There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many sacks will Aldon Smith have in his rookie season?

How many sacks will Aldon Smith have in his rookie season?

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The square root of 49!

-7?

Aldon Smith. Takes sacks away.

-9fA

im sure he meant absolute value

No, no...I like the fact that Aldon can take sacks away. Like a BOSS!

Seriously though, he can surpass Manny's rookie totals easily because Fangio will use him appropriately. Forget dropping back, let that fall on the shoulders of those that have been doing it in the past. Sure, maybe a few times to keep the O honest, but Aldon's main responsibility is to get after the QB from different locations. Fangio will use his other back seven to position around Aldon for attacks and also ensure the protection from the front three.

I can see Smith and Smith being terrors from the same side.

Justin and Aldon, the Mizzu Misery!

I'm getting myself too excited.

Good posts.

BTW: Given the number of times we saw Aldon rush inside the tackles for "immediate" pressure, imagine how effective he would be on an inside blitz WITH Willis. Good Lord! If nothing else, it would free Justin Smith and Brooks for single blocking which is an easy mismatch in our favor. The more Fangio moves him around to create mismatches, the more the offense will have to adjust and account for him, which as we know, will truly open up things for our closers! You'll probably see Sopoaga pushing up field more this year as well. I think if used properly, he may end up being a big surprise to fans around here.
Originally posted by cools:
So many times ive seen Justin Smith force the QB to scramble out to the right,
Unfortunately, we often didnt have enough pressure coming off the left edge
Alot of missed oppurtunites for easy sacks

Baalke said A.Smith will likely play Sam, I could see him racking up some big sack numbers if Justin continues to create havoc from the other side

I'll go with 10

BTW: This is a VERY good point and exactly why the team drafted Aldon and will let Lawson walk.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The square root of 49!

-7?

-9fA

Seriously though, he can surpass Manny's rookie totals easily because Fangio will use him appropriately. Forget dropping back, let that fall on the shoulders of those that have been doing it in the past. Sure, maybe a few times to keep the O honest, but Aldon's main responsibility is to get after the QB from different locations. Fangio will use his other back seven to position around Aldon for attacks and also ensure the protection from the front three.

Good posts.

BTW: Given the number of times we saw Aldon rush inside the tackles for "immediate" pressure, imagine how effective he would be on an inside blitz WITH Willis. Good Lord! If nothing else, it would free Justin Smith and Brooks for single blocking which is an easy mismatch in our favor. The more Fangio moves him around to create mismatches, the more the offense will have to adjust and account for him, which as we know, will truly open up things for our closers! You'll probably see Sopoaga pushing up field more this year as well. I think if used properly, he may end up being a big surprise to fans around here.

I know N!!! This just makes my mouth water for the season to start just so we can see this lineup. Justin Smith stunts well too.

It seems to me that Fangio truly has the toys to make his plays work. He can maneuver the players around given certain O formations, reacting to what down and distance they have.

Still, I would love to have Willis blitz the middle with Aldo stunting inside, Spikes/Bowman dropping back, with a corner blitz on the edge while the front three pressure.

And that's just one scenario!

I know N!!! This just makes my mouth water for the season to start just so we can see this lineup. Justin Smith stunts well too.

It seems to me that Fangio truly has the toys to make his plays work. He can maneuver the players around given certain O formations, reacting to what down and distance they have.

Still, I would love to have Willis blitz the middle with Aldo stunting inside, Spikes/Bowman dropping back, with a corner blitz on the edge while the front three pressure.

For sure...and good point about a CB blitz. This is actully a strength of Clements and Spencer and probably will be of Mays as well. We rarely used it under Manusky but every time we did, it was very effective (like a Willis pass rush up the gut). This is something we see more common with a Steeler/Packer team when you have physical C's who play tight up at the LOS; much easier to run CB blitzes off of. I'm hoping Fangio brings that same scheme (aggressively creative) to this team!
He will double Vernon Gholston's career total
The square root of 49!

-7?

-9fA

Good posts.

Maybe a corner blitz by a big (6' 200 lb), fast (4.3) corner who's got the speed to stay with a WR OR get to a QB? A real good athlete, maybe--like Culliver for instance?

Intriguing, to say the least.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Maybe a corner blitz by a big (6' 200 lb), fast (4.3) corner who's got the speed to stay with a WR OR get to a QB? A real good athlete, maybe--like Culliver for instance?

