LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Who else were you happy to see BECOME a 49er, but now wish they never were...?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
J.J. Stokes, Antonio Langham, and Josh Morgan.

Stokes was ok. If you forget the draft picks

didnt the 96 first rounder involved in his trade become ray lewis?
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
J.J. Stokes, Antonio Langham, and Josh Morgan.

Why Morgan? For a 6th round pick he is as solid as you could expect. He's also outproduced the majority of receivers ranked ahead of him in that draft like Sweed, Thomas, Hardy, Kelly, etc.

NFL.com's top 15 WR's of that draft... there are only a few that have out produced Morgan.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d807bdfdb/article/drafts-top-wide-receivers
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Singletary

I was on that kool aid bad

Yep.

(Dis)Honorable mentions:

Ken Dorsey
Rashaun Woods

The following are guys I wish never were Niners, but I was never happy to see them BECOME Niners, either:

Kentwaan Balmer (should have picked DeSean Jackson)
Chilo Rachal (should have picked DeSean Jackson)
Alex Smith (I wasn't THAT upset when he was selected for the simple fact we had no QB, even though I wanted Rodgers - but I became a big Alex supporter until he began to prove he just doesn't have it)
Kwame Harris (never liked the pick and he wound up ruining many good plays)
Tully Banta-Cain (backup player who got pumped up by the coaches, but everyone knew he sucked)
Giovanni Carmazzi (no, I didn't know Brady would be what he is, I just didn't like Carmazzi)

There's a lot more, but I'm too lazy to list them right now.

wierd how Tully is a beast in N.E.

Coaching and schemes play a big part in players' success.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex Smith. Nice guy, not a good quarterback.

49ers OLine: has 5 players, but non can block a cold.

The 49ers OL under Singletary did a decent job in run blocking. No QB can be successful with the kind of pass protection it provides. The Packers OL had weaknesses too, but its WCO schemes helped the QB (Rodgers and his backup) tremendously.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

this.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

this.

Big time.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Chilo Rachal and Jonas Jennings.

The Jennings signing made it look like the new coach had a plan. He didn't.
I've been watching this thread for a while now and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Terrell Owens. When he first joined the team he was a quiet, nose to the grind stone kinda guy. In particular, I remember being highly impressed by a Mercury News article mentioning that Owens had been taken under John Taylor's wing and that Owens was earnestly trying to emulate Taylor's blue collar approach to the game: nose clean, mouth shut, let your playing do the talking for you, no BS.

It still puzzles and saddens me that Terrell Owens, the guy that started his career devoted to John Taylor's team first, never trust the media approach to football could devolve into TO the team-destroying, QB-killing, circus freak.

It was pitiable to see that much potential squandered so prodigiously. Most of all, it was relief to finally see him leave the team.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I've been watching this thread for a while now and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Terrell Owens. When he first joined the team he was a quiet, nose to the grind stone kinda guy. In particular, I remember being highly impressed by a Mercury News article mentioning that Owens had been taken under John Taylor's wing and that Owens was earnestly trying to emulate Taylor's blue collar approach to the game: nose clean, mouth shut, let your playing do the talking for you, no BS.

It still puzzles and saddens me that Terrell Owens, the guy that started his career devoted to John Taylor's team first, never trust the media approach to football could devolve into TO the team-destroying, QB-killing, circus freak.

It was pitiable to see that much potential squandered so prodigiously. Most of all, it was relief to finally see him leave the team.

I was in touch with the guy who ran one of the stateside booster clubs around then, and he told me once how they managed to get TO along to one of their get togethers. He said TO was a really nice, polite young man but painfully shy. Like, they barely got a word out of him.

How people change
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Chilo Rachal and Jonas Jennings.

The Jennings signing made it look like the new coach had a plan. He didn't.

I remember that. Terrible signing.

I was in touch with the guy who ran one of the stateside booster clubs around then, and he told me once how they managed to get TO along to one of their get togethers. He said TO was a really nice, polite young man but painfully shy. Like, they barely got a word out of him.

How people change

Nuts.

It's so tempting to forget about Terrell Owens while rushing to toss TO into the Charles Haley bin, just a certifiable psychopath that briefly played for the Niners.

Reprising the "turning points in Niners' history" thread, I suppose the transformation from Terrell Owens into TO must be acknowledged as a dubious milepost. Ken Norton quickly became a Niner, Haley never was and soon left. Deon Sanders was a mercenary, but Owens was the first Hall of Fame caliber talent that the Niners' dynastic era failed to shape into a Niner.

It's a pity that the Niners weren't able to draft Owens three years earlier. Were that so, I'm sure he'd be a shoe-in for the hall of fame, rather than a train wreck.

While we're reprising other threads, I don't have much sympathy for Glenn Coffee--but I find it difficult to discount his contention that the NFL doesn't ruin lives. I'd say Terrell Owens is an in extremis example of that limited, but noteworthy, phenomenon.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

How people change

Nuts.

It's so tempting to forget about Terrell Owens while rushing to toss TO into the Charles Haley bin, just a certifiable psychopath that briefly played for the Niners.

Reprising the "turning points in Niners' history" thread, I suppose the transformation from Terrell Owens into TO must be acknowledged as a dubious milepost. Ken Norton quickly became a Niner, Haley never was and soon left. Deon Sanders was a mercenary, but Owens was the first Hall of Fame caliber talent that the Niners' dynastic era failed to shape into a Niner.

It's a pity that the Niners weren't able to draft Owens three years earlier. Were that so, I'm sure he'd be a shoe-in for the hall of fame, rather than a train wreck.

While we're reprising other threads, I don't have much sympathy for Glenn Coffee--but I find it difficult to discount his contention that the NFL doesn't ruin lives. I'd say Terrell Owens is an in extremis example of that limited, but noteworthy, phenomenon.

Nuts? What, you dont believe my story or you dont believe people change?

And where does Ricky Watters fit into your theory?
Brandon Lloyd. He's killing it in Denver but when we had him he was a football dodging machine. Yeah he had some creat catches and maybe he didn't fit our system, but it sucks seeing him rack up all those yards now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nate Clements. Piece of s**t.

Nuts? What, you dont believe my story or you dont believe people change?

And where does Ricky Watters fit into your theory?

Ah nuts, I'm sorry about the confusion regarding my use of the term "nuts."

I certainly did not mean to imply that you were nuts, nor did I mean to doubt the veracity of your anecdote.

Your anecdote jived with newspaper reports that described Owens as a very decent kid. That's why I said "nuts." As I mentioned in my second post, it would be so much easier to toss TO in the dumpster, along with Haley, if he didn't start out as such a good kid. You described the Terrell Owens that I found so promising, not the TO that I was happy to see leave the team.

As for Waters, I never had a use for the man and you're right to bring him up as another crack in the wall. But I'm willing to give him his bona fides: he was outstanding in the flat, very difficult to tackle, and the poor SOB had to run sweep left a lot more than was good for him.

Beyond that, though, I don't have much use for Ricky Waters.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on May 22, 2011 at 5:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone