LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

On NFLN they say he has the itch.. Think Aaron Rodgers
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

Obviously Favre but he's not coming to SF.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Can't say definitively, but Favre doesn't strike me as the "giving" type to have interest in mentoring anyone. If Favre was highly motivated to teach, then I'd choose him, I guess. He's been in the WCO for a long time, and is likely more capable. It's just the willingness that makes me think twice.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Dont say never.. they also said he does know if a nfl team would let him start, so if there was an offer(which for some reason i doubt) he may be interested.... Besides who better other than joe montana to teach him the wtc

Are you guys serious? Favre didn't want to teach Rodgers anything. He's a selfish assh*le and would make a terrible mentor.

People assume he's the reason for Aaron Rodgers' success. Think again.

On the other hand, Alex Smith has done nothing to prove he should be mentoring anyone.

I'd pick neither and go with Jim Harbaugh, who, coincidentally, will be the one doing the mentoring anyway.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Are you guys serious? Favre didn't want to teach Rodgers anything. He's a selfish assh*le and would make a terrible mentor.

On the other hand, Alex Smith has done nothing to prove he should be mentoring anyone.

I'd pick neither and go with Jim Harbaugh, who, coincidentally, will be the one doing the mentoring anyway.

not say that at all.. Alex doesnt know the offense either.. its like the blind leading the blind out there.. At least he could watch someone with a clue and skills though deminished excute and maybe have some fun other ala A. Rodgers now.. All our QB's of late has been dead serious and f'ing up.
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM ]
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday. (Side Note:He reminds me of this one guy who played in Chicago a while back. Had his struggles and was ran out of town. I think he played for the Colts and went to an AFC championship game. Anyways, I hear he's coaching now too)

Watching CK play in college, I really think he has a bit of that gunslinger mentality already...the last I want is for him to be like Favre. I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

I'll be prepared to get flamed for saying all that, but that's how I feel about the guy.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

not say that at all.. Alex doesnt know the offense either.. its like the blind leading the blind out there.. At least he could watch someone with a clue and skills though deminished excute

"Watch" is the key word. He'd just be watching Favre, because Favre wouldn't be helping him - just like he refused to help Rodgers. He can watch any QB he wants to watch on film. That would be just as helpful as someone who refuses to help.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday. (Side Note:He reminds me of this one guy who played in Chicago a while back. Had his struggles and was ran out of town. I think he played for the Colts and went to an AFC championship game. Anyways, I hear he's coaching now too)

Watching CK play in college, I really think he has a bit of that gunslinger mentality already...the last I want is for him to be like Favre. I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

I'll be prepared to get flamed for saying all that, but that's how I feel about the guy.

Coach what Alex doesnt know the offense either... Theyre learning together.... How can he teach?????????

From reports, it sounds like Alex actually does know a lot of the offense or he wouldn't be able to teach the others. He's been quizzing the players and correcting them when they line up improperly... so he does seem to have a good handle on Jim's offense.

(as much as he can have, considering that Harbaugh/Roman say they will be adding and adjusting along the way)
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday.

It's usually the mediocre-to-pretty-good players that do well in coaching. Alex fits the description. The only top-flight QB that I think has a for-sure future in coaching is Peyton Manning because he's pretty much a coach already.

I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

I agree almost completely about Favre. The only statement I disagree with is the one about Favre at his best being better than anyone else at their best. Montana at his best >>>> Favre. Young too. There's probably 10 or more other QBs I'd say are better at their best than Favre at his best. On top of that, Favre was inconsistent even at his best.
Jim Harbaugh

What do you expect, he was exposed to Crabs and VD all last week.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM ]

Coach what Alex doesnt know the offense either... Theyre learning together.... How can he teach?????????

How do you figure Favre would have a better understanding of HARBAUGH's offense? He'd be learning it, too. Just because it's West Coast Offense-based doesn't mean Favre automatically knows and understands it. All versions of it are different.
Share 49ersWebzone