LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Who else were you happy to see BECOME a 49er, but now wish they never were...?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Nuts? What, you dont believe my story or you dont believe people change?

And where does Ricky Watters fit into your theory?

Ah nuts, I'm sorry about the confusion regarding my use of the term "nuts."

I certainly did not mean to imply that you were nuts, nor did I mean to doubt the veracity of your anecdote.

Your anecdote jived with newspaper reports that described Owens as a very decent kid. That's why I said "nuts." As I mentioned in my second post, it would be so much easier to toss TO in the dumpster, along with Haley, if he didn't start out as such a good kid. You described the Terrell Owens that I found so promising, not the TO that I was happy to see leave the team.

As for Waters, I never had a use for the man and you're right to bring him up as another crack in the wall. But I'm willing to give him his bona fides: he was outstanding in the flat, very difficult to tackle, and the poor SOB had to run sweep left a lot more than was good for him.

Beyond that, though, I don't have much use for Ricky Waters.

Huh? Have you ever actually watched any of these players, or is this just a case of revisionist history?

First off, the title of the thread is about players you wish never were a 49er. You seriously wish Terell Owens was never a 49er because he ran his mouth later in his career? So just throw away the Catch II and breaking the single game receiving record, because he says what's on his mind? Toss him in the dumpster...along with Charles Haley? Who was never really a 49er and quickly left? You mean the same Charles Haley the 49ers drafted? The one that was here for 6 seasons (quickly left?) and was an all-pro in Bill Walsh's defense? The one that had double digit sacks several times for us...and can you remember the last time a 49er had double digit sacks, let alone SIXTEEN in a season? So Haly is trash because he didn't get along with George Siefert? Well Steve Young tried to get into a fist fight with Siefert once, so should he be thrown into the trash too?

And wow, Ricky Watters...the kid who was so unselfish he actually later thanked Lou Holtz for playing him at WR so much (a move some thought cost Watters a shot at the Heisman) because it made him a much better player. The kid who thanked Lou Holtz for having him return kicks/punts, because it made him a more valuable team player in the NFL? A kid that in preaseason got tackled, flipped back onto his feet, and did a spin move going back to the huddle - because he was having fun and happy to be on the field? So you had no use for a 1,000 yard runner that could catch better than any WR on our team right now, someone who scored 3 TD's in the Super Bowl...because he developed a poor attitude AFTER he left the 49ers? Do you even realize why he got that attitude? Becasue his steller play and work ethic got him a contract offer from the 49ers that was WAY BELOW market value! Blame the 49ers for the "For what, for who" line because that was who it was directed at. Oh, and do you remember how long it took the 49ers to find another running back as good as Watters? Oh yeah, they still haven't!

Yeah you're right, wish NONE of those guys had ever been 49ers.

Garrison Hearst?

Charlie Garner, Gore...

Watters was a great RB, but lets not forget the Niners teams he was on were stacked.

Maybe its just me but aside from 1 or two seasons where we had the Lawrence Phillips experiment , and Barlow as a starter... RB has never really been an issue with this team.

Edited: my memory isnt as good as the RDB's, Steve young probably made me forget about the immediate post-Watters years.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 26, 2011 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Nuts? What, you dont believe my story or you dont believe people change?

And where does Ricky Watters fit into your theory?

Ah nuts, I'm sorry about the confusion regarding my use of the term "nuts."

I certainly did not mean to imply that you were nuts, nor did I mean to doubt the veracity of your anecdote.

Your anecdote jived with newspaper reports that described Owens as a very decent kid. That's why I said "nuts." As I mentioned in my second post, it would be so much easier to toss TO in the dumpster, along with Haley, if he didn't start out as such a good kid. You described the Terrell Owens that I found so promising, not the TO that I was happy to see leave the team.

As for Waters, I never had a use for the man and you're right to bring him up as another crack in the wall. But I'm willing to give him his bona fides: he was outstanding in the flat, very difficult to tackle, and the poor SOB had to run sweep left a lot more than was good for him.

Beyond that, though, I don't have much use for Ricky Waters.

Huh? Have you ever actually watched any of these players, or is this just a case of revisionist history?

First off, the title of the thread is about players you wish never were a 49er. You seriously wish Terell Owens was never a 49er because he ran his mouth later in his career? So just throw away the Catch II and breaking the single game receiving record, because he says what's on his mind? Toss him in the dumpster...along with Charles Haley? Who was never really a 49er and quickly left? You mean the same Charles Haley the 49ers drafted? The one that was here for 6 seasons (quickly left?) and was an all-pro in Bill Walsh's defense? The one that had double digit sacks several times for us...and can you remember the last time a 49er had double digit sacks, let alone SIXTEEN in a season? So Haly is trash because he didn't get along with George Siefert? Well Steve Young tried to get into a fist fight with Siefert once, so should he be thrown into the trash too?

