There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many sacks will Aldon Smith have in his rookie season?

How many sacks will Aldon Smith have in his rookie season?

Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
People are pretty optimistic here. Not being a downer but he still has a lot to learn, and may take a while to start. He'll defiantly get some playing time but I would be happy with 4 as a rookie.

Merriman had 10
Ware had 8
Harrison (his first year as a starter) had 8.5
Porter (his first year as a starter) had 10.5

I dont think 6-7 is too much to ask for

For now, all we have to compare him to is another Niner 1st rounder who was picked to be a pass rusher and that is Manny Lawson. Despite starting 12 games his rookie year and playing in all 16 and primarily playing at the WILL spot, he recorded 2.5 sacks (ironically, that's how many he had last year too - five years later).

With Merriman, Ware, Harrison and Porter, you have the perfect storm with supreme pass rushing talent and coaches who know how to game-plan to their strengths.

So realistically, and especially b/c of the huge weaknesses we have in the secondary, the emphasis will be on pass rushing even more. But I believe this will be for ALL of the front 7, not just the WILL, SAM and RDE position. But in order to do this, I think Aldon will be rotated heavily on with someone like Haralson or LaBoy to keep our front 7 fresh and active. I "believe" Fangio will game plan more and more with him to stunt inside, at both the SAM & WILL positions, up at RDE next to Smith, moving him around behind the LOS, pre-snap looking to shoot gaps (ala Merriman), etc.

So, despite not being on the field as much as the aforementioned in his rookie year, the "quality" of the chances he will get may be better. My guess is that he'll have between 6-8.

The guy on the other side though, I think is going to blow up (A. Brooks) and should have over 10 followed by Willis, Aldon and LaBoy/Haralson.

Championship!

[ Edited by NCommand on May 4, 2011 at 16:20:32 ]
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Idk why but I read this as, "How many snacks will Aldon Smith have in his rookie season?"

lol

I LOL'd
5 sacks for smith but I hope that he can force the QB out of the pocket a lot
People are pretty optimistic here. Not being a downer but he still has a lot to learn, and may take a while to start. He'll defiantly get some playing time but I would be happy with 4 as a rookie.

Merriman had 10
Ware had 8

Merriman was roided up and hasn't done anything since being busted. Ware is a good exception, but generally rookies just don't get that many sacks. I'd be happy with 4-5 as well.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Merriman had 10
Ware had 8

Merriman was roided up and hasn't done anything since being busted. Ware is a good exception, but generally rookies just don't get that many sacks. I'd be happy with 4-5 as well.

how many of them were 20 years old?

i think he will have his presnece felt he will rush and put pressure on the qb but i dont think he will explode this year i think 5 sacks sounds about right but he will definitally improve
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Merriman had 10
Ware had 8

how many of them were 20 years old?

i think he will have his presnece felt he will rush and put pressure on the qb but i dont think he will explode this year i think 5 sacks sounds about right but he will definitally improve

If he can get 5 his rookie year, he'll definitely improve. That's a good number. Even the best usually start off with low sack totals.
5-10
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ninertico:
The square root of 49!

-7?

Aldon Smith. Takes sacks away.

-9fA

im sure he meant absolute value

No, no...I like the fact that Aldon can take sacks away. Like a BOSS!

Seriously though, he can surpass Manny's rookie totals easily because Fangio will use him appropriately. Forget dropping back, let that fall on the shoulders of those that have been doing it in the past. Sure, maybe a few times to keep the O honest, but Aldon's main responsibility is to get after the QB from different locations. Fangio will use his other back seven to position around Aldon for attacks and also ensure the protection from the front three.

I can see Smith and Smith being terrors from the same side.

Justin and Aldon, the Mizzu Misery!

I'm getting myself too excited.
Let's see...he just turned 21 and he's only played one full college season, anything over 5 sacks would be amazing.
  • titan
  • Veteran
7.5 sack!, but the pressure he will put on the QB will be evident we have a pass rusher!
I don't think he will be playing every down. I am guessing between 1-5, leaning towards 2-3. Good to see that everyone has such high hopes for this guy, but I just don't see it happening.
Google won't search for Aldon Smith because it knows you don't find Aldon Smith, he finds you.
  • cools
  • Veteran
So many times ive seen Justin Smith force the QB to scramble out to the right,
Unfortunately, we often didnt have enough pressure coming off the left edge
Alot of missed oppurtunites for easy sacks

Baalke said A.Smith will likely play Sam, I could see him racking up some big sack numbers if Justin continues to create havoc from the other side

I'll go with 10