That was the EXACT thing I thought of when we drafted him...not a question in my mind about it! With the speed of Mays and Culliver, you can almost treat them like an extra blitzing LB at times while dropping Aldon or Brooks back in zone coverage for a few seconds and disguise that blitz; roll coverage, etc.

That was the EXACT thing I thought of when we drafted him...not a question in my mind about it! With the speed of Mays and Culliver, you can almost treat them like an extra blitzing LB at times while dropping Aldon or Brooks back in zone coverage for a few seconds and disguise that blitz; roll coverage, etc.

Like tico says in one of his posts above, Fangio has got some new tools to utilize. This is gonna be fun to watch, I think.

You think Culliver will be the nickle back, covering the slot, at least to start? That would put him closer to the QB for those disguised blitzes you're talking about. Blitz him and let Willis or Bowman run with the slot WR--which they could do with their speed.

I'm really interested to see what becomes of Mays. Seems like he was a Singletary pet project, but he does have great physical ability, and a desire to learn and succeed.

Like tico says in one of his posts above, Fangio has got some new tools to utilize. This is gonna be fun to watch, I think.

You think Culliver will be the nickle back, covering the slot, at least to start? That would put him closer to the QB for those disguised blitzes you're talking about. Blitz him and let Willis or Bowman run with the slot WR--which they could do with their speed.

I'm really interested to see what becomes of Mays. Seems like he was a Singletary pet project, but he does have great physical ability, and a desire to learn and succeed.

Culliver is definitely nickel material, especially his rookie year. Harbaugh likes the strength he shows on the field.

Which really was the theme of this draft, wasn't it!?

Mays also fits into that "developmental" category as well. The kid works harder than anyone. And despite Goldson being a FA and us NOT drafting a safety within the first three rounds (Culliver will be the slot guy like you mentioned) may bode well for Mays and Smith. If Goldson signs LT though, there may be a fight for Mays to start between Goldson and Smith. This will be an interesting development (pun intended again)

Mays also fits into that "developmental" category as well. The kid works harder than anyone. And despite Goldson being a FA and us NOT drafting a safety within the first three rounds (Culliver will be the slot guy like you mentioned) may bode well for Mays and Smith. If Goldson signs LT though, there may be a fight for Mays to start between Goldson and Smith. This will be an interesting development (pun intended again)

Agreed. Seems to me that, even though the draft wasn't filled with "big name" guys, there was a distinct, multi-faceted purpose to it. A "theme" as you say.

Not just "lets get the goodest players we can get" but rather, "knowing what our system is, and given the talent already on the team, what players do we need to make the system more successful."

Remember those comments we heard from Baalke about how great it is to sit and talk football with Harbaugh. Sounds like those discussions resulted in some very well thought out draft plans.

I'm more convinced than ever that Harbaugh is the right guy. I can't wait to see what kind of game planning lies in the future--no more vanilla D and "run, run, pass, punt."

Baalke drafted for the system. Now its up to the players selected and their coaches to make it work.

Agreed. Seems to me that, even though the draft wasn't filled with "big name" guys, there was a distinct, multi-faceted purpose to it. A "theme" as you say.

Not just "lets get the goodest players we can get" but rather, "knowing what our system is, and given the talent already on the team, what players do we need to make the system more successful."

Remember those comments we heard from Baalke about how great it is to sit and talk football with Harbaugh. Sounds like those discussions resulted in some very well thought out draft plans.

I'm more convinced than ever that Harbaugh is the right guy. I can't wait to see what kind of game planning lies in the future--no more vanilla D and "run, run, pass, punt."

Baalke drafted for the system. Now its up to the players selected and their coaches to make it work.

That's it right there.

That's why I love this draft class. What a different coaching staff we have especially at OC and DC and of course, HC. Just those three will do wonders. Then you have one of the best ST coaches in the league who just received so many potential ST players that fit the mold.

With that said, both Fangio and Leavitt will get Aldon where he needs to be, sacking the frickin' QB! I can just see Leavitt going after Aldon, getting on him, and teaching him the technique that he needs.

Who was our previous LB coach? Yea, that's what I thought.

Leavitt FTW!!!!
  • zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
all of them
Originally posted by zero:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
all of them

Hopefully more than your handle.