Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What was a bigger problem last year?

What was a bigger problem last year?

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
nolan was good

he knew his x's and 0's (to a point) problem is that the players didnt really respect him

its almost the exact same scenario as dallas and wade pjillips he knows his x's and 0's as well just no diciple and respect were commanded by both

as i have said many times take nolans smarts and sing discipline and motivational tecqniques we may have the best defensive minded HC in the nfl
Nolan's biggest individual problem was his "my way or the highway" approach. He was very good about the mechanics of defense but not very insightful. He did not seem to have the ability to adjust things during the game to counter what opponents threw at him. That lacking became apparent to the players and they lost confidence.

Singletary came along and held much the same dogmatic view of things. The result was what we have all suffered from the past 8 years.

I would like to add that Nolan also sorely lacked expertise on the offensive side of the ball. He didn't have a vision as to what he wanted on offense and all too often it seemed that he was just content with giving the keys to the offense to his coordinator.

Furthermore, his playcalling was questionable and not nearly as aggressive for my likes. I remember him forgoing several 4th down calls for the safer option.

-9fA

A defensive guy isn't going to be an offensive dynamo. I have no issue with him giving the OC the keys. A lot of the greats do that.
Coaching
Originally posted by JayBee:
nolan was good

he knew his x's and 0's (to a point) problem is that the players didnt really respect him

its almost the exact same scenario as dallas and wade pjillips he knows his x's and 0's as well just no diciple and respect were commanded by both

as i have said many times take nolans smarts and sing discipline and motivational tecqniques we may have the best defensive minded HC in the nfl
Nolan's biggest individual problem was his "my way or the highway" approach. He was very good about the mechanics of defense but not very insightful. He did not seem to have the ability to adjust things during the game to counter what opponents threw at him. That lacking became apparent to the players and they lost confidence.

Singletary came along and held much the same dogmatic view of things. The result was what we have all suffered from the past 8 years.

I would like to add that Nolan also sorely lacked expertise on the offensive side of the ball. He didn't have a vision as to what he wanted on offense and all too often it seemed that he was just content with giving the keys to the offense to his coordinator.

Furthermore, his playcalling was questionable and not nearly as aggressive for my likes. I remember him forgoing several 4th down calls for the safer option.

-9fA

A defensive guy isn't going to be an offensive dynamo. I have no issue with him giving the OC the keys. A lot of the greats do that.

True and nor do I expect them to be. However, I got the impression that Nolan had close to zero knowledge and vision of what he wanted on offense. Also, his in-game 4th down decisions on offense were particularly awful.

The point that I'm trying to make is that in my opinion, Nolan needed a great offensive guru to complement him more so than other defensive HCs.

-9fA
Originally posted by JayBee:
nolan was good

-9fA

True and nor do I expect them to be. However, I got the impression that Nolan had close to zero knowledge and vision of what he wanted on offense. Also, his in-game 4th down decisions on offense were particularly awful.

The point that I'm trying to make is that in my opinion, Nolan needed a great offensive guru to complement him more so than other defensive HCs.

-9fA
Nolan needed a strong personality on offense to balance his personality. IMO, Martz would have been if they had been given time to make the appropriate adjustments. Martz had his best years as OC with Dick Vermeil at St Louis. Vermeil was strong enough to not allow Martz to go crazy with this offense and Martz was strong enough not to allow Vermeil to push him into a box. So while I'm not saying Nolan = Vermeil, it was the kind of chemistry that Nolan needed to succeed.
nolan was good

-9fA

Defensive minded HCs often mistrust QBs. They want the QBs to manage the game not to lose, rather than agressively to win. This is understandable as they think the D will win the game.

So, no QB has been treated as trustworthy by Nolan or Singletary. They said the right things to the press but then undermined the QBs when things were tight...such as not going for it on 4th and one from the thirty five. Or yelling at the QB when they come off the field instead of teaching/coaching in the moment.

But that is all in the past and I am waiting impatiently for football!

Edit: And I agree that a strong willed offensive leader to balance either may have saved their jobs. Just not the round robin change every year deal they wound up with.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:32 AM ]
The equipment manager. I'm convinced all the cups were a size too small and that's what caused our poor performance.
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
Coaching

Alex Smith
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
Coaching

Alex Smith

You