Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
who is jb?

maybe he thought his name was Jim Har Baugh

Maybe he thought our GM was Jim Baalke, and our HC was Trent Harbaugh? I'm just as confused as everyone else.
its called a typo get over it. what was it 4am when i posted that?
Originally posted by braap49er:

b***h move

2 different people posted the same thing "jb" in different threads. I was actually trying to figure out wtf was going on.
I think they wanted Kaep. But he his a big projection to be realistic. He needs tons of work and time to adjust an lots of coaching.

2 different people posted the same thing "jb" in different threads. I was actually trying to figure out wtf was going on.

I remember seeing that too
  • 8to80

Well, it wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't in the title. I honestly thought you were referring to a JB with the Bengals before opening this thread.

IMO, JH did not want Dalton over CK. I just think JH likes CK much more due to his upside and athleticism.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by atticus:
I think this should end all debate. Watch the video where Kaepernick's parents describe what happened. Niners were going to pick him at #33 but the trade with the patriots fell through. He was our guy all along.

Link

Great link, but it does not settle the debate in my mind. Here's why:

1) We don't know if the 49ers also told this to Dalton.

2) If the answer to #1 above is "no, the 49ers would never do that", then this creates a different problem: the player's agent or Kap himself could disclose this to other teams who call him in between Round 1 & 2, creating a risk that some other team would jump even ahead of us to get him.

I really, really, REALLY want to believe that we wanted Kap, but I'm not yet totally convinced.

Does anyone here remember that there was an article written in 2005 by Glenn Dickey indicating the team selected Smith with the intent to trade with the Bucs and select Rodgers at #5 and get more pics? When the whole thing fell apart, Dickey said we had to pretend like Smith was the guy we wanted all along.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think this should end all debate. Watch the video where Kaepernick's parents describe what happened. Niners were going to pick him at #33 but the trade with the patriots fell through. He was our guy all along.

Link

2) If the answer to #1 above is "no, the 49ers would never do that", then this creates a different problem: the player's agent or Kap himself could disclose this to other teams who call him in between Round 1 & 2, creating a risk that some other team would jump even ahead of us to get him.

I really, really, REALLY want to believe that we wanted Kap, but I'm not yet totally convinced.

Does anyone here remember that there was an article written in 2005 by Glenn Dickey indicating the team selected Smith with the intent to trade with the Bucs and select Rodgers at #5 and get more pics? When the whole thing fell apart, Dickey said we had to pretend like Smith was the guy we wanted all along.

Not Harbaugh's approach at all. He genuinely wants Alex Smith back and has been adamant about it. He is just too intense and too much of a football junkie to try and play this game.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by Shaj:

Link

Not Harbaugh's approach at all. He genuinely wants Alex Smith back and has been adamant about it. He is just too intense and too much of a football junkie to try and play this game.

Wanting Smith back has nothing to do with my point. No HC or GM in the league is above doing smoke screens in the draft, no matter how intense they are or how much of a football junkie they are. Not one.

i believe he was harbaugh's guy. If we had wanted Dalton that bad we would have gotten the deal done with NE. They obviously felt that Cincy wasn't going to pick Kaep and NE wanted too much for the pick. and waited before trading with (Denver? i forget). He wasn't MY first choice but knowing he's Harbaughs makes me excited. now this stupid lockout needs to end so we can get him going!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Harbaalke preferred the stronger armed, more physical Kaepernick over the red headed Dalton.

[ Edited by mayo49 on May 1, 2011 at 08:38:14 ]
I actually think we would've taken Dalton over Kaep, just because he would have a quicker, easier transition into the 49ers system. Dalton ran a much more sophisticated offense at TCU than Kaep ran at Nevada.

But all in all I'm happy with Kaepernick
My take. He wanted Kap first and Dalton as a backup. He came to see Kap first, wouldn't wait until Nevada pro-day 3 days later (26 teams came and they didn't see the Niners present - was a Nevada record of teams attending), that is when the spiral contest, occurred. Then no invite the the 49er facility for him. Didn't 4-5 of the top QBs get invited? Why other than hiding your true interest in Kap? Trading 4th and 5th pick to grab him when you could have gotten all three, Stanzi, Mallet and McElroy.

When Dalton went ... time to pull the trigger.

Now, I full admit ... could have been the other way around. Dalton then Kap as back up. Because the draft moves and behavior would have been the same.
If the 49ers did have Dalton higher on their board than Kaepernick hell will freeze over before they admit it.

It's an interesting question, personally I feel if Haurbaugh really thought Dalton was his man he would have surely paid any cost to secure him.

Then I think Dalton hands down would beat out Alex Smith for the starting job sooner or later. I'd bet very soon..
Kaepernick being the project that he is gives mr bust another couple years to keep us out of the playoffs. Haurbaugh has decided Alex Smith is his man, if you need anymore indication let me point to the fact hes not under contract yet still he's walking around with the 49ers playbook..

Friday afternoon I was super excited Dalton was still on the board, I thought for sure we would leap the bengals to grab a guy that potentially could help us win right away. Obviously when the Bengals took him & we traded up to the NEXT spot i wasn't impressed, Kaepernick is an incredible talent but his future as a starting NFL quarterback is far from clear.

The way I see it Haurbaugh chose Smith over Dalton.
Share 49ersWebzone