LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Who else were you happy to see BECOME a 49er, but now wish they never were...?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

this

I'd have to say this
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
singeltary

this

I'd have to say this

...then
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by English:

Nuts? What, you dont believe my story or you dont believe people change?

And where does Ricky Watters fit into your theory?

Ah nuts, I'm sorry about the confusion regarding my use of the term "nuts."

I certainly did not mean to imply that you were nuts, nor did I mean to doubt the veracity of your anecdote.

Your anecdote jived with newspaper reports that described Owens as a very decent kid. That's why I said "nuts." As I mentioned in my second post, it would be so much easier to toss TO in the dumpster, along with Haley, if he didn't start out as such a good kid. You described the Terrell Owens that I found so promising, not the TO that I was happy to see leave the team.

As for Waters, I never had a use for the man and you're right to bring him up as another crack in the wall. But I'm willing to give him his bona fides: he was outstanding in the flat, very difficult to tackle, and the poor SOB had to run sweep left a lot more than was good for him.

Beyond that, though, I don't have much use for Ricky Waters.

Huh? Have you ever actually watched any of these players, or is this just a case of revisionist history?

First off, the title of the thread is about players you wish never were a 49er. You seriously wish Terell Owens was never a 49er because he ran his mouth later in his career? So just throw away the Catch II and breaking the single game receiving record, because he says what's on his mind? Toss him in the dumpster...along with Charles Haley? Who was never really a 49er and quickly left? You mean the same Charles Haley the 49ers drafted? The one that was here for 6 seasons (quickly left?) and was an all-pro in Bill Walsh's defense? The one that had double digit sacks several times for us...and can you remember the last time a 49er had double digit sacks, let alone SIXTEEN in a season? So Haly is trash because he didn't get along with George Siefert? Well Steve Young tried to get into a fist fight with Siefert once, so should he be thrown into the trash too?

And wow, Ricky Watters...the kid who was so unselfish he actually later thanked Lou Holtz for playing him at WR so much (a move some thought cost Watters a shot at the Heisman) because it made him a much better player. The kid who thanked Lou Holtz for having him return kicks/punts, because it made him a more valuable team player in the NFL? A kid that in preaseason got tackled, flipped back onto his feet, and did a spin move going back to the huddle - because he was having fun and happy to be on the field? So you had no use for a 1,000 yard runner that could catch better than any WR on our team right now, someone who scored 3 TD's in the Super Bowl...because he developed a poor attitude AFTER he left the 49ers? Do you even realize why he got that attitude? Becasue his steller play and work ethic got him a contract offer from the 49ers that was WAY BELOW market value! Blame the 49ers for the "For what, for who" line because that was who it was directed at. Oh, and do you remember how long it took the 49ers to find another running back as good as Watters? Oh yeah, they still haven't!

Yeah you're right, wish NONE of those guys had ever been 49ers.

Garrison Hearst?

Charlie Garner, Gore...

Watters was a great RB, but lets not forget the Niners teams he was on were stacked.

Maybe its just me but aside from 1 or two seasons where we had the Lawrence Phillips experiment , and Barlow as a starter... RB has never really been an issue with this team.

Edited: my memory isnt as good as the RDB's, Steve young probably made me forget about the immediate post-Watters years.

I still believe Ricky Watters was the best RB we've had since Craig.

And I include Gore in that convo as well. Watters was AMAZING, and people s**t on him now for reasons I understand, but do not agree with.
Really don't recall any negatives about Watters. He could do it all!
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
singeltary

this

I'd have to say this

...then

Went from ecstatic to complete dissapointment in his first 6 games of his non-interim coaching tenure. Became pretty evident that he was unfit as a coach in just that short of time.

Motivation only lasts for so long, at some point people will figure out youre all talk.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Alex the Virus Smith... I can't believe we have to endure another season of him.
Chilo Rachal. I thought he was going to be decent, but damn was i wrong.
Lawrence phillips, I wasn't happy he was a niner but thought we might be able to get him to return to his college form...

Then he killed steve young by missing a block... and ushered in the Ice Age for the 49ers.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM ]

singletary was raw at 1st ... then idk he became act like straight b***h ... nice we got harbagh ... imo we need lockout to stop
Originally posted by ReverendRashad15:
singletary was raw at 1st ... then idk he became act like straight b***h ... nice we got harbagh ... imo we need lockout to stop
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Ken Dorsey
Rasahun Woods
Jonas Jennings

Was never excited about Alex Smith wanted Rodgers from the beggining when Mayock pointed out all the reasons Rodgers would be a better qb down the line.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
O.J. Simpson, I was too young of an NFL fan to realize running backs expire at 30.
I'll add a new one.. Mike Martz. I thought FINALLY we're going to do some crazy awesome offense. Martz never had a QB with natural skill like Alex. Everyone else was undrafted or low round players. Martz never had a TE like Davis. Instead Martz just gave us a rediculous amount of sacks and same old offense. Man, that was suprising. I expected so much more.
Share 49ersWebzone