And wow, Ricky Watters...the kid who was so unselfish he actually later thanked Lou Holtz for playing him at WR so much (a move some thought cost Watters a shot at the Heisman) because it made him a much better player. The kid who thanked Lou Holtz for having him return kicks/punts, because it made him a more valuable team player in the NFL? A kid that in preaseason got tackled, flipped back onto his feet, and did a spin move going back to the huddle - because he was having fun and happy to be on the field? So you had no use for a 1,000 yard runner that could catch better than any WR on our team right now, someone who scored 3 TD's in the Super Bowl...because he developed a poor attitude AFTER he left the 49ers? Do you even realize why he got that attitude? Becasue his steller play and work ethic got him a contract offer from the 49ers that was WAY BELOW market value! Blame the 49ers for the "For what, for who" line because that was who it was directed at. Oh, and do you remember how long it took the 49ers to find another running back as good as Watters? Oh yeah, they still haven't!

Yeah you're right, wish NONE of those guys had ever been 49ers.

Garrison Hearst?

Hearst was great for us, and certainy deserves mention. But there was Terry Kirby and Derek Loville before Hearst got here - while Watters went on to have 1,000+ rushing yards and 1500+ combined yards in six straight seasons. Hearst had one good year, then a GREAT year...then missed two seasons with injury. Then one more good year, before fading on us.

My point is, people only remember Watters for the "For who, for what" comment". They forget it was the way the Niners treated him that caused that attitude, and they forget how badly the 49ers suffered because of it. I remember the years of Derek Loville after, and Dexter Carter before - so I will always appreciate what Watters brought to the 49ers, and wish the front office would have appreciated him more.
Mike Rumph and Dana Hall are my two.

I was desperate i watched the 9ers Giants game from 2003, on the NFL Network just to get my fix. Boy TO was a great player for us. Zack Bronson was a very weak link so was Mike Rumph, but the pass rush came up big when it needed to. And its was fun to watch JP and Shockey battle.

I got to thinking while watching that game the current receivers we have don’t get a lot of YAC or RAC like TO. Josh Morgan always gets caught from behind and how will Crabtree perfect his rout running, timing will be very important this year I pray its not a bunch of sputtering drives 3 and outs. But maybe we can land a better wide out. I know fellow 49er fan Brandon Marshall has problems head case , but I think he would be a better fit. Then Crabtree but my opinion. So Crabs Maybe...
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Rashaun Woods.

he was a monster in college, complete beast. and such a huge flop in the NFL.

That describes JJ Stokes to a T. But, I was not happy to see Woods become a 49er because I was screaming for us to pick Vince Wilfork.
I really dont get the hate for Nate Clements. Sure, his paycheck is higher than it should be, but the guy is a big reason that the Cardinals have not been able to pass on our D. He is also a big reason why our run defense is so good.

The biggest problem with Nate is that he needs a safety that knows how to be deeper than the deepest man on the field. Our safeties have been big hitters when the opportunities come, but they are just as much, if not more, to blame.
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabtree
Lawson

hater. both good players.
Gabe Wilkens

Its DONAHUE! There is no programme can help me. Beyond redemption. Its like admitting to having been in the Adolph Hitler fan club when you were young, or being penpals with Saddam Hussein, or you used to go on holiday with Osama Bin Laden. Or you once said something nice about Margaret Thatcher. Thankfully I never said anything nice about Thatch, but I am still ashamed to have supported TDon.

That made me laugh, good stuff!
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

this
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Rashaun Woods.

he was a monster in college, complete beast. and such a huge flop in the NFL.

That describes JJ Stokes to a T. But, I was not happy to see Woods become a 49er because I was screaming for us to pick Vince Wilfork.

In all fairness to JJ Stokes, don't say he was the same as Rashaun Woods. JJ Stokes did not live up to expectations, but give him old stone-hands Stokes some credit.

They say year three is a pretty good representation as to what a receiver in the NFL will produce:

JJ Stokes: G-16 R-58 YD-733 TD-4
Crabtree: ???

If Crabs doesn't stop playing volleyball this year, instead of catching passes that hit him in the hands, I will be all
[ Edited by DertyDonahue on May 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM ]

Alex Smith
Dorsey cuz Im a Canes fan
Alex Smith
Nate Clements
Singletary
Jim Burt.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by newjersey24:
Mike Nolan ( I was amped up thinking the type of B-more Defense but with a better Offense with Alex Smith.

Clements
Barry Sims

What is with the DC of the Ravens? No matter who they plug-in there, the defense is still tops.

Marvin Lewis, Nolan, Romeo Crennel and Rex Ryan all got HC positions from being the Ravens DC.

I thought Romeo Crennel got the Cleveland job after being the Patriots DC?
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Jim Burt.

A cheap pick up. Part of a Superbowl winning team. Why the hate?
Share 49ersWebzone