There are 115 users in the forums

Round 7, #211, the San Francisco 49ers selects Bruce Miller (DL) Central Florida

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I'm still in the "let him play OLB!" camp.

But I gotta be honest, dude shows some nice moves with the ball in his hands:

That play shows exactly why he'd be great at LB. He can get to the QB, and can drop in coverage.

It also shows that he has a wicked stiff arm and is willing to put his head down and run over someone lol
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we better keep him as OLB this guy looks like a james harrison type player

Like James Harrison he might need to be cut and resigned a few times before the light turns on.
scrub
I really wanted Marecic to be on this team but it seems that JH will be grooming this kid for the FB position, which he's never played before. I hope really hope he works out cuz Stanley Havili was still on the board before this pick (rated 2nd best FB by some experts).
If he plays at LB, he's my favorite pick of this draft.
Well, with as many sacks as he had, he should have a pretty good head start on how to pick up blitzes. Hopefully.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Owen Marecic 2.0?

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. To take a guy who was one of the best sack artists in his league and try to force him into becomming a FB. A position he never played before at any level. The guy got so many sacks for a reason... And there are OLB pass rushers his size. At least try him there first for goodness sake...

This is the type of guy the WZ faithful will gleefully call "bust" or "wasted pick" in a year or a few years. But you see we busted him! We are asking him to play something he never played before and is not comfortable with. Rather than the super productive defensive player he was. OLB pass rusher would be perfect for him. He can rush the passer and was productive at it. Try him there!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. To take a guy who was one of the best sack artists in his league and try to force him into becomming a FB. A position he never played before at any level. The guy got so many sacks for a reason... And there are OLB pass rushers his size. At least try him there first for goodness sake...

This is the type of guy the WZ faithful will gleefully call "bust" or "wasted pick" in a year or a few years. But you see we busted him! We are asking him to play something he never played before and is not comfortable with. Rather than the super productive defensive player he was. OLB pass rusher would be perfect for him. He can rush the passer and was productive at it. Try him there!

I am in 100% agreement with you on this brother.

This is like a SingleBrainCell or NoWin move. I thought this was the Harbaugh regime. If you wanted Owen Marecic pick Owen Marecic. Leave this guy alone! He's good at what he does. James Harrison and Dumervil are around his size. Don't say it can't be done at his size. It can! Try him there. He had great production. And it's not like we have overwhelming pass rushers...

Well, the guy does have similar intangibles as Marecic. But he is bigger and a much better athlete than Marecic. So as a 7th rd pick, I think it's worth a shot, because he has the build of a FB (bowling ball), plus he's quicker and more athletic than any of the FB's in the draft.

Plus Balke said they would also try him at pass rusher in camp.

This is like a SingleBrainCell or NoWin move. I thought this was the Harbaugh regime. If you wanted Owen Marecic pick Owen Marecic. Leave this guy alone! He's good at what he does. James Harrison and Dumervil are around his size. Don't say it can't be done at his size. It can! Try him there. He had great production. And it's not like we have overwhelming pass rushers...

Exactly, it's not like we actually have Harrison and Dumervil on our team. We have guys like Laboy, Brooks, Haralson. Not guys that strike fear into the opposing offense. Yet we want to take a guy, who every year in college had at least 7 sacks, who teams knew to gameplan for, yet still produced.....and they want to make him a FB? That's mindblowing to me. I can't tell you how excited I was to have him on our team, to find out he was drafted as a FB. Your right it does sounds like the "2 Brainless Wonders" thinking.

Again, if they were to say he's a LB 1st, and we may even try him out at some FB, cause the kid can ball. I'd be fine with it. But you don't take a great college sackmachine and turn him into something he's not.

Exactly, it's not like we actually have Harrison and Dumervil on our team. We have guys like Laboy, Brooks, Haralson. Not guys that strike fear into the opposing offense. Yet we want to take a guy, who every year in college had at least 7 sacks, who teams knew to gameplan for, yet still produced.....and they want to make him a FB? That's mindblowing to me. I can't tell you how excited I was to have him on our team, to find out he was drafted as a FB. Your right it does sounds like the "2 Brainless Wonders" thinking.

Again, if they were to say he's a LB 1st, and we may even try him out at some FB, cause the kid can ball. I'd be fine with it. But you don't take a great college sackmachine and turn him into something he's not.

I agree. This guy on one side and Aldon on the other. That would be something to behold. Forget this FB BS!
I think this pick is a stupid pick, but what do I know. I mean I liked it because small school but monster productive in sacks. Think Charles Haley, then I read they want to move him to full back? What a waste. I mean I get the wanting an athlete, but sometimes its best not to tinker with ones true nature or calling, cause it may explode in your face like the mad chemist.

People were rating this as an A pick, but as a OLB.
LOL He's a 7th rounder. He needs to play whatever position gives him the best chance to make the team.
Share 49ersWebzone