, you know?
Share 49ersWebzone