LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

DB coach Donatell expects Mays to "spike."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Thanks guys I'll try my best

good luck this year Mays....
He's a fairly good special teams player.
Originally posted by JD81:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/10/11/Donatell-faces-challenge-to-train-young-/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=520195&feedID=5936

Makes me happy to see....Mays is by far the most physically-gifted safety we have, and Donatell is perhaps the best in the game at coaching up DBs....

Seeing that he EXPECTS Taylor to step up and make big strides is great to see...

Thoughts?

Good read
I'll believe it when I see it. I like Donatell but have no faith in Mays.

And for the record, he really didn't say jack about Mays specifically.

He said the second year is when "lots of young guys have a spike", and the Mays should see a spike "in this system.

He talked about second year players in general and a belief in his system. He really had nothing specific or concrete to say about Mays. (Not that he could, having not really worked with him yet.)

So this article makes in interested in seeing what Donatell can do, but inspires to confidence about Mays.
I actually think Mays will be much improved this year. I don't think he's a very instinctual player, but physically he's off the charts.

Under Manusky, the two safeties were interchangable. Mays was very often forced to pay in space...playing center field. Thats simply not his strength.

I think Fangio will play him much closer to the line in a more clasic Strong Safety position.

While Mays may never be a "playmaker", ya gotta love the guy because he's so physically gifted and he is willing to work at it. He will put in the time and effort to try to WILL himself to be great.

The whole thing last year after te draft was misunderstood. He wasn't upset that Carroll didn't select him. He know Thomas was considered a better player. He was upset because he had been asking Carroll what he could do to improve as a player and Carroll kept telling him "keep doing what you're doing". He wanted to improve. He wanted to do everything he could.

You really can't ask a guy for more than that.
It looks like Mays is still in the picture then, great to hear. The dude just needs a chance. 3yrs to coach up somebody at the position so he should improve on last year but still a work in progress.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I'll believe it when I see it. I like Donatell but have no faith in Mays.

And for the record, he really didn't say jack about Mays specifically.

He said the second year is when "lots of young guys have a spike", and the Mays should see a spike "in this system.

He talked about second year players in general and a belief in his system. He really had nothing specific or concrete to say about Mays. (Not that he could, having not really worked with him yet.)

So this article makes in interested in seeing what Donatell can do, but inspires to confidence about Mays.
49er coaching has been such a joke overall that we should expect a lot of young players like Mays to play well above where they have the past two years.
too bad texasniner. you seemed to be frustrated.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Taylor keep working hard. YOu will prove the nay sayers wrong.

i don't think he visits the zone.
lol, this reminds of something that happened this past weekend. My little brother posted on facebook Happy Mothers day Mom, I love you

I commented on his post. Dude, Mom doesnt have a facebook account
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Taylor keep working hard. YOu will prove the nay sayers wrong.

i don't think he visits the zone.
lol, this reminds of something that happened this past weekend. My little brother posted on facebook Happy Mothers day Mom, I love you

I commented on his post. Dude, Mom doesnt have a facebook account

create a fake account for your mom and message him that you are her favorite and he needs to stop kissing ass

Originally posted by Marvin49:
I actually think Mays will be much improved this year. I don't think he's a very instinctual player, but physically he's off the charts.

Under Manusky, the two safeties were interchangable. Mays was very often forced to pay in space...playing center field. Thats simply not his strength.

I think Fangio will play him much closer to the line in a more clasic Strong Safety position.

While Mays may never be a "playmaker", ya gotta love the guy because he's so physically gifted and he is willing to work at it. He will put in the time and effort to try to WILL himself to be great.

The whole thing last year after te draft was misunderstood. He wasn't upset that Carroll didn't select him. He know Thomas was considered a better player. He was upset because he had been asking Carroll what he could do to improve as a player and Carroll kept telling him "keep doing what you're doing". He wanted to improve. He wanted to do everything he could.

In today's NFL he has to play in space. You can't play him close to the line when teams are coming with 4 wr sets all day. The end the box only safety is pretty much gone minus Adrian Wilson. You have to be able to do both and the safety positions should be interchangeable. That's what makes the Packers defense work. The majority of their secondary is interchangeable. I would expect this coaching staff puts him better situations where he can be in the box, but he won't be on the field much as an only in the box safety. Maybe they have some hybrid position for him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

In today's NFL he has to play in space. You can't play him close to the line when teams are coming with 4 wr sets all day. The end the box only safety is pretty much gone minus Adrian Wilson. You have to be able to do both and the safety positions should be interchangeable. That's what makes the Packers defense work. The majority of their secondary is interchangeable. I would expect this coaching staff puts him better situations where he can be in the box, but he won't be on the field much as an only in the box safety. Maybe they have some hybrid position for him.

You know Fangio will come up with something. The other thing about Mays that some forget is the fact that he truly is one of the hardest workers out there. He won't settle. Sure, that doesn't compensate for his lack of innate ability. But if you have some, you can develop it if you work hard at it.

Therefore, I fully expect Mays to be different this year. I see him maturing into his brand new role, whatever that may be. However, he will be one of the top S if and only if, he can reach that potential.

Only hope is does "spike" this year.
Can't teach instincts, and can't teach the ability to flip those hips in coverage. Mays has great straightline speed. If we ever have a relay race, we should be in good shape. As for a guy who is going to be solid in this league, or even a starter for more than a few games or years, call me king of the skeptics.

Didn't the Niners attend the Senior Bowl week practice where scouts thought so poorly of Mays' ability to cover that they suggested it may be best for him to move to LB? Didn't they watch his tape at USC where he often took bad angles, and reacted poorly as to run himself out of plays.

Mays will join "Beast Mode" in our scrapheap of second round "Bust Modes".
Well, better to describe his improving abilities by using "spike" rather than "climax".
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Can't teach instincts, and can't teach the ability to flip those hips in coverage. Mays has great straightline speed. If we ever have a relay race, we should be in good shape. As for a guy who is going to be solid in this league, or even a starter for more than a few games or years, call me king of the skeptics.

Didn't the Niners attend the Senior Bowl week practice where scouts thought so poorly of Mays' ability to cover that they suggested it may be best for him to move to LB? Didn't they watch his tape at USC where he often took bad angles, and reacted poorly as to run himself out of plays.

Mays will join "Beast Mode" in our scrapheap of second round "Bust Modes".

Ok first of all..flipping the hips in coverage is something that can be taught to a safety...its a technique that can be practice and is something young safties develop over time.

Second...instincts? r u kidding me? if anything Mays has nothing but instincts much like our beloved hall of famer, Ronnie Lott. He has good timing and can cover his side of his field, not too mention his big hitting ability

Thirdly...u cant put too much attention on the senior bowl given that defenses are playing in different schemes and formations that they only got to learn in one week with completely different teammates

Fourthly...Mays is gonna be a beast (next ronnie lott) and you need to do some more researching before putting down a player like Mays. ok maddog?
Share 49ersWebzone